Copper tape atop IC's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've done that on some RF equipment to improve stability,and 'clean up' some digital noise..It helps. One drawback with RF circuitry,is that it can change the stray capacitance,and de-tune things slightly,so you might need to compensate.

But I hope you were staring at a spectrum analyzer when you tried it. LOL Adding metal on a digital section in my experience has never made anything better, it usually involved cutting.
Besides applying RF bandaid's are just used for discovering the true cause of a bigger issue best solved by other means. I don't think anyone can say in their right mind, by globally sticking random pieces of foil atop IC's will be an improvement, sorry.

EDIT>Thermally it would make it worse than just basic black plastic.

Last edited:
Ingenious!!! - little tin-foil hats for our equipment.

Up to now, the more prudent among us have been able to protect ourselves with Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanies, but have been powerless to prevent them from influencing our hifis (and thus our very music!) with their evil rays.

With this new invention, they won't even be able to probe our equipment to learn what we are listening to.

I feel real hope that we are winning at last! :mischiev:

Last edited:
I use two pieces of BGA copper heatsinks (from computer parts store) ontop of a TDA1541A DAC chip, with excellent result. I connected the heatsinks to ground.

Attachments

• RAM_Sinks.jpg
    RAM_Sinks.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 358
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.