Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over - Page 62 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2006, 08:15 AM   #611
diyAudio Member

No problem Jan, my friend shall pop in this afternoon, I'll let you know conclusions. I haven't had a chance to listen to the unit yet because I completed assembly late in the night and I could only check the various testpoints voltages after powering on the unit. Everything is spot on

I'm using a cheap Lifetec programmable remote control bought from Aldi, real good stuff for 10.

Click the image to open in full size.

It has all the bells and whistles and of course allows you to turn the volume UP/DOWN and MUTE the inputs.

Funnily enough I discovered that using the CHANNEL buttons of the remote makes the volume control run twice faster than using the regular VOLUME buttons. Nice feature, something between VOL and MUTE actually. Let's call that new function FAST VOL
Old 21st January 2006, 01:12 PM   #612
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default TL072 replacement

The TL072 are duals so you could try the AD812, OPA2134 and OPA2604 but my favorite based on sound, range of applications and durability is the LT1361. You may also want to try the even faster LT1364 but but I find only slight sonic differences when compared to 1361 and the 1361 will be theoreticaly easier on the high speed stiffness of the power supply bypassing although I have never I have never had any problems with the 1364. The AD will probably give you problems. The LT chips will be a big step up from the 072 which are now clearly outclassed by any of the more modern opamps.
Old 21st January 2006, 03:20 PM   #613
diyAudio Member

Default Re: TL072 replacement

Quote:
Originally posted by sendler
The TL072 are duals so you could try the AD812, OPA2134 and OPA2604 but my favorite based on sound, range of applications and durability is the LT1361. You may also want to try the even faster LT1364 but but I find only slight sonic differences when compared to 1361 and the 1361 will be theoreticaly easier on the high speed stiffness of the power supply bypassing although I have never I have never had any problems with the 1364. The AD will probably give you problems. The LT chips will be a big step up from the 072 which are now clearly outclassed by any of the more modern opamps.

Please note that the article specifically specifies TL072's as they give the least (almost inaudible) clicking noise, which is a usual problem in these applications.

So changing an opamp could have unpleasant surprises. It would probably be wise to read the article first to know better what you are doing. BTW, although the TL072 is a dual, only one half is used because of ther easons above.

Jan Didden
Old 22nd January 2006, 02:59 AM   #614
diyAudio Member

Just noticed this thread has a lot of DIYers. So, here's my question. I've looked at the specs for the Behringer x-overs and several other brands. Most seem to have built-in D/A without the ability to pass a digital output. The only one I know of is the very expensive DEQX crossover, which can have a digital out added as an option.

The idea is that it would be nice to use a separate D/A converter for the different channels, after they've been digitally filtered. For example, the Lavry Blue with 2 or 3 different channels could be used to do the D/A for a 2- or 3-way system. The advantage is that the D/A in the Lavry is much higher quality than the onboard Behringer D/A. I also thought about using PC cards, but then I would have to write a bunch of software. Anyway, if the DIY community here has a cheaper solution, I'd love to hear about it.
Old 22nd January 2006, 04:08 AM   #615
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman
I'll be interested to exchange info. One thing I plan is to change the software so that I can set the volume for each pair differently for use with the Behringer
Hello Jan

As promised, I'm back with some info : the K5600 is a fairly nice 6 ch. volume control. It doesn't eat details nor dynamics. Using a remote is a real pleasure (we belong to the lazy civilization don't we). My friend brought it back home and will keep it - he saved the hassle of building the kit - and says that this device is a much better solution than the passive attenuator he was using using.

One thing bothers us though : there is a high pitched hum noise at intermediate volume settings

Noise completely disapears at full throttle or when muting is on. What could it be ? Defective cap in the power supply ? Bad decoupling somewhere ?

Thierry
Old 22nd January 2006, 06:24 AM   #616
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to AnthonyPT
Hi

As mentioned before I have a K5600 SC 6 channel. In the assembly notes it has details of any earth problems that
may arise.It can be seen in Figure 13 of Part2
of the assembly guide.That's page 76 of April 2002
Silicon Chip magazine. Referred to as "Earth loop
breaks" on the main signal board. The Unit price here is back at
AUD$199 again but it not a bad deal with the case etc.
Have seen suitable remotes here in OZ for AUD$10.00
Must get round to finishing my unit. (:-)

Hope this helps if the caps check out OK.

Maybe in the future we could all look at upgrading the
signal board with better ICs all round , The
chip code is easily availbale for mods and maybe other codes
besides Phillips might be developed. It looks good
on the outside with other chips or even 6 Valve buffers
something special might result ! ! ! Why not XLR in and
Rca and XLR out ?

regards

AnthonyPT
Old 22nd January 2006, 06:47 AM   #617
diyAudio Member

Hi AnthonyPT

Thanks for the info.

I have seen that diagram and I'll break the ground plane trace, that's an easy one.

Even with the shipping cost to France that K5600 is a killer (actually I bought three of them). Is it available in other countries than Oz ?

Thierry

Edited

Wouldn'it be wise to start a K5600 thread ?

Old 22nd January 2006, 08:04 AM   #618
diyAudio Member

Default the AK4395 DAC upgrade

Upgrading to the AK4395 DAC, would we then have access to the "Channel Independent Volume with Soft-transition"-features (without hacking the OS first)?
Old 22nd January 2006, 08:40 AM   #619
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

This is a small teaser of my doings the last two weeks...

Here you can see the new analog stage and the 6 channel ALPS volume pot in righ lower corner.

Here is a better view on the analog stage itself

I hope I can finalize to put all the measurement I did in a presentable form and post on my web site today.

Ergo
Old 22nd January 2006, 10:55 AM   #620
diyAudio Member

Ergo,

Thta's not a mod, that's a rebuilt! Probably voided your warranty though...

Jan Didden

Hide this!Advertise here!