Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over - Page 349 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2013, 03:07 AM   #3481
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi folks. I have dragged my dcx2496 system out of storage and want to build a 4ch attenuator. I have very limited funds - I'm wondering if 2 of these DACT copies would be suitable Dact Type SMD Stepped Attenuator 21 Step Free Ship | eBay . What would the best impedance be?

Thanks!
Old 18th June 2013, 10:26 AM   #3482
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Link didn't work for me, but my experience is - keep the impedance low. No more than 10K.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:11 PM   #3483
diyAudio Member

Default here's what I am going to try

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxx510 View Post
Hi folks. I have dragged my dcx2496 system out of storage and want to build a 4ch attenuator. I have very limited funds - I'm wondering if 2 of these DACT copies would be suitable Dact Type SMD Stepped Attenuator 21 Step Free Ship | eBay . What would the best impedance be?

Thanks!
Let me know if you give it a try,it might be a little longer before I get the time!
The attenuators will work ,maybe you can insert one as in the schematic and try it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Modded_circuit.JPG (34.5 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by noSmoking; 18th June 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 19th June 2013, 12:51 AM   #3484
diyAudio Member

Thanks folks. I ordered a couple of the 10k units from the seller Gigawork on ebay. Cheers for the schematic noSmoking - I was just going to make a standalone attenuator with RCA in and out. Maybe your solution is a better one?
Old 22nd June 2013, 03:59 AM   #3485
diyAudio Member

Default well maybe,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxx510 View Post
Thanks folks. I ordered a couple of the 10k units from the seller Gigawork on ebay. Cheers for the schematic noSmoking - I was just going to make a standalone attenuator with RCA in and out. Maybe your solution is a better one?

IF you want a volume control and you want to stay balanced the schematic could work,IF you want a single out it will still work ,if you float the rca connector,in other words don't ground it to the case ,I use 3 nylon washers and a big hole in the chassis,2 big washers on the outsides and a small one on the inside ,like a sandwich,lol,but no chassis connection,to the rca connector.
I haven't tried that circuit out yet, but maybe soon ,let me know how it does,
I did listen to a friends rig and it worked fine,He also used caps to single end his output,sounded good,It was a 4 channel per side setup,with 2 dcx2496's.feed by 1 deq2496.
Good Luck!
NS
Old 23rd June 2013, 12:54 AM   #3486
diyAudio Member

Cheers :-) I think I'll just try the pots in a small case inline with the rca leads to the amps for now. I've just got some attenuating resistors in the XLR connectors and have(i think - it was a while ago!) shorted - to gnd.
Old 7th July 2013, 07:03 PM   #3487
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirohiro View Post
Hello, this is my first post to diyAudio.

Inspired by the linuxworks mod in last December, I put a WM8805 digital output board in my DCX2496.

Actually I bought a WM8805 DAI board from the following, and configured with the pins.

????BlogAI?????????????WM8805_G??????
(sorry they only have Japanese page.)

A level shifter, 3.3V AVR and a transformer were put on the small additional board glued with the board.

http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/home-...dcx2496/01.JPG
http://www001.upp.so-net.ne.jp/home-...dcx2496/02.JPG

Since R3 (100ohm to DAC SDATA) decreased signal amplitude and WM8805 didn't work, I removed it. The above picture was taken before the removal.

Sound quality improved very much!

Next mod is to put a SRC&Clock from Pilgham Audio. I'm looking forward to playing with it.
Hello,

I installed the SRC/Clock from Pilgham Audio to my DCX2496.

The result was fine! After the mod, the sound changed smooth and clear. The improvement was much more than I expected.

Then the next mod is to build a board for multi channel S/PDIF output. But before that, I need to learn EAGLE (PCB software) so it may take several months or longer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg after_src_clock.JPG (302.3 KB, 290 views)
Old 8th July 2013, 02:14 AM   #3488
diyAudio Member

Just in case others have issues with cracking and dropouts on SPDIF on their DCX2496:

After being in storage for a few years mine developed an intermittent problem on the digital input. It would not start up and had pops and crackles on anything but 16/44 src. Turns out that the IDC crimp connection on the input board had a bad connection. Just touching the cable would trigger the dropout. I think this is also a common problem on the outputs. I removed the IDC crimp connector cover and peeled the cable out, reseated it firmly with a small screwdriver and replaced the connector top cover. So far it seems ok.

They really cut corners on the build quality to get the cost down. I would never put one of these into a PA system, it would have to be terribly unreliable.
Old 8th July 2013, 03:44 AM   #3489
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byteboy View Post
This will be part of my 3-way active loudspeaker system.

------- (using the PC interface - Serial RS232), which for me was the decisive factor for buying this unit......
Do they make a USB model. My newest computer does not have a serial port like the old ones had.

Thx-RM
Old 8th July 2013, 07:10 AM   #3490
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
Do they make a USB model. My newest computer does not have a serial port like the old ones had.
I think the usual solution is to use an USB-serial adapter.

Hide this!Advertise here!