Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over - Page 313 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2011, 03:53 AM   #3121
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworks View Post
I posted a request, just on its own, asking about a 'lights out' option. no replies ;(

I plan to do this myself; and have a remote control that enables/disables this.
Hi Linux,

I must have missed that post.. Lets see.. I'm no expert, but I imagine if the level is hi enough to trigger the input red LEDS, and you are not attenuating, adding gain or EQ anything on the DCX, then the signal will be the sam and still light up the output red LEDS too,, That's what I find anyway,, and I am confident that it's just "padding" on the DCX output LEDS and the actual signal has not reached 0dB or beyond..

I have analysed a lot of the FLACS that caused red lights and none of them are at 0dB or beyond.. And since I am not EQ'ing or adding gain, I am not worried that the output red LEDS are lighting up too.. If I was adding gain or EQ, then maybe grounds for concern..

If I am not adding any gain or EQ, then why would the signal be bigger on the outputs?? So if red lights on input, then I imagine red lights on output??

Ta
CM
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:10 AM   #3122
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

If you are running sweeps, yes. But for music you shouldn't see many reds on the outputs.
That's going to depend on the music and where your crossover points are, of course.
Old 23rd September 2011, 04:57 AM   #3123
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I had suspected that the 5V supply is not all that bad. Sure, we can do better, but would you really hear it?
Pano, if not done yet, changing the genuine switched PSU +5v A1 & A2 (IIRC only for the analogic part of the DAC) for a linear one, is something that you have to do. Do a search, everybody agrees that the improvement is huge, in clarity, naturalness...Even a speaker guy like me can ear that. And it's not difficult thanks to the modular structure of the DCX.
Old 23rd September 2011, 05:36 AM   #3124
diyAudio Member

hey murphy,

what I want to do is turn ALL lights off. this visually noisy box is distracting if its installed near your tv lights are great when you want to check something; otherwise, I prefer my stereo gear be visually quiet.

behringer clearly meant this to be used in an audio rack and not in a living room, but still, its useful in many settings. I just hate jumping leds that can't be disabled. amazing that B didn't give an all-lights-out mode; it would be simple at the software level. since we don't have software access, I want to find out if there is an acceptable hack to disable all lights (even lcd backlight). maybe all the panel lights could have their common lifted and the lcd can be dealt with simply by breaking the backlight connection on command. but I have not opened my boxes, yet, so I don't know what I'm in for in the quest for front panel darkness
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:07 AM   #3125
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I posted a request, just on its own, asking about a 'lights out' option. no replies ;(

I plan to do this myself; and have a remote control that enables/disables this.
It has been discussed before, I belive on the Yahoo DCX2496 group.
I posted what to disable to extinguish the lights. Not straightforward as pushbuttons and LEDs are muxed on a buss and you can't disable the 5V as there's also a processor on the display board that needs to run.

jan didden
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:23 AM   #3126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
hey murphy,
what I want to do is turn ALL lights off.
I get you now.. I thoug you were referring to red output LEDS... Ooppss..

Yes, that's what I want to do as well..

If I find out anything I will let you know..!

Ta
CM
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:26 AM   #3127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
It has been discussed before, I belive on the Yahoo DCX2496 group.
I posted what to disable to extinguish the lights. Not straightforward as pushbuttons and LEDs are muxed on a buss and you can't disable the 5V as there's also a processor on the display board that needs to run.

jan didden
That's great news Jan!! i am a member of that group,, but alas,, I do not find it easy to navigate around that platform.. Could you possibly post something here? :-)

btw: Isn't there going to be a mod offered by Ward to "bring back" input C for those using the 'Didden Active i/o'.. Any news on availability??

Cheers!
CM
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:08 AM   #3128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyUHF10 View Post
[snip]btw: Isn't there going to be a mod offered by Ward to "bring back" input C for those using the 'Didden Active i/o'.. Any news on availability??

Cheers!
CM
I'll check and get back to you,

jan
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:44 AM   #3129
diyAudio Member

Straightforward leds Off ? Put a panel on hinges.
Old 23rd September 2011, 11:31 AM   #3130
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

A pretty walnut burl panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radugazon View Post
Pano, if not done yet, changing the genuine switched PSU +5v A1 & A2 (IIRC only for the analogic part of the DAC) for a linear one, is something that you have to do.
OK, I'll give it a try. But you do know that the 5V and 3.3V supples are linear regulated, right? The 5V supples use the standard 7805 regulator and the 3.3V is derived from that. Of course those are fed from the switching supply.

Hide this!Advertise here!