Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over - Page 275 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2010, 04:29 PM   #2741
diyAudio Member

Can't you just get rid of the sample rate converter and thus getting rid of the dull sound, if you only will send it 96k?
Or is there more to the problem?
Old 12th June 2010, 05:49 PM   #2742
oettle is offline oettle  Germany
diyAudio Member

Please see post 2691. Your data source would have to be 100% synchronous to the DCX clock. That means your data source needs to use the DCX clock instead of a local clock. Typically that’s impossible.
Old 12th June 2010, 05:52 PM   #2743
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oettle View Post
Spending $650 for two AS2.100 means spending about $200-250 for the two included crossovers.
What is the addition $200-250?? $650 is the total $$$ for 2 AS2.100 which will run two main speakers (2 amps, 2 XOs).

The DCX is $300, The mod is $500, 4 channels of amplification is $500 = $1300.

btw, Im not interested in your opinion one what has better SQ because we live in different worlds.
Old 12th June 2010, 08:09 PM   #2744
diyAudio Member

I’m sure there is only one world.

btw:

2x AS2.100 (2x€300) = €600 (100dB ADC+DAC)

DCX (€230) + 2x IcePower 125ASX2 (2x€209) = €647 (120dB ADC+DAC, better amps)

SRCmod (€67) + Jan’s active mod (€268) = €399 (low jitter, analog volume control)
Old 13th June 2010, 01:10 AM   #2745
diyAudio Member

Thanks so its $600 vs $1050.

I didn't know the mod was $400 Euro actually. Are the same links as way, way back in the thread, although Im not sure what the SRCmod is (link?) These mods require some soldering skills, correct?
Old 13th June 2010, 01:30 AM   #2746
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

They also require much better eyes and finer hand skills than I have. SMD is a young man's game.
Old 13th June 2010, 01:45 AM   #2747
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

I just tried to buy Jan's active mod from Pilgham, only to find that, in the return email, they made a very cryptic reference to not having any response to an order until early November of this year. No explanation and no real indication that this is the actual time frame.

Just so you know what I found. I intend to leave the order in place, though I think I have 7 days in which to retract it, though again the email had no further information, other than two dates.

Someone who actually knows the folks at Pilgham might want to mention the importance of completeness of information, in return emails, to them.

Bud
Old 13th June 2010, 07:56 AM   #2748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
Thanks so its $600 vs $1050.

I didn't know the mod was $400 Euro actually. Are the same links as way, way back in the thread, although Im not sure what the SRCmod is (link?) These mods require some soldering skills, correct?
Actually it is €600 vs €647.

So you spend €47 for ~20dB (SNR) better ADCs+DACs and better amps and the possibility for several upgrades e.g.: low jitter clock (€67 SRC/Clock ) and remote analog volume control (€270 DCX 2496 active upgrade ).

So the good old DCX is still not such bad at all and it is still very competitive too.

If you are not able to handle SMD there are build versions (+€50). Without soldering skills you could use Wards modding service for a completely modded DCX (€60+) or you can use the original DCX as it is.
Old 13th June 2010, 08:09 AM   #2749
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudP View Post
I just tried to buy Jan's active mod from Pilgham, only to find that, in the return email, they made a very cryptic reference to not having any response to an order until early November of this year. No explanation and no real indication that this is the actual time frame.

Just so you know what I found. I intend to leave the order in place, though I think I have 7 days in which to retract it, though again the email had no further information, other than two dates.

Someone who actually knows the folks at Pilgham might want to mention the importance of completeness of information, in return emails, to them.

Bud
Hi Bud,

I think this must be a fluke. I met Ward from Pilgham last week at a mutual friend and I understood he was still delivering my active mod.
I'll get him to reply to you asap.

jd
Old 13th June 2010, 10:17 AM   #2750
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oettle View Post
Actually it is €600 vs €647.

So you spend €47 for ~20dB (SNR) better ADCs+DACs and better amps and the possibility for several upgrades e.g.: low jitter clock (€67 SRC/Clock ) and remote analog volume control (€270 DCX 2496 active upgrade ).

So the good old DCX is still not such bad at all and it is still very competitive too.

If you are not able to handle SMD there are build versions (+€50). Without soldering skills you could use Wards modding service for a completely modded DCX (€60+) or you can use the original DCX as it is.

Do you have Wards modding service link?

Your numbers just do not add up to all my numbers I have done many, many times over the past two years. Its still comes out to about +$500 US for a decent DCX Mod. Granted I have always looked a the completely built kits. You also assume I would build an amp, That isnt going to happen so I still see this as a $600 vs $1000 debate.

Is $400 really a big deal??? It actually depends.

Last edited by doug20; 13th June 2010 at 10:24 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!