Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over - Page 273 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2010, 12:28 PM   #2721
oettle is offline oettle  Germany
diyAudio Member

I added a comparison list of the different power supply modifications to my Word-File (seel last page). Everybody who is interested in it may have a look at it. I hope there are no mistakes.
Attached Files
File Type: doc DCX table.doc (103.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 9th June 2010, 02:25 PM   #2722
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

Who's got a plot of this 10khz low-pass behavior? I'd like to see that.

Cheers,

Dave.
Old 9th June 2010, 03:23 PM   #2723
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oettle View Post
I added a comparison list of the different power supply modifications to my Word-File (seel last page). Everybody who is interested in it may have a look at it. I hope there are no mistakes.
Hi Frank,

A usefull chart, thanks for taking the trouble.
One comment: the 9V output for my regulator doesn't use an 7808 but uses a FET-regulator for a low-noise output of 8.7V nominal.
Also, the +/-15V regulators shown as 7815 and 7915 are actually brand-selected for low noise and high PSRR at higher frequencies.

jd
Old 11th June 2010, 07:23 AM   #2724
diyAudio Member

With a little help I created a list of all modifications for the DCX 2496 Iím aware of. Additional information, corrections and ideas are welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: doc DCX table.doc (145.5 KB, 97 views)
Old 11th June 2010, 12:49 PM   #2725
doug20 is offline doug20  United States
diyAudio Member

Great stuff...but are all these docs with the same names different? so when I save them I have to rename each one or do they have the same info but additional pages each time?

For 2 years I have wanted to Mod my DCX but I just still do not think the changes are meaningful enough to spend > $500. I would rather switch over to Hypex AS100.2 amps/DSPs for about the same $$$.
Old 11th June 2010, 01:32 PM   #2726
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug20 View Post
[snip]For 2 years I have wanted to Mod my DCX but I just still do not think the changes are meaningful enough to spend > $500. I would rather switch over to Hypex AS100.2 amps/DSPs for about the same $$$.
... and then spend $500 to mod THAT one .
The nature of the (diy) beast, I guess.

jd
Old 11th June 2010, 01:36 PM   #2727
diyAudio Member

Quote:
With a little help I created a list of all modifications for the DCX 2496 Iím aware of. Additional information, corrections and ideas are welcome.
Frank,

The CS3316 mentioned in my active board column should be CS3318. My bad.

jd
Old 11th June 2010, 01:47 PM   #2728
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
... and then spend $500 to mod THAT one .
The nature of the (diy) beast, I guess.

jd
I would find zero reason to mod it. The only reason I would mod the DCX is because of the gain structure issue.
Old 11th June 2010, 03:21 PM   #2729
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan, I corrected the CS3318. Thank you.

Hi doug20, the AS2.100 has a good price performance ratio. To be fair you would have to buy at least two of them to replace one DCX. I myself am using some higher grade Hypex amps and I am pretty happy with them. Nevertheless I still would prefer the DCX because my goal is not to spend a lot of time and to end up with something which is only above average because it has been 100-400 Euro cheaper.
Iím very concerned about the digital level control based on dither. Also the ADCs (100 dB) and DACs (104 dB) are only average. There is no information about jitter performance. And Iím with Jan if you would have a closer look at the design you most probably will find something which is worth being modified.
My conclusion is not only the AS2.100 has a good price performance ratio but also a modified DCX (~400-600 Euro). Everybody has to decide which quality level he wants to get and what he is willing to spend for it. Thatís life!
Old 11th June 2010, 03:45 PM   #2730
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Jan, I corrected the CS3318. Thank you.

Hi doug20, the AS2.100 has a good price performance ratio. To be fair you would have to buy at least two of them to replace one DCX. I myself am using some higher grade Hypex amps and I am pretty happy with them. Nevertheless I still would prefer the DCX because my goal is not to spend a lot of time and to end up with something which is only above average because it has been 100-400 Euro cheaper.
I’m very concerned about the digital level control based on dither. Also the ADCs (100 dB) and DACs (104 dB) are only average. There is no information about jitter performance. And I’m with Jan if you would have a closer look at the design you most probably will find something which is worth being modified.
My conclusion is not only the AS2.100 has a good price performance ratio but also a modified DCX (~400-600 Euro). Everybody has to decide which quality level he wants to get and what he is willing to spend for it. That’s life!
Yes, two of them costs $650 US shipped (Sorry, I love the Euro dropping like a rock! )....still cheaper then a DCX + Modding. MUCH Cheaper then a DCX+ Modding + AMP.

I already know the subjective nature of the SQ discussions...everyone has different content, listening levels, listening distances, room designs, etc. Its a moving target that should never have one conclusion.

Hide this!Advertise here!