Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over - Page 27 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2005, 08:55 PM   #261
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I found that the auto delay feature on mine does not perform correctly
Question: do you select aouto delay short ONLY? If you do not unselect LONG in a home environment, it sets totally wrong delay times. Long is only meant for multi speaker setups in PA systems.
My short delays are repeatable and make sense - i.e. the tweeter ist delayed by app. 3 cm - correct for the mounting position in the ls baffel.
Old 29th January 2005, 06:37 AM   #262
diyAudio Member

Default Transceivers

Quote:
Originally posted by Lyckman
Ok. 3m is way longer than I was aiming for. More like 30cm or so It would be nice if I could "be without" transievers.
Hello Lyckman,
I guess without transceivers I2S is not such a good idea. Some days ago I received a flyer from analog devices. There I found a new chip with differential output which is exactly suited for this application. It has three channels (bitclock, lrclock, data). It is very fast and can also be used for RGB TV-Signals. It's name: AD8133.

http://www.analog-devices.com/en/pro...8133%2C00.html

This chip decreases the effort for drivers a lot!
Charly
Old 29th January 2005, 08:09 AM   #263
diyAudio Member

Yes, I understand about the long and short delay. The problem is with the short delay. The auto function does not work , at least on my unit. Its easy to measure this with an MLS burst to each driver in turn - the dlays are way off more, taking in to full account the difference in acoustical path lengths.

On a related point, late last year, I purchased a Behringer SHARK 110 and found by measurement that with the delay set to zero the box was giving nearly 100msec of delay. I chased up Behringer, but gave up after the third attempt of not being able to get through to a design engineer. Then, I returned the unit and got a refund.
Old 11th February 2005, 08:18 PM   #264
diyAudio Member

Default AD 249 SOIC NOT pincompatible with JRC 4580

Quote:
[i] I chased up Behringer, but gave up after the third attempt of not being able to get through to a design engineer. [/B]

HA ! DESIGN ENGINEERS ! They are too busy looking at other companies stuff.
BTW, please don't make the mistake that I made - I replaced all of the surface mount 4580 OPAMPS with AD 249s just to find out that the AD's SOIC pin configuration is DIFFERENT than those of their AD 249 DIP packages - I just wanted to kill myself. I have been successfully replacing all 4580 DIPS with AD 249 thusfar. Serves me right.
Old 19th February 2005, 02:48 PM   #265
diyAudio Member

Default Improoved Sound Stage and 3D-Imaging

Dear folks out there,
I would like you to participate at one of the most interesting filter designs I ever tested on my Behringer.

Some time ago a French gui called Thierry Martin mailed me some information about a new kind of filter design for speaker crossovers engineered my Mr. Le Cleach. The material was ONLY in French so it was quite hard for me to follow his approach. Finally I found a French person which translates the article to German (uuh, what an ugly German!). After that I started translating the article to real German and also to English for you. The whole material you’ll find here (8am to 10pm german time):

Document and Speadsheet (doc, xls): http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/LeCleach1.zip
Theory of operation (ppt): http://freerider.dyndns.org/anlage/LeCleach2.zip

Well, in-between I tested the approach of Le Cleach with my DCX-2496 and got so astonishing results that I thought I had to let you know about his theory. Believe me or not: With his filter design you get a soundstaging and imaging you never heard before on your system!!

So what has to be done?

First adjust your DCX-2496 the way you have a flat frequency response and time aligned speakers which can be achieved by the auto align function of the DCX 2496 (yes, you need a microphone this is VERY important!). I guess you did it before ;-)

Now read the paper (.doc-file) I submitted in the ZIP, open the spreadsheet and enter the values according to your current DCX-2496 configuration. Do not enter the current time delay of your DCX in the spreadsheet! Now in the spreadsheet modify the values as described in the paper. If you got a good result in the spreadsheet adjust your values in the DCX-2496 so they match the spreadsheet.
A bit care has to be taken at the delay. The auto align function of the DCX calculates values for the delay. To these values the values from the spreadsheet have to be added. This means the distance between the chassis will become bigger. Le Cleach says the speakers (bass, mid) have to be moved towards the listener. With the DCX-2496 you have to move the mid and tweeter away from the listener which is the same!! The distance gets bigger.

Now save this adjustment under a new preset of your DCX, sit down and listen while switching between your old preset and the new one. What you will hear is really astonishing. The whole characteristic of the sound will stay the same (same frequency response) but with the new settings the soundstage expands and you will get a never heard 3D-imaging.

A nice test for the new setup is the SACD “Scared Love” from Sting. In my opinion it is a bit over instrumented and it is sometimes difficult to differentiate between the voices and the instruments. With the new filter parameters the whole soundstage unfolds and ….. you know, I now really love this SACD.

And best of all: The filter modification is for free just try :-)))
Old 19th February 2005, 04:29 PM   #266
diyAudio Member

Would this increased soundstage also exist if I would just sit a bit further to the back of my current setup without any change to the Behringer? Why not?

Jan Didden
Old 19th February 2005, 05:23 PM   #267
diyAudio Member

I have now taken the time to look at this is more detail, and I must say it is fascinating. I will certainly try it out, it makes a lot of sense!

Jan Didden
Old 21st February 2005, 08:07 AM   #268
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Improoved Sound Stage and 3D-Imaging

Quote:
Originally posted by oehlrich
.... Some time ago a French gui called Thierry Martin mailed me some information about a new kind of filter design for speaker crossovers engineered my Mr. Le Cleach. .....

Hi peeps,

I'm the frenchy Oelrich mentions. Thought it could be of interest to have a look at Jean Michel Le Cléac'h following those links (he's the grey beared chap in the middle of the picture).

http://www.melaudia.net/etf03cr1.php

This was shot at the "European Triode Festival" in 2003.
In 2004 (same period) this yearly event took place in Langenargen, near the Constance lake. Jean Michel demoed his method in front of a bunch of passionate Diyer's. I wasn't there but I will attend a similar demo in Paris at the end of March this year. Maybe Oelrich will join

Cheers,

Thierry Martin
Old 23rd February 2005, 06:44 PM   #269
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

I finally made it to page 27 , and I still have two questions:

1. Does the "phase" control simply add some delay, using a calculation based on the HP corner of the driver?

2. Does it work fine to use AES/EBU for A+B and analog input on C?

Thank you very much!
Old 23rd February 2005, 09:00 PM   #270
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tiroth
1. Does the "phase" control simply add some delay, using a calculation based on the HP corner of the driver?

2. Does it work fine to use AES/EBU for A+B and analog input on C?
I guess phase control means a) a time delay b) inversion of the mid chassis

And yes, It works for each kind of input AES or analog

Hide this!Advertise here!