Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over - Page 12 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2004, 02:44 PM   #111
dkxdn is offline dkxdn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I have now check the cable:
75ohm coax cable normaly used for TV and radio tranmission, one end with RCA plugs and the other end with XLR gold from Neutrik.

Then I changed it with another one:
Kimber PBJ cable one end with RCA plugs and the other end with XLR not gold from Neutrik.

And what happens ? All the click and the funny phase sound was gone ! and I believed that the coax cable was the right way.

I have checked the coax cable again and again but it seems to be ok. The connection on both cables on the XLR is the signal on pin 2 and GND on pin 3.
Mhn ???

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 2nd January 2004, 03:12 PM   #112
diyAudio Member

in case you haven't already done this, check if connection pin 1 to 3 will help? (if the dig. input is servobalanced, maybe problems occur because of floating from earth etc.)

What I don't understand:
Everyone wants to do hardware-upgrades, but isn't most of the sound of the processor due to dsp code? The converters etc are normal quality 24/96, good enough to start with. A lot of the audio plug-ins (Rtas Vst etc) also improved huge soundquality the last years, all due to change in code. I think there are probably a lot ways to program filters in dsp's.....

And I agree completely that you'll need a six way accurate volume control after the processor, to control main volume.
Make sure that the processor is always running with max. bitdepth.
With analog/digi inputs used: lets say leave 4 dB headroom on the input (calibrated to 0dBU/0dBFS). If you only play cd's/dvd's/sacd's from a preamp orso it is very easy to calibrate, because the input voltage can impossible become higher. If you play records you need probably more margin.
In this way you should get good results for hifi, otherwise the unit is no good.

Has anyone checked the pricy XTA 226 soundwise? there is a installation version (with no controls on the front configure with notebook through rs-485, or with a short datacable), sells for around 2k. 2 ins 6 out.
In Prosound/PA world this is considered as the best sounding commercial digi processor so far....
There is also the processor used by clair brothers, wich they buy somewhere else I believe (I have found it somewhere on the net in the past, think it was a german company), with a touchscreen, but it is more expensive, looks quite serious.

cheers
Old 2nd January 2004, 03:45 PM   #113
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

The Kimber may well be closer to the spec 110 ohm impedance than the coax. This is liable to me a mess no matter what you do since there is going to be a mismatch somewhere unless you mod one of the units.
Old 2nd January 2004, 03:56 PM   #114
Thunau is offline Thunau  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dokter dB

There is also the processor used by clair brothers, wich they buy somewhere else I believe (I have found it somewhere on the net in the past, think it was a german company), with a touchscreen, but it is more expensive, looks quite serious.

cheers
That processor is sold now as the Lake Contour. Lake Technologies is from Australia. They originally developed it for Clair Brothers (who I work for) as the Clair iO. It is the most sophisticated audio DSP for loudspeaker control available. It costs about $3400.00. For home use it might be a bit overkill though.
Old 2nd January 2004, 04:37 PM   #115
KBK is offline KBK  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have modded my DCX2496 after listening to it stock for about 10 minutes.. to verify it "....was working before he took it apart".

I am getting a Rane unit in on evaluation to play with as well. Except I can't do more than look inside the Rane as it is a demo, straight from the distibutor...

I am also running the unit right now via digital coax fom a NAD 5000 CD player. The pins 1 and 3 are shorted at the RCA jack and run to their prospective places on the XLR end. The opposite for the output cables, where they are open at the XLR end as well as shorted at the RCA end. (the ground and the neg signal wire are shorted to ground at the XLR end and both are ground at the RCA. Pin three at the output XLR remains open and unloaded)
Old 2nd January 2004, 05:19 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunau

That processor is sold now as the Lake Contour. Lake Technologies is from Australia. They originally developed it for Clair Brothers (who I work for) as the Clair iO. It is the most sophisticated audio DSP for loudspeaker control available. It costs about $3400.00. For home use it might be a bit overkill though.
yeah thats the one, i've seen/used it last summer in italy/swiss (with clair i4, as guest eng.).
Nice pocessor, controlsurface with dedicated dsp units... i believe an answer on the bss varicurve surface/host system....
But why is it too much for hifi? some hifi lunatics spent their money on expensive silver-left-turned-moonray pre eldered capacitors , or pre 70's technolgy tube-amps (however, they do sound nice), this is just as crazy to me!
And probably, if you talk to your boss you'll get it for a dealer price....

All off topic, sorry guys....

But I will follow this topic very close, maybe i'll buy the behranger (pronounced in chique french ) too, it costs nothing, nice to experiment with filters, maybe before building the final filters analog.
Old 4th January 2004, 10:23 PM   #117
diyAudio Member

Question pooge?

Isn't anyone else had their unit completely apart 6-7 times in the first few days, cuz they's rebuilding it, like me? anyone?

Heck, I'm going to be usng mine with tube gear in terms of analog in, so I have to re-do the input impedence to 47k or higher from the stock 20k. My MFA only has 6DJ8's on the output and can't drive that 20k input impedence without noticable limits and distortion.. The unit is very likely to never see any pro gear thrown at it - so swapping up to 47k isn't going to be a problem. (it's easier to swap the resistors than it is to fix my high output-high current SS preamp....)

Poogeing is good for you, it'll put solder burns on your chest!
Old 5th January 2004, 06:51 AM   #118
dimitri is offline dimitri  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to dimitri
Default To Jan, Rickren, Awolf and other DCX2496 owners

May I repeat Morten question?
---------------------------------------
Measurements done by this guy:

http://users.pandora.be/airborne/dcx.htm

suggest that the high pass filter levels out at - 40 Db in the mid and bass range.

Can anybody confirm/contradict these measurements?
---------------------------------------
Thank you.
Old 5th January 2004, 02:50 PM   #119
diyAudio Member

Default Re: pooge?

Quote:
Originally posted by KBK
Isn't anyone else had their unit completely apart 6-7 times in the first few days, cuz they's rebuilding it, like me? anyone?

Heck, I'm going to be usng mine with tube gear in terms of analog in, so I have to re-do the input impedence to 47k or higher from the stock 20k. My MFA only has 6DJ8's on the output and can't drive that 20k input impedence without noticable limits and distortion.. The unit is very likely to never see any pro gear thrown at it - so swapping up to 47k isn't going to be a problem. (it's easier to swap the resistors than it is to fix my high output-high current SS preamp....)

Poogeing is good for you, it'll put solder burns on your chest!
KBK,

I am also planning to rebuild mine; do you have anything like a schematic for it? Even handdrawn?

Jan Didden
Old 5th January 2004, 07:05 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Default Bare feet runnin'

I don't have a schematic, I do what I have always done.... by the time I've figured out how to keep the unit operational, while being fully modified, is the time I have finally figured out how it is constructed. All the chips and their suggested layouts are on the net. I just went and downloaded the tech books for them and started wire tracing via my multimeter. The rest of the circuit is standard buffered-balanced I/O and PS. Nothing special. 99.99% of all manufacturers of equiupment tend to stick to the stock implementation of chips suggested by the manufacturers, which is a total shame. Most will perform much better if handled/supported better, as all of us here know. The CS chip is a XO/frequency divider and is extensively used, it appears, so the PS of it is critical, one would suspect.

I had to put os-cons to decouple the A/D and the CS chip on the chip pins directly, as there was no other place to put them. I did that at 2 am this past morning. Warning! Don't have a few beers first......

I now have the RANE 26X multi-processor/computer controlled unit in for eval from the distributor. I will do a stripping of the unit to see what is inside, and then compare the two. A stock Rane against the modded Behringer. Rane makes quite a bit about it's in-house digital audio experts (at least the way things were voiced to me) and algorithms being critical, not the 96khz vs the Rane's 48khz. Due to the 96khz I/O, I believe the modded Behringer will show as being better overall, but we shall see. I have to make cables for the Rane, as it is bare wire connections. It is 8 in, 8 or 12 out, I believe. Some crazy number like that.

Hide this!Advertise here!