Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

input resistor

Hmm interesting

You still need to find a way to drive the ADC balanced with a 2.5VDC offset. Hard to do with caps ;)
Also there is 10dB attenuator just before the ADC on the DSP board to make it compatible with pro levels.
You can take it out (see the schematics, it's a 330ohm SMD resistor) so that can be fixed easily.

jan didden

Take it out like in bridging?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I've seen people use transformers for the inputs and outputs to get around the I/O board...but not caps on the inputs.

Was just curious since I wanted to change everything over to single ended/RCA inputs and outputs.

I can build it, but no way I can design it...that's way over my head.

Yeah you can do it, with transformers you can float the secondary tap on 2.5VDC and drive the ADC from the secondary balanced.

jan

I may just put the sucker in the car stock and go with that for a while.

Though Edcor transformers aren't so expensive that I couldn't do all of the inputs and outputs at once and be done with it...90 bucks for all of them and never have to worry about ground loops is a good investment for the car environment I think. I would spend as much or more money on 8 XLR adapters.

Most folks it seems are going with 1:1 600-600 ohms, but I saw a few folks using 1:4 and Jan recommended 10k-10k.

The transformers we built for Pano here on diy were 1k:1k. The 1k was met with inductance and I haven't any idea why you would want to use a 10k to 10k, where that 10k was also met with inductance. Just adds unneeded DCR and causes a poor match to the opamp out of the DAC chips. Our units were more expensive than Edcor's and were higher performance, physically they drop right in to the space available and Pano mounted them on a PCB he made up. Edcor makes fine transformers and I am sure you will like them.

Bud

Done in the DSP, exactly, but I have been reading that it's better to keep the levels as close as possible of 0 dB as changing it to + or - is eating bits and results theorically in a lower quantification, like 12, 10 or 8 bits remaining available.

OTOH, working with gain on the output exposes you to digital clipping, and this one, no need for golden ears to make it sure.

The best attitude must be to start with drivers having comparable efficiencies.

Hi
I belive that this was answerd before...but my pc is dead and search via mobile is frustrating...but ;
Can I place 6 channel, 5k, pot at the output of DCX2496 to drive Pass aleph clones (aleph30 and aleph mini) without preamp ?

Should I worried about something ?..just plug and play ;) ?
Thanks

Well,
The output of the dcx is balanced so you will be able to Control only 3 channels.
Second, putting a por at the output is not good; the best place to put a 6 ch pot inside the dcx is after the first opamp, before the opamp that balances the signal.
At that point the signal is still unbalanced so you will be able to drive the 6 channels.
I did so in mine

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The DCX should be happy with a 5K-10K load, no problem. You'll probably end up turning it way down, the output is pretty hot for consumer level amps.

If you keep the DCX, you should eventually modify it to bypass the opamp output stage. It isn't very good.

Right now im useing pioneer reciver as preamp (6channels)...unbalanced...and then unbalanced to amps.

So I dont mind have it unbalanced...
But then again if I can place it as Mamabo advice I will do it..just have to figure how ;)..(will google for pictures and service (once I get to PC)

Thanks you all for replay and advice :)

Last edited: