Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Quite a lot RF EMI there inside the DCX, maybe a new PCB design for the "mother board" would be needed:

Signal from DAC's to I/O card

Unless you can't EMI shield the mother board then the only viable option to get a clean environment for the analog circuits is to use an optical digital (TOS/ADAT-) link outside of the rack box to external DAC's, right?

That is the signal from the DAC? what if you feed that into a active filter , which looks like a passive filter at frequencies high enough that the OP starts to ge tbandwidth limited? ie a proper post dac filter topology (not sallen-key)

and further removed by post filtering at 100kHz or more?

I mean, if my cell phone does not disturb the audio equipment ?

DCX2496 Noise Problem:

I've had my DCX for 1.5 years now and have been having flakiness problems with the unit.

First one: power the unit on and the display goes blank with a BLIP like noise with a cycle of 3 per seconds. I litterally have to smack the unit hard to make that go away and start up properly. What the hell is that?!?

Second: I also get this random wind blowing mixed with scratching like noise in at least one of the output channels, sometimes two. It starts low then rises until it "pops" then the noise starts low again till it goes loud and pops and cycle continues. It is loud enough that I can't hear the good sound it's supposed to play. If I power down the unit for about 10 mins then it's ok again ...for about 3 mins then the noise comes back.

Anyone with same problem? Any solutions??

Does anyone have any feedback/comments about the Bunker BPD-1 Loudspeaker Management System? Is it better than the DCX2496??

Last edited:
Does anyone have any feedback/comments about the Bunker BPD-1 Loudspeaker Management System? Is it better than the DCX2496??

It's always interesting to see other products. This one has nice features, as the 4 ways, an integrated RTA for the mobile PA guys, then some discutable options as rather limited delays (12 ms !!!), or privilegiating a global graphic EQ rather than a multi band parametric by way.

But for me the non go warning comes from NO digital input and NO PC software control. A word of difference.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions gentlemen. I'll open her up this weekend and take a look at the physical connections, do what was suggested.

I've tried the factory reset with limited success. Worked for about 5 days and the problem came back.

Re: Bunker BPD-1 ... On paper it seems like a solid unit but can't find any reviews and comparisons. The specs does say Parametric EQ (3 bands per way). However, I do like the DCX2496. Just looking for something with better quality components and reliability.

Last edited:
Behringer DCX2496

Hello everyone .
I have loved hifi for over 40 years . made many speakers & a few amps in the distant past. I now want to go to active loudspeakers under construction .This is where its going I have obtained a DCX2496 for a nominal sum .It did light up originally but it only has the screen lighting up now . Checked the wiring ,ribbon cables & examined under a magnifying glass the soldered joints as far as I can tell Ok .Power supply maybe? Has any one got any ideas please . Or is it a write off I hope not
Many thanks pedro11

All I did was pop the opamp out of it's socket altogether. I thought that would remove two channels and then I'd confirm which opamps serve which output jacks.

Hi Feathed,

Send Jan Didden a PM, or email Ward Mass, they will be able to tell you which opamps go to each output..

Strange Jans hasn't replied on here,, he usually monitors this thread and is very good at providing tech support..

Cheers..

CM

Hello everyone .
I have loved hifi for over 40 years . made many speakers & a few amps in the distant past. I now want to go to active loudspeakers under construction .This is where its going I have obtained a DCX2496 for a nominal sum .It did light up originally but it only has the screen lighting up now . Checked the wiring ,ribbon cables & examined under a magnifying glass the soldered joints as far as I can tell Ok .Power supply maybe? Has any one got any ideas please . Or is it a write off I hope not
Many thanks pedro11

Hi Pedro11,

With suggestion to check the PS connector (input to PS board) I remove the plastic quick disconnect, remove the crimped prongs and soldered the 2 bear wires right onto the PS board. Of course, must remove the plastic recepticle on the PS first.

It's been 2 full days of use and no more issues ....yet :xmasman: Prior to this fix, the glitchy noise I had kept coming back every 10 mins of use. Been running for several hours now and no noise.

This may or may not fix your unit's issue but it certainly doesn't hurt to solder the power leads directly to the PS board. You must disassemble the PS board before de-soldering and re-soldering.

Last edited:
Based on the bits I've read here in this thread a power supply mod is likely to provide the most obvious sonic improvements. Can anyone with some experience modding the DCX 2496 comment on this? I would like to do one mod to my DCX 2496.

Assuming the PS mod provides the most benefit in a single stroke, is the Pilgham Audio mod the best one available for the power supply?

Thanks for the advice.

Nope. If you're using it with domestic kit, the most important upgrade is the inputs and outputs, (inputs not so much if you're using digital in).

Here's my version with "found" traffos and transplanted into a bigger box:

Attachments

• IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 333
Nope. If you're using it with domestic kit, the most important upgrade is the inputs and outputs, (inputs not so much if you're using digital in).

Here's my version with "found" traffos and transplanted into a bigger box:

So the outputs it is then. I see you've got transformers, are they really better than caps? I kind of like the sound of Wima MKP polypropylene caps but have not heard output transformers in comparison.