Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

I posted a request, just on its own, asking about a 'lights out' option. no replies ;(

I plan to do this myself; and have a remote control that enables/disables this.

Hi Linux,

I must have missed that post.. Lets see.. I'm no expert, but I imagine if the level is hi enough to trigger the input red LEDS, and you are not attenuating, adding gain or EQ anything on the DCX, then the signal will be the sam and still light up the output red LEDS too,, That's what I find anyway,, and I am confident that it's just "padding" on the DCX output LEDS and the actual signal has not reached 0dB or beyond..

I have analysed a lot of the FLACS that caused red lights and none of them are at 0dB or beyond.. And since I am not EQ'ing or adding gain, I am not worried that the output red LEDS are lighting up too.. If I was adding gain or EQ, then maybe grounds for concern..

If I am not adding any gain or EQ, then why would the signal be bigger on the outputs?? So if red lights on input, then I imagine red lights on output??

Ta
CM

I had suspected that the 5V supply is not all that bad. Sure, we can do better, but would you really hear it?

Pano, if not done yet, changing the genuine switched PSU +5v A1 & A2 (IIRC only for the analogic part of the DAC) for a linear one, is something that you have to do. Do a search, everybody agrees that the improvement is huge, in clarity, naturalness...Even a speaker guy like me can ear that. And it's not difficult thanks to the modular structure of the DCX.

hey murphy,

what I want to do is turn ALL lights off. this visually noisy box is distracting if its installed near your tv ;) lights are great when you want to check something; otherwise, I prefer my stereo gear be visually quiet.

behringer clearly meant this to be used in an audio rack and not in a living room, but still, its useful in many settings. I just hate jumping leds that can't be disabled. amazing that B didn't give an all-lights-out mode; it would be simple at the software level. since we don't have software access, I want to find out if there is an acceptable hack to disable all lights (even lcd backlight). maybe all the panel lights could have their common lifted and the lcd can be dealt with simply by breaking the backlight connection on command. but I have not opened my boxes, yet, so I don't know what I'm in for in the quest for front panel darkness ;)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I posted a request, just on its own, asking about a 'lights out' option. no replies ;(

I plan to do this myself; and have a remote control that enables/disables this.

It has been discussed before, I belive on the Yahoo DCX2496 group.
I posted what to disable to extinguish the lights. Not straightforward as pushbuttons and LEDs are muxed on a buss and you can't disable the 5V as there's also a processor on the display board that needs to run.

jan didden

It has been discussed before, I belive on the Yahoo DCX2496 group.
I posted what to disable to extinguish the lights. Not straightforward as pushbuttons and LEDs are muxed on a buss and you can't disable the 5V as there's also a processor on the display board that needs to run.

jan didden

That's great news Jan!! i am a member of that group,, but alas,, I do not find it easy to navigate around that platform.. Could you possibly post something here? :)

btw: Isn't there going to be a mod offered by Ward to "bring back" input C for those using the 'Didden Active i/o'.. Any news on availability??

Cheers!
CM

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A pretty walnut burl panel. :D

Pano, if not done yet, changing the genuine switched PSU +5v A1 & A2 (IIRC only for the analogic part of the DAC) for a linear one, is something that you have to do.

OK, I'll give it a try. But you do know that the 5V and 3.3V supples are linear regulated, right? The 5V supples use the standard 7805 regulator and the 3.3V is derived from that. Of course those are fed from the switching supply.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip]btw: Isn't there going to be a mod offered by Ward to "bring back" input C for those using the 'Didden Active i/o'.. Any news on availability??

Cheers!
CM

Pilgham just told me they have the PCB ready but need to do some final verification tests.
Maybe drop them an email to get notified when they are available.

jan

Right, but as they come from a couple of 7805, themselves seeing a common 8 V from the switch PSU, maybe it's the reason.

I forgot about the (so beautiful !) Janneman's boards, but for the french school it's just removing the regs and soldering here the output of the 317 circuits.
This is the simple mod that IMHO has such a big impact on the sound quality. As I did the same surgery for all the other tensions, I can attest that the sound changes are mostly then in the imaginary domain. Or said differently, after the long times it takes for finishing the job, the auditive memory is not trustworthy.

Anyway, about the idea of switching off all the led and screen display when listening seriously, it's not that futile, because (in standard config IIRC), the screen is powered by the same +/- 15 volts that's in use for the genuine Op amped output stage.

Pilgham just told me they have the PCB ready but need to do some final verification tests.
Maybe drop them an email to get notified when they are available.

jan

Ok, thanks Jan, will do..

btw, I (finally) found the thread about disabling the LEDs on the Yahoo group, and have downloaded the pdf provided for this mod.. Is it ok to copy some commentary on here, and to attach the pdf ??

Ta
CM

Straightforward leds Off ? Put a panel on hinges.

I was also worried about burn-in. after years of having the same pattering going, lcd's do tend to have burn-in.

so, in 'all lights out' mode, I'd like even the lcd's to not be driven. backlights of course, would be off; but not even the lcd data would be active (or sent thru). ie, there would be a 'setup' mode and then a 'use it' mode. you should be able to swap between them easily. it annoys me when a vendor forces a disco light show on you and you have no way to disable it ;) again, I know its a pro audio piece and the idea of lights-out is not a 1st level feature for their must-have list; but it sure is for home use, imho.

Last edited:
so, in 'all lights out' mode, I'd like even the lcd's to not be driven. backlights of course, would be off

Linuxworks, the solution is on the yahoo DCX group.. I don't if I can paste the info on here,, but everything you need to know to achieve this is on there, including a pdf which shows the wiring procedures.. I haven't done it yet, but I will have a go pretty soon..

Ta
CM

Last edited: