Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

Today I meaasured the voltages between the DEQ and DCX and M-1000 ----- ZERO!Well it ought to be,the chassis are joined together in the protecive shield (Skydds jord)in the main cables!I now tried a 0,1uF in series in the pin 2 in the XLR cable --DEQ - DCX ,no difference,the same sparkle!So it´s not DC then,It must be level problem,in the S/PDIF input of DCX...:dead:

Have I made a mistake?

Hi, Newbie here. Ordered a Behringer DCX2496 like most of you because of all the features it contains. I've got a pair of Altec Model 19s that in my opinion needs the Rane Me 15B EQ to bring out the best in them. Especially the low end. The 2496 scares the #### out of me after reading all these great posts on the unit. I WILL figure it out if it takes me 6 mo to learn it. My question is, I've got a nice Sumo Athena II pre-amp. Will I still be able to use it with the Behringer? Also plenty of power with a Niko Alpha 450 power amp. One more thing , will I need to upgrade my 1985 Niko CD player? Thanks in advance. This forum rocks...
Best Regards, Mark S.

The 2496 scares the #### out of me after reading all these great posts on the unit.

Too many cooks spoil the soup.

I've read everything there is to know about the DCX. I use mine
everyday and I've done plenty of listening tests.

Here is my conclusion;

1. Don't do any mods.
2. Turn on the DCX with nothing connected to it and spend
one hour to learn the LCD navigation and how to set parameters.
3. Congratulations, you finished your DCX education, now enjoy it.
4. Don't read anymore DCX posts in cyberspace.

Hi, ryssen

you will have to put a cap at XLR2 AND on XLR3 to be on the safe side.

There is no such thing like "level problem" in digital signals (at least not at that extent)! 0dBFS are the maximum you can reach. but maybe you use too much gain within your DCX ? This should not change though by switching from 44.1 to 96kHz.

My guess is, you probably have a defect SRC.

Hi, 3135x

I completely agree with thylantyr. Just take it and listen, the DCX is very good as it is right from the box - no real need to change anything!
If you love to mod your gear - just do it, its a lot of fun. But let me warn you: you might get adicted to.

Michael

you will have to put a cap at XLR2 AND on XLR3 to be on the safe side.
Will try that.

This should not change though by switching from 44.1 to 96kHz.
Well it does..

My guess is, you probably have a defect SRC.
In DCX then..Tried the DEQ at 96Khz and analog out to headphone amp,sounds fine,well as it should,then connect the DCX crackling again..Then its nothing to do than to do the mod 5 ,and use the M-1000 as SRC then...
the DCX is very good as it is right from the box - no real need to change anything!
Well I feal cind of sick thinking about those lots of bad opams in the analog out,when I have better things connected after it..;)

ok - lets see - the noise from the DCX is very loud and occurs only at 96 kHz upsampling? And only when the DEQ receives a digital input signal?
If the above is correct - you need a new DEQ. Had the same happening to me, only in DEQ digital input - replaced the DEQ and the DCX is fine again.
Sold the DEQ - listing all its flaws - still for 100$ on ebay for someone who needed an RTA...

Between dcx and power amp - only an unbuffered pot, dual six gang, all xlr in/out.

Bryston 4B's - don't know off hand what their gain is.

Speaker sensitivity - Kef 104/2 - from what I remember around 92dB/watt? would have to look it up.

No mods to the DCX

At present I underutilize the DCX only to drive a single subwoofer - x over at 50 Hz. I used to drive DIY sub/sat system fully active - until I got the kefs.

Of course the menu is set on both units to digital in. I feed a digital signal only from an src to the deq and from there to the dcx all with 110 ohm coax cable. The only analogue signal that comes from the preamp will enter the src.

Using a pair of DCX2496 together

I have a pair of DCX2496 and I want to run them from my DEQ2496. But I cannot figure from the manual how to get the digital output from the DEQ into both the DCX's.

I connected the DEQ output into input A of one DCX and hooked the 2 DCX's together with a network cable. The first DCX works fine but the second one sees no input signal.

Do I need to make a balanced splitter cable from the DEQ to both DCX input A's? The manual sure doesn't mention a splitter.

Hi,
pages 31 to 33 show twin outputs from the source mixer to the dual DCX set up.

Since the digital inputs are 110ohm you need a diplexer just like you would do for 75ohm coax.
Otherwise you risk reflections up and down the digital lines.
Alternatively twin output line drivers dedicated to their own DCX.

Can someone draw up a 110ohm diplexer?

Originally posted by AndrewT pages 31 to 33 show twin outputs from the source mixer to the dual DCX set up.
Since the digital inputs are 110ohm you need a diplexer just like you would do for 75ohm coax. Otherwise you risk reflections up and down the digital lines.
Alternatively twin output line drivers dedicated to their own DCX. Can someone draw up a 110ohm diplexer?

p32 is closest to my application -- one DCX per 4-way speaker. But the manual only shows analog stereo feeds into the DCX, not digital, and hence separate feed line per DCX. Nowhere does it show identical feed into dual DCX's.

It seems a bit wierd that for something as simple as my application (dual DCX from a stereo digital feed in the exact format the DCX requires) I need to hand-build an adaptor cable. I mean, where on earth can I get a 110-ohm balanced diplexer?:confused: