Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

I use Digital USB volume control at a Basic Win 10 computer (Async USB out) to a Gustard U12 at 24bit / 192k....

Chopping bits at 24 bit / 192k a non issue...from what I read...sounds better than with Analog pre volume control I had.
Gustard resembles the Breeze unit that I use now to convert USB to SPDIF/coax (AKA sort of AES).

In my application (as per the other thread mentioned in post #4457), my critical requirement is a variable attenuation box with a knob near my chair. It could be either in the upstream digital end or the downstream analog end.

My current little box with 6 ganged pots must have some tracking errors between pots. That's a shortcoming of mechanical pots. But there's a swell device mentioned in other thread is named "Volume 8" is an active ganged 8-channel analog device, us$700.

B.

Last edited:
For volume, or rather gain structure I set my 3 power amps to about as loud as I ever need, then use digital volume control in the software player. 10-12dB was about all that was ever needed in my listening room, which surprised me.

The difference between analog and digital (at no more than 12dB) was nearly impossible for me to hear or measure. The digital tracked a little better and was cleaner, but not by a huge amount...

Right.

Thanks for your essential insight: set amps' attenuations for super-loudness on full bars and then softer listening demands sacrificing only a bar or two of digits arriving in the digital stream, in proportion to how late at night it is in my house.

Much appreciated. Once again, gain management matters.

B.

....That said, I don't use the Behringer output circuitry, which is noisy, so my output was cleaner than stock to begin with, and at a lower level.

Respectfully, here is a distortion measurement made at a low two bars input. The test circuit is long and includes a variety of quite elderly and cheap devices and rusty cables. The laptop feeds a USB-to-SPDIF/coax converter I found on eBay cheap, as the input is digital. Test is 10-20kHz, no kidding.

Perhaps speaking only for myself - and I like great music from my ESL speakers - .04% THD at just 2 bars meets my standards.

There is no need to bother to post the 10-20kHz FR.

B.

Attachments

• Behringer 2 bars distortion.jpg
    Behringer 2 bars distortion.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
W/the immense wealth of knowledge & experience on this thread, anyone know of a third party user manual?

I struggle w/Behr’s manual to setup my DCX Pro. At the moment using it to blend in subs for my HT’s L&R towers.
Side note: not my first rodeo w/active XOs, analog or digital.

Thanks in advance. Tony.

Ha, ha, ha. The original was written in Estonian and translated to German by a Chinese contractor. To save money, Behringer translated from German to English using Google Translation (2010 version).

After you've spent a lot of time learning how it works (in 10 or so years, I understand more than 50% of the manual, I thing), you'll find it actually is reasonably factual.

Having said that, absolutely wonderful to use it for HiFi set-up and maintenance. Even if you disparage something about it (I don't), it is still immensely valuable tool. For example, you could figure out the best XO and then duplicate it with hard-wires.

For example, to do frequency plots on my tri-amp system, you simply mute 5 of the 6 channels with a few presses of the button.

W/the immense wealth of knowledge & experience on this thread, anyone know of a third party user manual?

I struggle w/Behr’s manual to setup my DCX Pro. At the moment using it to blend in subs for my HT’s L&R towers.
Side note: not my first rodeo w/active XOs, analog or digital.

Thanks in advance. Tony.
Honestly I just used the Windows app to control the damn thing. It's incredibly buggy but still better than reading the manual or trial and error. There's also Android app that I haven't tried so can't comment

Hi

I'm tuning my DCX2496. I use unbalanced outputs, so I removed the operational amplifiers at the balanced output, shortened the signal path and changed the element values to those suggested by the manufacturer AK4396 in datasheet. I still have AK4393 but I will soon replace it with AK4396. I installed sockets for the amplifiers so that they could be replaced and installed ne5532 (channels 1-4) and opa1612 (channels 5-6).

Since this modification, I have been struggling with the problem of strange, irregular signals on channels 2 and 4. The sound resembles tapping and rubbing a fingernail on the membrane, and sometimes crackling. Sometimes there is silence for two hours until it suddenly appears, and other times it happens right from the moment it is turned on. Has anyone encountered such a problem?

ak4396.PNG

Yes, I changed all the connectors and ribbon cables on mine, two times already. Also, if it's silent for 2 hours and then starts crackling, it sounds like a result of thermal expansion, therefore likely a cold solder joint anywhere in the path, including the connector itself.

I had the flat cable connector at output board side with lose connection. cheap Cina crap....
Maybe go for less cheap China stuff then? These days everything is made in China, from cheap crap to iphones to really high quality stuff.
I had a funny moment a couple of years ago buying some relays at a car spare parts shop. The guy behind the counter asked "do you want the cheaper Chinese one, or the more expensive Bosch one?". I had to point out that the Bosch part said "made in China" on the box...

Reactions: 1 user