Behringer DCX2496 digital X-over

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I added a comparison list of the different power supply modifications to my Word-File (seel last page). Everybody who is interested in it may have a look at it. I hope there are no mistakes.

Hi Frank,

A usefull chart, thanks for taking the trouble.
One comment: the 9V output for my regulator doesn't use an 7808 but uses a FET-regulator for a low-noise output of 8.7V nominal.
Also, the +/-15V regulators shown as 7815 and 7915 are actually brand-selected for low noise and high PSRR at higher frequencies.

jd

Great stuff...but are all these docs with the same names different? so when I save them I have to rename each one or do they have the same info but additional pages each time?

For 2 years I have wanted to Mod my DCX but I just still do not think the changes are meaningful enough to spend > $500. I would rather switch over to Hypex AS100.2 amps/DSPs for about the same $$$.

Hi Jan, I corrected the CS3318. Thank you.

Hi doug20, the AS2.100 has a good price performance ratio. To be fair you would have to buy at least two of them to replace one DCX. I myself am using some higher grade Hypex amps and I am pretty happy with them. Nevertheless I still would prefer the DCX because my goal is not to spend a lot of time and to end up with something which is only above average because it has been 100-400 Euro cheaper.
I’m very concerned about the digital level control based on dither. Also the ADCs (100 dB) and DACs (104 dB) are only average. There is no information about jitter performance. And I’m with Jan if you would have a closer look at the design you most probably will find something which is worth being modified.
My conclusion is not only the AS2.100 has a good price performance ratio but also a modified DCX (~400-600 Euro). Everybody has to decide which quality level he wants to get and what he is willing to spend for it. That’s life!

Hi Jan, I corrected the CS3318. Thank you.

Hi doug20, the AS2.100 has a good price performance ratio. To be fair you would have to buy at least two of them to replace one DCX. I myself am using some higher grade Hypex amps and I am pretty happy with them. Nevertheless I still would prefer the DCX because my goal is not to spend a lot of time and to end up with something which is only above average because it has been 100-400 Euro cheaper.
I’m very concerned about the digital level control based on dither. Also the ADCs (100 dB) and DACs (104 dB) are only average. There is no information about jitter performance. And I’m with Jan if you would have a closer look at the design you most probably will find something which is worth being modified.
My conclusion is not only the AS2.100 has a good price performance ratio but also a modified DCX (~400-600 Euro). Everybody has to decide which quality level he wants to get and what he is willing to spend for it. That’s life!

Yes, two of them costs $650 US shipped (Sorry, I love the Euro dropping like a rock! )....still cheaper then a DCX + Modding. MUCH Cheaper then a DCX+ Modding + AMP.

I already know the subjective nature of the SQ discussions...everyone has different content, listening levels, listening distances, room designs, etc. Its a moving target that should never have one conclusion.

Spending $650 for two AS2.100 means spending about $200-250 for the two included crossovers. That’s more or less the price for an unmodded DCX with better ADCs and DACs. Adding $100-400 costs for DCX mods mean adding sound quality and I haven’t talked about subjective listening but measurement differences. Based on my personal listening experience a digital level control would be unacceptable for me but that might be different for people listening at max volume.
So I would repeat the price/performance ratio for the different solutions is very similar. It’s a matter of taste and budget only.

Hi Franck,
I want to experience Your mod for DCX digital input (I know Ward Maas is selling It by Pilgham Audio),
I need to know how do You connect (replace) CS8420 by CS8416+AD1896 and clock;can You send me schematic please?
My purpose is to improove the SRC by a lower jitter clock in the same time since I use anolog inputs on transformers.I always prefer DCX with analog inputs compare to digital(even with digital mods).
I want to add a USB input as well working with Your mod + remote selcting digital sources.
I experience already 90% of DCX's mods and I know perfectly which one are worthfull or bad or non necessary; unfortunatly there is a significant cost each time for the usefull mods that are necessary to do!
But to compare other product price with possibilities without mods,DCX+mods stay the best choice... all people I know they prefer passive filters do not use DCX correctly or without mods... but You know that.

I hope it’s not getting too boring. I modified the analog I/O section and added some internet links at the end of the attached Modification-File. So hopefully this version is close to the final one. Additional information, corrections and ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• DCX table.doc
    162 KB · Views: 254
Hi Franck,
I want to add a USB input as well working with Your mod + remote selcting digital sources.

It’s not a problem to select several digital sources via relays before (or after with several transformers) the S/PDIF transformer. Your USB converter should have an S/PDIF output.

Remote selection between analog and digital inputs isn’t such easy because you need to select the analog or digital input in the DCX firmware. But that’s also most probably possible by modding the DSP board and to select the DI0 (analog, ADC IC2) and DI2 (digital, CS8420 IC1) signals via an additional e.g. 74HC157 multiplexer.

I hope it’s not getting too boring. I modified the analog I/O section and added some internet links at the end of the attached Modification-File. So hopefully this version is close to the final one. Additional information, corrections and ideas are welcome.

No Frank, certainly not boring, but very valuable and helpful for anyone trying to decide what to do. I do not know if there is any permanent storage or maybe we write the article that is available now on DIY where we add this file and make a permanent summary, so that is much easier to find. What is listed in this word doc. is the essence of all the pages we compiled here. Jan, do you have an idea since I believe you wrote the article or should we include Variac to help us out?

Here is something to add to the list...:D:D:D
I am sending it for the fabrication, wanted to do it a long time ago...
Board for six channels of Lundahl transformers plus balanced jFet buffer, plus cap multiplayers on power supply for jFets.
Complete DCX output replacement!

Attachments

• vladsbufferX6.a.jpg
    vladsbufferX6.a.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 505
Last edited:
It’s not a problem to select several digital sources via relays before (or after with several transformers) the S/PDIF transformer. Your USB converter should have an S/PDIF output.

Remote selection between analog and digital inputs isn’t such easy because you need to select the analog or digital input in the DCX firmware. But that’s also most probably possible by modding the DSP board and to select the DI0 (analog, ADC IC2) and DI2 (digital, CS8420 IC1) signals via an additional e.g. 74HC157 multiplexer.

In that case maybe the better choice for modification is SRC2496, which already has switching between sources and sends out S/PDIF? Of corse, under condition to sends out the same signal receives and do upsampling on your boards. I am using it as a switcher between several digital sources, and it has analog input. Plenty of space inside the case as well.

Hi Vladimir, thank you that at least you are interested in my Mod-list. I already mentioned your Lundhal transformer solution for analog output. If you have some more information about it I can add it to the Mod-list.

The SRC-2496 might be a flexible source selector but be aware it is sonically not transparent because you add at least one sample rate conversion (SRC). Simple relays for selecting various S/PDIF or Toslink sources have no sonically impact.

@oettle

Frank, do you have a clear picture of how to solder the connector, for your board, to the main DSP board? I purchased your CS8416 mod board quite a while ago but due to work and other problems the hobby got sidetracked somehow.

@AR2

That's a nice looking output board you got there. Can you give us some more details?

Regards