Help with controling a PCM1792 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2010, 04:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to crackerkorean
Default Help with controling a PCM1792

I am trying to add a PCM1792 to a Sony CDP-391. From what I have found this is putting data out in Standard (Right Justified) format and read that the PCM by default accepts I2S.

I was wondering if I could get some guidance on how to setup an arduino to change the settings of the dac. I am not familiar with the SPI interface.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 7th January 2010, 07:08 AM   #2
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

My blog should get you going...
Old 8th January 2010, 10:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the response, seems like I2C is the way to go instead of of SPI. Since I have never done any type of serial communication like this I need to find some more code examples. I was able to get SPDIF working today on the player im modding so that makes me feel good. Now to get this working.
Old 18th January 2010, 01:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok I make some headway but still having issues but hopefully somebody can help me out.

I got everything hooked up and was doing a serial.print to display the ack and I tried reading the register and some times it would be the right data along with the ACKs being 0's.

But some times I get errors. I have crystal from the DSP in the CDP going to the clk on the new DAC and im using an arduino to communicate to the DAC. I think my issue from here is syncing the arduino to the DAC and clk of the DSP.

Any ideas on what to do?
Old 18th January 2010, 04:22 AM   #5
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

In general

1- You set certain pins to enable s/w mode in the DAC.

2- Then after connecting the Arduino I2C to the DAC's I2C pins (making sure either that your DAC is 5V tolerant or by using a level shifting to convert 5V to 3.3V), You can start writing values to the registers of the DAC.

3- After power up, wait a little bit in the Arduino before starting writing values into the registers.

4- Try writing only to the registers you need to configure. At power-up, registers reset to some default value and if you don't need to change those values, don't write to them. Some registers are write only, some read only.

arduino.cc has a lot of examples on how to use the libraries.

BTW, I've never done any kind of programming of this sort, so I started from scratch, If you read my blog starting from the oldest post, it should give you some idea as to where I found relevant information to learn how to program the Arduino.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by glt; 18th January 2010 at 04:25 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!