(need a DAC)..macbook user taking the first step into Hi-Rez - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2010, 04:23 PM   #1
paba is offline paba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default (need a DAC)..macbook user taking the first step into Hi-Rez

Hello

I have an earlier macbook and I would like to try downloading some Hi -rez audio and give a listen.

I'm ok with converting FLAC files for itunes to handle.

What I need is a suggestion of a low cost (asia?) DAC perhaps from ebay, that can do a good job for less 200$.

macbook-> DAC-> preamp.

I would like to avoid buying other items such as airport to get the optical output, or other gizmos that convert USB to something else to then enter the DAC.

BUT, I don't want to hit any USB limitations. I want to play all the way up to 24/192 if I get some. Is this even possible or do I have to insert something else before the DAC?

so what are my options?

Thanks
paba
Old 5th January 2010, 07:24 PM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

You won't get your needs filled with USB (without spending big bucks you have a 16/44 limit). I got an Edirol FA-66 (Firewire) carefully shopping the selection to find a Firewire device that best met my very limited budget. A friend just bought one at Tom Lee's for $325.

dave
Old 5th January 2010, 07:29 PM   #3
paba is offline paba  Canada
diyAudio Member

are you sure, I think my macbook has USB 2.0 ports, I thought that was the criteria to go to higher re-rez with USB.

But it does have a firewire port too, so maybe I should look that way. I'm just scare that firewire might be in its last few years.

/paba
Old 5th January 2010, 11:27 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

All the higher quality, high sampling rate devices are firewire, and i know the video guys complaining of lack of firewire were a big impetus for the 13" hewn from billet MacBook to get a Firewire port so i doubt it is goinf away.

Firewire was developed with media in mind. Right now fast USB means a custom USB controller. Not many people have written the software, and i know of no-one doing faster than 24/96 with USB (and you pay a price)

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!