Need cheap optical input preamp/processor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Guys!
I'm looking to lower the watts in use/standby of my audio system by switching from my old fashioned surround receiver/amp to several class D Tripath amps. I'm new to this- so go easy on me....
I'm amazed at the sound quality from the Tripath stuff.....

Now if I eliminate my power hungry old receiver I'll need a pre-amp or signal selector box with a remote and preferably optical/coaxial inputs. I'll need 3 inputs for my SAT box, Xbox, and ipod/AUX. I saw this MOCHA JY-M2 on Ebay that seems like it would do the trick....any thoughts? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120486629649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

One more question- what is the best way to use a stereo Tripath amp to drive a mono Subwoofer?

THX!

Last edited:
hi, i have an issue, probably not closely enough related to this, but maybe it is....
damn that mocha thing is over $100 and its seems all i am trying to get it to do is accept the digital coaxial audio out from my sanyo hdtv and get that into my tripath somehow. my tripath is the typical cheap one off ebay with only an 1/8 aux in and 2 rca analog inputs. its doesn't have a remote either...

it seems that sony and toshiba are hdtv makers that have included variable fixed analog aux out in the past. sanyo did at one time but only made the aux aud out fixed on my dps550 55 inch tv, which doesn't even come with a damn headphone jack either....
so, i guess i could get some kind of cheap docking station for my ipod to bring it into my hdtv in a way that i can use one remote control to control volume for both my tv and tripath speakers at the same time. i seemingly can't do that now because i bring the ipod in just by plugging that ipod thing (not th 1/8 aux cable) into the ipod with a cable that either has an 1/8 aux in (to go in via the pc input on my tv , which consists of a vga and aux 1/8 audio input) or an ipod cable into the video 3 on my tv that has a red and white analog rca audio input...

so i guess if i put the ipod in some cheap ipod dock that came with a remote then i could use the codes provided by my cable company for ipods to control the ipods volume, or i could get a tripath that utilized a remote? i' am so confused
i want to utilize a tripath amp or t-amp with the digital audio output from my lcd tv. it is a coaxial output, but i am interested in optical outputs as well. so i need some manner of getting the digital audio output, either coax or optical from the tv, into the tripath. i like to utlizie the tv’s onboard speakers along with some bookshelfs that i attach the the tripath? is this incredibly ghetto? i think the sound good together and why not used the tv’s speakersat least a little? the problem with my tv’s aux audio outputs is that they are fixed, and i can’t change them to variable and my tripath doesn’t have a remote control so i can’t key in a code to get my charter cable remote control to control the volume on both my tv and my tripath or the speakers attached to it at the same time…
are digital audio outputs fixed or variable or am i totally confused as to their nature? what would happen if my tv’s aux audio out rca plugs were variable? would that mean the tv or cable provider remote would control the volume to my tripath (which, again, didn’t come with a remote and i don’t imagine could respond to a remote pointed at it trying to input some program code to control it…)
thanks for any help peace

Ok, It took me a couple of reads but I think what you are looking for, in essence, is a way to remotely control the volume of your system. There are some other things that you are asking for (Digital conversion via coax or opt. and use of TV's internal speakers) but lets start with the meat of the issue.

Controlling the volume from a distance:
Since your TV lacks a variable analog output (and the ones that do haven't had enough range in my experience to use for anything other than level matching with other components), you are going to need something to insert between the TV and t-amp. Unfortunately you will not easily find something pre-made for less than that Mocha unit. There are Remote volume kits available. If you are comfortable with this kind of thing (some light soldering, finding/salvaging a power supply, ect.) then this may be your answer. These kits still run around $50 ~$70 without a power supply and do not include things like digital conversion or surround processing so your wish to use the coax or opt. is out. There are some Ipod docks and/or shelf systems that include a line in (for the analog signal from your Television), a headphone out(to go to the t-amp) and a remote but then you are paying for a lot of stuff you are not going to use (clock, radio, attached speakers). Plus finding one that includes all the things you need for under $100 is a chore by itself.

While we are on that topic, why exactly are you wanting to use the digital out if you are sticking to two channel?

As for using the TV speakers with you stereo set up, some TV's can do it. It's usually labeled "Mix" or something like that in the audio menu on your TV. Personally I would stick to just using your regular speakers. Most any outboard speaker is going to sound better than the TV's internal ones.

So as I see it you are left with two choices, Get the Mocha and have your digital connectivity, remote volume control and option to go full Multi-channel down the road. Or you can get a remote volume kit and save a little money but be limited to the analog outputs. I guess it all depends on how confident you are in your tech skills and how tight your budget is.

If neither is an option for you, you can do what I do in my room, use a long stick :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.