Programmable Digital X-over board? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2009, 08:37 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

As a alternative, you could also look into the Freescale Symphony Soundbite: basically a Motorola 563xx based DSP board with onboard AKM codecs and everything. It's not lightning fast at 180 MIPS, but should be enough for iir crossover work and at $150 quite a nice package.
Old 12th December 2009, 03:53 PM   #12
Elbert is offline Elbert  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the info regarding developers kits!

However, I'm not quite sure if I'll be venturing down that path, looks like it is necessary to do quite some configuration and programming with those beyond just plugging in the parameters.. My experience with DSP's and more advanced digital electronics is limited to say the least, and although I could probably dive in to it, I need something I can get to work with a modest effort, lest I'll never complete my project!
Old 12th December 2009, 05:26 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The Motorola DSP is obsolete in the sense that it only operates with 24bits - you don't get much High-End processing as they claim. The DSP56371 were top notch in the mid '90...
Old 12th December 2009, 05:55 PM   #14
Elbert is offline Elbert  Norway
diyAudio Member

Well, that obviously needs to be considered, I don't wish to sacrifice sound quality because of inadequate processing capacity or other issues..
Old 14th December 2009, 07:45 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Double precission is always an option, and going floating point will have a significantly higher price tag. TI has some evaluation/development boards for the 67xx floating point dsp's but these are imho too expensive for crossover development.

But even an 150-ish MIPS legacy Motorola will be able to do quite complex crossover work. As long as you stay away from long FIR filters, dozens of biquads on decent (96k) samplerates with double precision shouldn't be a problem.

As far of ease of programming, there is a certain learning curve involved. Most eval-boards will ship with decent tutorials an most often a dsp-library, often featuring standard processing elements like FIRs, IIRs and FFTs.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The Red Rocks miniPROC is a good bet then. Reasonable cost, system level programming and from what I've seen, it does it with pretty good dynamic range. Based on TI TAS3103 audio processor it has all the blocks for an XO.
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas3103.pdf

miniPROC is only 1-in 2-out but uses highly regarded Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

Haven't got it dialled in yet so no judgments on SQ yet.

Gooki: have you had any USB problems? I got one board won't enumerate with XP.
Old 19th January 2010, 09:39 PM   #17
Banned

PC programmable with analog I/O. Nice, depending on exactly what you intend to do. But depending on what you do want to do, adding another 2 channels of audio output to your PC and some software might be all that is required.

w
Old 20th January 2010, 12:23 AM   #18
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi WB,
That's a valid solution too. I wanted to run a balanced line to each speaker and then have the speaker do it's own XO and amplification. Ultimately part of a networked system.

Never found the need to invest in fanless PC's so the PC has to be exiled to a remote closet. Wifi isn't reliable here and I haven't run CAT5 everywhere......yet.

For now it's best for me.
Old 25th January 2010, 02:06 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

A cheap digital x-over would be from MiniDSP, and it's very easy to use. I'm waiting for the digital in/out module, so can't say anything about the sound quality.

Welcome to CAD AUDIO DK has also a range of cheap x-over modules.

At the moment I have Behringer DCX2496, it's ok but too much noise, and to big to fit in a loudspeaker or amplifiercabinet.
Old 25th January 2010, 10:07 PM   #20
nonsub is offline nonsub  Canada
diyAudio Member

Good timing for me on this thread coming up. I'm looking for options to replace my NAXO 3 way.

I don't believe any of the posted solutions have balanced in + out? Thx!

Hide this!Advertise here!