Programmable Digital X-over board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Just stumbled across a 2-ch plate amp from Hypex Electronics B.V.

The concept of a PC programmable X-over /filter really sounds great.

I was originally planning to build an analogue X-over for my active Speaker project by measuring the speakers and then calculating filters which would "hopefully" give me a good result. and then measure again.

Obviously, this would be an iterative process that would take a lot of measurements and re-soldering of the filters.

Being able to configure a digital filter "on the fly" whilst measuring the results of any iterations would be just so much better!

As I've already buildt some really nice amps, I'm really only after the filter functionality of the Hypex module.

Does anybody know if a programmable X-over board with software is available in kit or ready-made form?

I know there are some fancy DSP boxes out threre, but I just want a board that I can integrate in to the multi-channel amp just like an ordinary analogue filter board.

True Robert,

I have spent some money on other parts of my project as well, so in that respect, a pair of Ground-sound DSP's wouldn't be a totally disproportionate cost as such.

I'll have to give this some serious consideration, the money is not there at the moment, but the benefits are very tempting!

Found this company called redrcoks Red Rocks Audio

They also have a DSP module which looks very interesting.

Unfortunately, there is no pricing or ordering info available at the time.. :(

Not sure if I can publicly disclose RedRocks prices, but their DSP is significantly less that the list price of the DCN23 kits.

Send me a PM if you want more information.

Thanks for all the info regarding developers kits!

However, I'm not quite sure if I'll be venturing down that path, looks like it is necessary to do quite some configuration and programming with those beyond just plugging in the parameters.. My experience with DSP's and more advanced digital electronics is limited to say the least, and although I could probably dive in to it, I need something I can get to work with a modest effort, lest I'll never complete my project! :)

Double precission is always an option, and going floating point will have a significantly higher price tag. TI has some evaluation/development boards for the 67xx floating point dsp's but these are imho too expensive for crossover development.

But even an 150-ish MIPS legacy Motorola will be able to do quite complex crossover work. As long as you stay away from long FIR filters, dozens of biquads on decent (96k) samplerates with double precision shouldn't be a problem.

As far of ease of programming, there is a certain learning curve involved. Most eval-boards will ship with decent tutorials an most often a dsp-library, often featuring standard processing elements like FIRs, IIRs and FFTs.

The Red Rocks miniPROC is a good bet then. Reasonable cost, system level programming and from what I've seen, it does it with pretty good dynamic range. Based on TI TAS3103 audio processor it has all the blocks for an XO.
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tas3103.pdf

miniPROC is only 1-in 2-out but uses highly regarded Wolfson WM8740 DAC.

Haven't got it dialled in yet so no judgments on SQ yet.

Gooki: have you had any USB problems? I got one board won't enumerate with XP.

Hi WB,
That's a valid solution too. I wanted to run a balanced line to each speaker and then have the speaker do it's own XO and amplification. Ultimately part of a networked system.

Never found the need to invest in fanless PC's so the PC has to be exiled to a remote closet. Wifi isn't reliable here and I haven't run CAT5 everywhere......yet.

For now it's best for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.