Simple, good quality DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Although not conventional, I will be ripping all my CDs to a PC hard disk and using lossless compression (the audiophile virtues of this approach for digital deserves a fresh thread...). It will be easy to upsample to 88.2Khz using this approach.

More conventionally, I would imagine a DSP or even a PIC type device (frequencies are low, a simple interpolation algorithm can be used) between the i2s and the DAC should work (I need to read up more about the i2s spec to understand this further).

I'm wondering if the difference between a non-os DAC and one that uses the approach I suggested above will break the "magic" that non-os brings.

Regards,
Dean

Re: just a thought on non-os filtering...

Koinichiwa,

deandob said:
I've been looking at a non-os DAC for a while now. Looking around on the net has shown:
- There must be something special about non-os given the DIY interest and the great reviews.

Yup.

deandob said:
- >10K measurements for a non-os DAC are poor, although it does not seem to affect the sound from what people are reporting.

The NOSDAC only gives you what is on the CD. It does not add anything. I think the whole argument is centered around the question if that which is added by the digital filter is beneficial or detrimental to the sound.

deandob said:
- The out of audio band artifacts are high and difficult to filter given the 44.1Khz sampling frequency.

Yes, filtering is not easy, but I always argue that if your system cannot handle the energy up to around 40KHz it is deffective. If you combine the natural Sinc rolloff with even a 1st order filter you get quickly into "safe territorry".

deandob said:
- Common concensus seems to be that for os solutions its the digital filter that affects the sound quality.

Yes. It is the DF that "makes" the sound. I find that older, more "primitive" filters such as the SAA7220 sound better than modern types with much "longer" filters who give superior measurements.

deandob said:
What about applying a simple sample rate doubler that ups the effective sample rate to 88.2Khz and use an analog filter? The analog filter will be much easier to implement a cut off above 20Khz if the sampling rate is doubled.

A sample rate doubler is a Digital Filter.

deandob said:
Either a chip with 2x upsampling (althugh no longer a non-os solution!!) or a simple DSP to modify the i2s bitstream would work??

I would think that it should be possible to realise a primitive 3-Tap oversampling filter either in a PIC device or even in "hardware".

Sayonara

Finally got the problem. I had a 330K resistor on the output instead of a 330R one:drunk: . That is why I had to put sooo much gain in it to get anything. Now it is playing ok, but still have to deal with this hiss (not hum) that I hear if the gain is a bit high - I am using a 15K resistor in the feedback, anything higher makes the hiss audible. This hiss is not dependent on the music volume. My guess is that the problem is on the dirty points of the cd PSU I chose to power the TDA1543 - the output pin of a 7805 as + and chassis as ground...

Miguel

Hi,

After trying several PSUs on the TDA1543 I still have the same hiss there. The chip has a I2S connection with two pins directly soldered to jumpers on the board and the third I2S pin with a shielded short wire. I am using 1k resistors at the output.
I guess that the hiss (very audible) is not coming from the psu but somewhere else. Any ideas?

Miguel

Re: Re: just a thought on non-os filtering...

Kuei Yang Wang said:
A sample rate doubler is a Digital Filter.

Not necessarily, unless you regard the degenerate case of coefficients [... 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 ...] as a filter.

It is true, however, that in most applications a useful sample rate doubler will contain a digital filter.

realise a primitive 3-Tap oversampling filter either in a PIC device or even in "hardware".

Using even none-too-complex FPGAs like Spartans and lower Virtices and the right tools one could implement I2S -in, I2S-out digital filters with around 20 taps in days if one is prepared to live with simple/simplified coefficients.

A 3-tap filter is next to useless as it will have very little suppression above the original fs/2.

Re: Re: Re: just a thought on non-os filtering...

Konnichiwa,

Werner said:

A 3-tap filter is next to useless as it will have very little suppression above the original fs/2.

That's not the point I'm trying to make. The suppresion of images is not the main issue (as various totally filterless non oversampling DAC's show). My main issue is the frequency domain behaviour and minimal smoothing of the waveform above 6.7KHz. A very short digital filter combined with modest analogue filter without peaking should be able to offer a nearly flat frequency domain behaviour with minimal pre- & post ringing.

Sayonara

Elso Kwak wrote in post 58 of this thread:

"I had the opportunity to compare my DAC with the most expensive JK-Acoustics DAC in 't Harde.
http://www.jkacoustics.nl/DACReference.htm
Johan Ketelaar was quite perplexed that I had such a good sound from a homebrew affair. Last Friday I had on audition in my home a Arcam FMJ CD33 and a Marantz SA-17S1. The Arcam was beter on CD's than the Marantz The Arcam is Euro 2000, the Marantz Euro 2500.
My DAC had more bass but less highs than the Arcam. The Marantz had a anomaly in the bass, just did not have it under control. I decided not to buy either of them, as I preferred the sound of my own DAC/Philips CD-650. To my ears it sounds more musical more like the real thing. A week ago I attended harpsichord and clavichord concerts here in town. I don't hear the exaggerated highs at the live concert I hear from upsamplers and Hifi-ish sets. Also the volume is not that high as most Hifienthusiasts like to play, in fact volume is quite low. I concur with Kuei. Y.W. that it is all a matter of taste but I like to gauge my ears every now and then, before I loose track on the real sound."

Elso,

What DAC are you referring to?
Can you please post details of your DAC?

I listened recently to the ARCAM CD 23 (dcs Ringdac) of 2000 Euro and the ARCAM CD 82 (Wolfson dacs) of 1000 Euro.
Maybe I liked the CD 82 a bit more. It has slightly less detail, but it has a much firmer soundstage and bass-drive. All in all a very listenable dac.
However, I would prefer to build my own, so therefore I would be very interested in your solution...

Regards,

Lucas.

KWAK-DAC

Hi Lucas,
The DAC I demonstrated in 't Harde was:
AD8561->CS8412 with Wildmonkeysects loopfilter-> ASR->TDA1543 (NON-OS)-> discrete-opamp IV->discrete outputbuffer.
I posted the powersupply (triple darlington with LM329) for the TDA1543 on this forum. The digital supply is with LT1086 and LT1033. The analog supply is with Jung like regulators (opamp driving a series pass transistor). All analog supply is referenced to one LT1021-5.
I also posted the general idea of the IV and ouput buffer including third order low-pass filter.
I am sorry, well I am not ;) , further schematics are NOT available.:)

Hi all

I know I'm a few months late on this one but hope that someone can still help me.

I have a Philips CD624 which uses a SAA7323 bitstream dac. The onboard opamps, which for part of the low pass filter, can be bypasssed. I think it is a voltage output at this stage.

Does anyone have a design for an alternative filter arrangment to use here?

Regards

Fin

I have thought about the upsampler approach but gave up when I realised the upsamplers like CS8420 and AD1890 - 1893 have a digital filter "on board".

I used many asynchronous sample rate converters as digital filters but only AD1896 (SRC4193) was suitable for Hi -End audio. This IC in synchronous mode provide very clean and detail sound (likely NPC SM5842 digital filter) despite the fact that it has passband ripple 0.015 dB against 0.00002 dB of the SM5842. The CS8420 is absolutely useless for audio because it has very hardly sound and tendency to signal dropouts.

Marantz CD And more.... Frankendiscer?

Mr. Daniel and others,

I design tube amps and simple transistor audio stuff, so I defer to those who really know their CD players. I have a Cambridge Audio D-500SE, which I seem to recall uses a Philips CDM, but mostly Sony chips after it. The output board (PS Regs, DAC, several R-C audio filters, Audio OP Amps, Digital output) was in some way defective, beautiful sound from one channel; disastrous distortion from the other. I replaced the audio IC's, it was no better. I replaced the coupling caps and other 'lytics, the problem remained the same. All this soldering despite using a temp-controlled soldering iron, and careful technique, eventually destroyed the board, as I suspect its made with 1/2 oz. copper and too thin traces, most of the redone thin copper traces lifted. I have the schematics for this Cambridge Audio unit, but for none of the other units I will mention.

I'd like to replace this board DAC/OP Amp Output board with something else, preferably something of high quality, simple or using existing "junker" boards I that I already have...

1) I have the main board and PS of an early Proton CD Player which used an early Philips CDM; two TDA-1540 DAC chips (Circa 1987?) and older OP Amps.

2) I have the main board and PS from a Marantz CD-48 which uses a TDA-1549 and JRC-4560D, plus another JRC-4560D for the headphone amp; the Cambridge Audio 500SE lacked a headphone amp and jack; the CD-48 also has a digital out, like the Cambridge Audio did.

3) Two made in China, Circa 1992 KLH Digital HA-2000 home theater units with 6 channels of TA-2020 plus a universal type DVD/CD decoder DAC board, both lasers in the players are quite dead, one might have a working optical out.

4) Two stand alone DVD/CD players KLH digital model KD-1220's which work and also have a similar universal decoding board to above unit #3.

5) Several broken Spectrasonic 7" LCD screen DVD/CD portable players, having some universal decoding DAC; and discrete audio output stages (and really small speakers).

6) One or two working UJDA720 DVD/CD-Writer drives from notebook computers.

I'm sure within the seven unit types above I can connect the signals going to the Cambridge Audio DAC chip to a circuit entering another DAC chip and get proper audio out, even if I have to switch out OP amps and / or caps to make it better.

Exactly which one to best attempt to use, that I am unsure...

Unit #5 would appear to be the most recent in manufacture only a few years old, so maybe it has the best chips inside, also the discrete audio stages may be better than OP Amps. The boards in #5 and #6 would appear to be smaller and would likely make the process easier than some of the others where the boards are about 2 to 5 times the size of the original Cambridge board. Luckily 'bout 1/3 of the Cambridge Audio unit is empty inside, so room to "grow" for a bigger board... The #3, #4, #5, #6 don't have PS Regulators on their DAC/Audio boards, I seem to recall that the Cambridge Audio board contained diodes, caps, and two or three regulators along with the DAC and audio stages.

If more info on the chips present in various devices is needed, I can rip 'em open and jot down numbers and makers.

I also have some PDF-1703/1704 chips, a DAC or two from Crystal from a few years back, LT1083, LT1084, and LT1085 pairs in various versions, as well as some LT1115, NE5532, NE5534AN, and OP-xxx OP amps somewhere.

I'd appreciate comments from all who feel qualified!

-Steven

Peter Daniel said:
I just modified my Marantz CD-94 and as a stand alone unit it is better than used as a transport feeding my recent CS8420/PDF1704/parallel PDF1704 DAC. I'm still using original PS inside the player, while my DAC had 8 transformers and at least 13 local PS based on LT 1035/1085 (or whatever numbers) chips.

The only thing I did to Marantz was bypassing digital filter, simplifying output stage to a single OPA627 per channel, removing DC reducing resistors network right at DACs output, changing all electrolytics to HFQ and Cerafines, adding local bypassing (Goudreu triplets). Well, the results are impressive and that player is producing the best bass I've heard so far. Sometimes simple ways are better indeed.

tda1549

TDA1549 internal opamp bypassed:

just to make it more clear

thanks for the info

I have same dac and was looking at lukasz fikus lampizator site and he could not get this too work

did you pull the power to the internal op amp?

were you not getting dc from dac?

I would love to lose those ops and dc blocking electrolytes

did you test this with scope?

thanks
Glen

Miguel2,

With a trick you can even bypass the TDA1549's internal opamps.

Replace the external filter capacitors (Cext1 and Cext2, see datasheet) with shortcuts.
Now you have a current output and can use your favourite I/V opamp or discrete circuit by feeding the TDA1549 outputs again into the -input and connecting the Vref to the +input of your new I/V stage (I always liked LM6172 at that location).

Compared to the TDA1545A and feeding it with the same 4*fs signal from the SAA737X servo/decoder, it sounds less digital IMHO.

For starters I would get the maximum performance from your Marantz CD48 player first; feed the DAC from three individual supplies, use direct voltage output from DAC or bypass internal opamp and add "better" output stage, and, assuming this player has 8.X MHz clock like the Philips CD75X series, replace it with a Tent clock or Kwak clock, but also connect it directly to the BCK input of the TDA1549 as well.

KYW,
Does the Philips 72X series have 1*fs I2S signals ? How's the space inside these players, like the newer 75X series ?

Regards,

I know this thread has silent for a while I just wanted to know If this works

any other gain stage after this?

thanks
Glen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.