Simple, good quality DAC - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2003, 05:35 PM   #21
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Koinichiwa,

Quote:
Originally posted by miguel2

I understand that if the I2S signal is already oversampled, a simple TDA1543 design is out of the question.
No, but you already have in place the TDA1545, which IMNSHO is a notably better chip than the TDA1543. If you like you can passive I/V conversion on the TDA1545 as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by miguel2

I have to ask you if using a 192KHz chip would increase sound quality significantly.
As a cynic (and based on what I have heard so far) I'd have to say that I rather doubt that, unless you go for a fullblown implementation of PCM1704 or PCM1738 or a suitable Cirrus Logic "High End" Chip, with all the relevant effort applied to Powersupplies, Analogue Stages etc....

As for the TDA1545, just to put some cats among the pidgeons, I came across an interesting circuit from a French On-Line Mag, originated in the "dustcircle" of Pierre "Mr. MDI" Johannet for modding the Philips and Marantz Players using TDA1545 output Stages (Philips CD71X/72X and Marantz CD3X/4X) which I have attached.

You could use three "D-Cell" NIMH Batteries in this circuit, taking care to have a suitable "standby/float plus fast" charger which is simply disconnected when the Player is unmuted. Given the very low current Draw of this circuit you would likely get 2 - 3 Month battery life out of three non-rechargable high performance batteries, so completely omiting the charger and all may also be an option.

This would likely make for a VERY cost effective modification for the Philips and Marantz Players of this type, elimiating any active output Stage. Not shown in the Schematic are the Output Coupling Capacitors.

Oh, before I completely forgte, for adventerous souls, you could use a simple Silicon Diode (1N400X for example) string where each battery is replaced with three diodes as supply. Simply feed this diode string with a few 100mA current (from an LM317 connected as current source and a seperate mains supply) and things should work quite well to, you could even seek out adjustable references that can handle a few dozend mA and can supply 1.5 to 1.8V. In all cases I'd probably place one each BG NX-HiQ or Sanyo Os-Con on the Reference and Supply pin of the TDA1545 to ground.

Anyway, many options.

Sayonara
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tda1545.jpg (14.2 KB, 4528 views)
Old 28th May 2003, 07:28 PM   #22
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Question Battery supply for TDA1543

Hi Kuei,
I think the resistors should be connected to ground as is the minus end of the string of batteries. And 33k should read 3k3.
A problem is the supply is 3x 1.5 = 4.5 V with alkaline or Zinc carbon batteries. Fedde would use four batteries giving 6V.
Old 28th May 2003, 08:13 PM   #23
Banned

Smile Battery supply for the TDA1543

Hi, Nice thing is it works and not worse than this supply:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...882#post181882
Helas, sounded not better either.......
Edit: oops my result is only for TDA1543. Forget my remark about the connections. TDA1545 is different in this respect. Kuei your picture is correct for TDA1545. I was concentrated on the TDA1543 as I don't like the 1545.
Old 28th May 2003, 08:20 PM   #24
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I was concentrated on the TDA1543 as I don't like the 1545.
You must be the only person that thinks so on this planet !
Old 28th May 2003, 08:23 PM   #25
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jean-paul

You must be the only person that thinks so on this planet !
Jean-Paul, Weird feeling I can tell you........

Old 29th May 2003, 01:31 AM   #26
PMiczek is offline PMiczek  United States
diyAudio Member

Default ? Goudreu triplets et al...

Quote:
The only thing I did to Marantz was bypassing digital filter, simplifying output stage to a single OPA627 per channel, removing DC reducing resistors network right at DACs output, changing all electrolytics to HFQ and Cerafines, adding local bypassing (Goudreu triplets).
I searched back to find the post by Pete, I hope I am not quoting the wrong one (way too many people called Peter here<!>), but I am not sure what is being bypassed. I am guessing the analog supply pin of the DAC?

Peter Goudreu:
Quote:
A Panasonic HFQ 'lytic, 120uF/25V paralleled with an AVX 0612 270nF/25V Z5U chip cap paralleled with an AVX 0612 10nF/50V X7R chip cap. Note that these chip caps are 0612s, not 1206s. This yields a nearly perfectly resitive driving point Z out to about 90MHz or so. The residual inductance is on the order of 180pH which is swamped by the internal parasitics of the bypassed device's leadframe and bond wires. The 10nF should be mounted to the board first with the 270nF on top so that inductance at high frequencies is minimized.
And btw, was the filter bypassed as in disabled, just on principle (real audiophiles don't need no stinkin' filters...), or was there something wrong with this part of the CD-94 design??

PM
Old 29th May 2003, 02:16 AM   #27
Wombat is offline Wombat  Germany
diyAudio Member

Another idea is to buy a used DAC and simply improve some parts.
I have a Sony SDP90 and for~100Euro (as you are from europe)
you can get one. Change some parts (20Euro) and you have a
digital preamp that plays in upper leagues.
I think this is easy for beginners as me and you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sdpdiy.jpg (76.3 KB, 3214 views)
Old 29th May 2003, 03:00 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: ? Goudreu triplets et al...

Quote:
Originally posted by PMiczek

I searched back to find the post by Pete, I hope I am not quoting the wrong one (way too many people called Peter here&lt;!&gt, but I am not sure what is being bypassed. I am guessing the analog supply pin of the DAC?

And btw, was the filter bypassed as in disabled, just on principle (real audiophiles don't need no stinkin' filters...), or was there something wrong with this part of the CD-94 design??

PM
I bypassed all 3 supply on TDA1541 in that way.

That part was fine (filter), but I wanted to try non-oversampling. I didn't remove the filter completely as I want digitalt output as well.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 29th May 2003, 04:28 AM   #29
PMiczek is offline PMiczek  United States
diyAudio Member

Wombat,

SDP90 I am not familiar with, and do not know what is inside.

I _have_ heard the sdp-E800, quite impressive for movies and surround sound, but pretty much ruined 2-channel audio for my taste, just like the HT setup I own, unless I turn off all the features and use it in stereo mode. Did not think you could do much with the E-800, but never looked closely or asked anyone. Checking today, E800s sell for about $100 on ebay.

Peter,

Q: why bypass all supply pins in such an elaborate manner? Was this really necessary, or one of those "preventive" measures?

Btw, Am relieved to hear you did not jettison your filters completely, I am rather fond of mine.

PM
(I think we have departed from the "simple" part of the original thread now...)
Old 29th May 2003, 05:42 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by PMiczek

Q: why bypass all supply pins in such an elaborate manner? Was this really necessary, or one of those &quot;preventive&quot; measures?

I didn't compare ea. supply before and after bypass and preffered do them all at once. So we could call it preventive measures
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!