opinions on best caps to use for decoupling ADC chips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi there,
just using an akm5383 (modding an existing circuit). have replaced the electro caps with muse kz caps. wondering about replacing the ceramic caps - worth the effort? if so, with what. the values are 0.1uf in parallel with the 10uf electro caps, and then one pin has a 0.22uf ceramic to ground.
just wondering if the ceramic caps' inherent resonance has any effect at the higher frequencies worth mentioning/making them worth replacing.
thinking either mono caps, film or silver mica.
thanks for any thoughts.
cheers.
AT

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the electos are 5mm pitch on the leads I like to add a 0.1 surface mount directly between the legs on the PCB.
Wouldn't worry over resonance too much... the only to know for sure is inject directly onto the rails a frequency sweep (not recommended tbh) and measure. There's just to many unknowns to say if a resonance exists or not, and you would be darned unlucky for that to coincide with a ripple on the PSU.

thanks mooley,
that actually makes things easier. now i'll just solder my nichicon kz caps on top of the existing 0.1uf ceramics - there's nice big pads on the pcb fortunately.

did a bit of research on people's choices for bypass caps with ADC chips... most mfg's recommend ceramic for the smaller value and tantalum or electro for the larger values. DIY users sometimes suggest mono in place of the ceramic, but there seems to be questionable value in that because their response to the highest frequencies isn't as favourable as regular ceramic and those are also important frequencies to address with ADC's (especially the reference voltage pin).... well, so says the articles i found - not that i actually know these things. very interesting though.
there was one who highly recommended oscon caps and suggested that with these the smaller ceramic cap might even not be necessary.
anyway... just thought i'd post that for others benefit if they want the info.

cheers,
ps thanks again mooley for the help with smd chip soldering and opamp choices a while back... i've done a bunch of successful chip swaps since then (and a couple not so successful too, of course).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.