A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dont believe you have it in every home, maybe every building; at least that didnt seem to be the conclusion that was come to during a recent conversation on this topic, I believe you have 240vac in much the same way that we have 480vac, you have 120 from one phase to ground, or 240 across live to live. same way we have 480 live to live as well as full blown 3 phase in the home in rural areas.

That is exactly what we have, 120V from live and neutral and 240 from live to live. We don't have 480.

But I wouldn't be installing 240 jacks since it wouldn't be practical at all.

Ciao!
Do

Side heatsink

should be tapped for 2 x D1 minimum and maybe a couple of alternative sets to match the spacing on the Tea-bag salas PCBs.

Do we really expect anyone to be crazy enough to go for MORE than 2 NTD1s in a single system? :crazy: :D

I know what you meant though, 2 x D1 plus some other shunt supplies all mounted to the same sink (a ripper idea) but you could read the part I quoted two ways.

I know we're not getting bogged down with details now but I think we should keep machining to a minimum on stuff like the rear panel where everyone will vary, it's an additional cost that won't ever be able to suit everyone. I think we should do an IEC socket though since with panels used to separate portions of the enclosure there isn't many layout variations on where people would like the AC to enter the enclosure.

Last edited:
Do we really expect anyone to be crazy enough to go for MORE than 2 NTD1s in a single system? :crazy: :D

I know what you meant though, 2 x D1 plus some other shunt supplies all mounted to the same sink (a ripper idea) but you could read the part I quoted two ways.

I would most probably mount the Salas shunt reg to the floor or other case walls if there's not enough room on the sink and since there are way too many PSUs variations (Salas, o11, Hynes, etc...), I wouldn't bother creating pilot holes for them, just the two D1 on the sink...

I actually could have been clearer again. what I actually mean is, 2 x D1 OR 1 x D1 plus use optional positions under one of those D1 profiles for salas regs for those not doing dual dacs; so there is a nice setup for both dual and single users catered for. The heatsink is almost exactly double the size of the conrad one I use for one dac, but maybe a tiny bit shorter fin length, given mine is facing down and not external/ventilated, I predict we'll be able to get slightly more out of this one vs its length. I certainly would not attempt to power anything crucial AS WELL AS 2 x D1 without doing it without the salas regs on there first to check dissipation.

this is how I described it first when I first mentioned the case, just shortened it for the above post and it seems hochopeper is easily confused ;)

I think it would be cleaner to use the floor nearby also and thats what I planned or using additional sinks to allow playing with the layout a bit initially, if you are doing dual, actually I think this layout is going to rock! because the dacs/ clocks etc will sit out and overhang the regs, so the connection should be dead short and neat.

and what i'm certainly NOT suggesting is actually powering the 2 x D1 IVs with salas regs on the same sink. it may just work to power one if you are that keen, but most people that have tried have gone back to using onboard afaik there are other areas to gain with more IMO

Last edited:
Owen: I do hope you can enlarge the mounting holes at the corners of the D1 so that M4 can be used, to allow a firmer clamping force to cater for being vertical and having weight pulling it out and down. we also do not know the grade of alloy used for the sink, though I will ask

Qusp, have you tried the o11 with the D1? I know you have o11 so I was wondering if you had tried it.

On my side, I have replaced all my Trident with Hynes regs, including AVCC and it was much needed... Is the D1 regs actually pre-regs or they're meant to replace the onboard completely?

You would need 2 x o22 to power the D1 IV only, the o11 is a single polarity, single regulator with several outputs from the same voltage source, I have several o22 as well, but no I didnt bother as its not built for +/-45vdc. I intended to modify some, but didnt get around to it.

confused by your question a little, how could a single 3 term reg replace 7+ regulators of different voltages? yes prereg. I dont actually use it but thats what its for. rem,ember i'm not using the buff in any permenant capacity with tyhe D1, I use ackodac akd12p and this has always had dedicated regs for all voltages as standard.

I use a mix of various regulators and LiFePO4 for the dac itself, but for the IV I just use the standard NTD1 psu, but snapped off and mounted to the floor in a more convenient placement for my layout. I tried salas regs, but for me the PITA and extra heat was not worth the trouble, there are bigger fish to fry, so I went back to stock to allow more tweaking room for the dac, clocks, USB-i2s etc and I still ran out of room; so here I am

Last edited:
I'm pretty certain that the TPA AC2 has been a 'planned' project for quite some time now, I wouldn't be hanging your DAC project on that being released in time for you.

That said if you use an arduino and the hifiduino code for ESS dacs with the screen that qusp linked you should be rocking and able to work to your own timeline. Here is a blog post of it being used with the hifiduino and BII (I think its a BII in the pics right?)

IMO the VFD is a great choice for anyone who wants a local display on the front panel. The only reason for not including it would be if there were people not wanting any display on the front panel. I wonder if we can have an option from siliconray on the enclosures where some are with standard front panel and some are with machined front panel? Just a thought since chosing to not run it through standard machining vs GB machining with whatever customisation is agreed as suiting the majority shouldn't be a significant inconvenience. Just a thought and perhaps something that we could ask about.

Hopefully not pushing my luck but added a second one if available.

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
28. analog_sa x2 + fets x 2 (shipping to US)
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets
31. trickymicky X 1 + fets
32. Regland x 2

Thanks

You would need 2 x o22 to power the D1 IV only, the o11 is a single polarity, single regulator with several outputs from the same voltage source, I have several o22 as well, but no I didnt bother as its not built for +/-45vdc. I intended to modify some, but didnt get around to it.

confused by your question a little, how could a single 3 term reg replace 7+ regulators of different voltages? yes prereg. I dont actually use it but thats what its for. rem,ember i'm not using the buff in any permenant capacity with tyhe D1, I use ackodac akd12p and this has always had dedicated regs for all voltages as standard.

I use a mix of various regulators and LiFePO4 for the dac itself, but for the IV I just use the standard NTD1 psu, but snapped off and mounted to the floor in a more convenient placement for my layout. I tried salas regs, but for me the PITA and extra heat was not worth the trouble, there are bigger fish to fry, so I went back to stock to allow more tweaking room for the dac, clocks, USB-i2s etc and I still ran out of room; so here I am

Sorry, not a single supply, Hynes actually makes Trident replacements and also AVCC so I have 5 of them since avcc is two modules. They mount like the Tridents and are about the same size.

I've posted query on TPA's thread and Brain confirmed that thing are happening with AC2.
I agree with you that things under the control of our own hand is much better than waiting for others. With my limited knowledge on software programming, it is another big project for me to implement the arduino control. That's fun of DIY.

As qusp said, the VFD must be an item in the GB in order to reduce the price.

yeah AC2 hey? nice theory.... AC1 was vaporware that has been talked about since 2006 or before and only glt, the TP guys and maybe some other unnamed secret servicemen got them, AC2 looks to share a similar fate as was first mentioned in 2009 I think. 'things have 'been happening' for 6 years, there was talk of the PCBs being ready back then. this is one of those occasions I think its better to not mention on your blog or forum that something is ready until it IS ready. there will be quite a few people around the world who made chassis decisions and purchases based on the availability that never came to be. I get that its a hobby business, but people do very real things with the products /rant

Last edited:
Sorry, not a single supply, Hynes actually makes Trident replacements and also AVCC so I have 5 of them since avcc is two modules. They mount like the Tridents and are about the same size.

I realise that, but you mentioned the reg as prereg, or powering the dac directly and since the b3 does not have any onboard regs at all anymore, I couldnt work out what you meant. so you meant prepre reg or merely prereg? hehe

I like your idea of setting the heatsink up for either 2 x D1 or 1 x D1 plus Salas shunt (I'd probably do the later). It's going to be awfully hard to get everyone to agree on front/rear panels, so it might be best to keep it simple and let people customize it themselves. I like the idea of a logo and hole for momentary switch on the front and maybe a blank panel for the back. I'm open to other ideas (like an LCD or volume/selector knob/cavity) if we can get people to agree on something.

D1 Enclosure GB List

Siliconray RE3220WH Enclosure GB
See post #1005 for details. We need a minimum of 20 units to make this enclosure GB possible.

qusp = 1
hochopeper = 1
opc = 1
pinnocchio = 1
woresseo = 1
vitalica = 1
horio = 1

I'm considering joining the GB. The only thing holding me back is the the overall size of the case. I find it quite a bit large for my needs. I know that Siliconray is pretty open about making adjustments to the cases that he offers, including resizing. This can be observed in the Ncore case GB. Is the size of the case open to discussion?

No, for me, definitely NOT, that and the large heatsink that dictates the sized are why i'm interested at all and why I brought it up in the first place, otherwise I would be doing a 2 box. I think you underestimate the size your dac will be if you option it up. trust me, the more room the better layout, trying to fit the NTD1 in edgeways especially with shunts, fifo, usb-i2s control systems etc, or a second dac requires a case this big or you will end up struggling to find the right layout and thus going to all that trouble and expense only to compromise one of the most important things. plus its only JUST tall enough for the board.

sorry, dont mean to be blunt, but thats one if, if not THE most appealing feature. big tall case, big heastsink, but doesnt look like a poweramp

Last edited:
No, for me, definitely NOT, that and the large heatsink that dictates the sized are why i'm interested at all and why I brought it up in the first place, otherwise I would be doing a 2 box. I think you underestimate the size your dac will be if you option it up. trust me, the more room the better layout, trying to fit the NTD1 in edgeways especially with shunts, fifo, usb-i2s control systems etc, or a second dac requires a case this big or you will end up struggling to find the right layout and thus going to all that trouble and expense only to compromise one of the most important things. plus its only JUST tall enough for the board.

sorry, dont mean to be blunt, but thats one if, if not THE most appealing feature. big tall case, big heastsink, but doesnt look like a poweramp

I second that!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.