A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 96 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2012, 02:29 PM   #951
diyAudio Member

Can you guide me to the link were the upper chassis is available for 50 dollars.
Old 16th May 2012, 02:42 PM   #952
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avbuilder View Post
Can you guide me to the link were the upper chassis is available for 50 dollars.
The link below will show you hundreds of China made chasis. Although all information are in Chinese, you can see the photo and price in RMB. If you need help on translation or even order it, drop me a PM and I will try my best to help.

The chasis is very heavy 6-15kg, the shipping will be more expensive.

ȫ _Ա
Old 16th May 2012, 03:31 PM   #953
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
qusp:

It's funny how time heals all wounds... I swore I'd never ship another PCB, and yet here we are with another run of 50 NTD1s.

I'm secretly hoping a few people in this group want to do a nice chassis for this, as mine is still a mess of wires sitting in the back of my stereo rack. I have a design, I just don't want to spend the money on a one-off chassis like that.

Cheers,
Owen
indeed mate, I cant believe i'm even considering getting that matching rig out, its like i'm watching myself in a car crash from outside. I even told hochopeper to slap me if he saw me considering it.

i'd be interested in the chassis perhaps, but probably my build requirements wont mesh with yours, I have 2 dacs in a dual stereo balanced setup, plus Ian's fifo, plus titan, 4 channel output, plus combined 2 channel headphone source output, MCU plus 1 or 2 xbee's and ideally a retro-ish LCD with wifi/ipad remote.

mostly external prereg and transformers with the only AC entering the case going to the NTD1 regs unless I bypass their bridges, which I might actually do just to keep it 'simple' the case would have to be a monster to fit it all in one so it would be a 2 box with DC umbilical with cannons

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Hi Owen

Will this China made chasis meet your requirement, only cost $50. All alumimum including heat sink at both side.
not a chance for me
Old 16th May 2012, 03:39 PM   #954
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post

not a chance for me
They have huge size chassis which can accommodate all your parts. Some even has the PASS logo on the front panel
Old 16th May 2012, 04:11 PM   #955
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
They have huge size chassis which can accommodate all your parts. Some even has the PASS logo on the front panel
in that case they arent getting a cent of my money! besides I dont want a huge poweramp case, I still want it to look like a dac and most of the heatsinks on these cases are not terribly useful, there needs to be a way to couple the floor very well thermally to the floor. no I think the case needs to be purpose built and I really dont approve of theft of intellectual property; so dont care how cheap they are and using a company that fakes Papas logo for cases to accommodate a dac IV design originally freely given by papa would be in very bad taste.

sorry but this sort of thing does not sit well with me at all

Last edited by qusp; 16th May 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 16th May 2012, 04:17 PM   #956
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I really dont approve of theft of intellectual property; so dont care how cheap they are
Totally agree, I would buy any chassis with logo. Looking forward to see your finish chassis.
Old 16th May 2012, 04:31 PM   #957
diyAudio Member

cool, glad you are on the same page

you may be waiting a while, as I had just about totally decided against using the D1 for my other channels, not because I dont like it, but because its such a space hog and really requires a custom heatsink, or a custom chassis to do properly even with 1 of them, but ive not been able to find another design I like as much, the build except for the second D1 and the control systems is all working on the bench, but arranging everything optimally and financing the custom case will take some time. probably the PSU case will just be made from T6 alloy channel and plate and kept out of sight, but I guess its time to start modelling up the dac chassis.
Old 16th May 2012, 11:57 PM   #958
diyAudio Member

Quote:
cool, glad you are on the same page

you may be waiting a while, as I had just about totally decided against using the D1 for my other channels, not because I dont like it, but because its such a space hog and really requires a custom heatsink, or a custom chassis to do properly even with 1 of them, but ive not been able to find another design I like as much, the build except for the second D1 and the control systems is all working on the bench, but arranging everything optimally and financing the custom case will take some time. probably the PSU case will just be made from T6 alloy channel and plate and kept out of sight, but I guess its time to start modelling up the dac chassis.
Your progress is much better than me, I am still waiting for the delivery of BIII and the next GB for the NTD1 PCB. The only component ready is Ian's FIFO. Still a long way to go before thinking about the chassis.
Old 17th May 2012, 05:07 AM   #959
diyAudio Member

yeah I have 1 x AKD12P + titan + D1 in a case (with the lid off to enable my constant tweaking) and a second AKD12P on the bench with fifo and with opc's BAL-BAL 'the wire' headphone amp connected directly acting as a buffered IV stage that can drive headphones (spectacularly well I might add Owen and it doesnt make a bad IV stage either)

so putting basically double the below plus MCU, display and control systems into one case I think would make it impossible to have a clean layout. much easier (though still not easy) to do it with 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2nd dac breadboard madness_24Apr2012_0863.jpg (405.5 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by qusp; 17th May 2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 17th May 2012, 05:16 AM   #960
diyAudio Member

actually I tell a lie, for the moment I have a buffalo II in with the NTD1 while other experiments are ongoing

Hide this!Advertise here!