A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 81 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th September 2011, 04:10 PM   #801
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

those that want gm matched fets to go with this please let me know asap so i can put them aside, i have a VERY busy couple of months coming up with my business, so would prefer to get any hobby related stuff out of the way
Old 26th September 2011, 04:14 PM   #802
diyAudio Member

qusp remember me how much cost the matched fets shipping to Spain - Europe, will be good to have a spare just in case.
Old 26th September 2011, 04:35 PM   #803
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

the sets i have left are 50 and 60, no perfect quads left as they all went in the first gb, but they are pretty close to perfect still, go back a decimal and they are. plenty of perfect pairs that are close to each other, which is what i would recommend you go with at this stage, as having highly matched pairs is more important than quads. shipping is either 5aud for regular airmail, or ~20 for registered mail, shoot me an email
Old 26th September 2011, 05:53 PM   #804
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi qusp,

I'll have a set ( two pairs) of your best matches.

By the way have you and Owen had a look at my proposal to stretch the PCB a little for this run so that BIII fits ?

Last edited by CeeVee; 26th September 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:16 AM   #805
diyAudio Member

Dear Owen,

Will it cause any damage to short the output of the D1 ? I am controlling the DAC with the Arduino, and I would like to power up everything, with output shorted and then open them.

Thanks,

Davide
Old 27th September 2011, 01:21 AM   #806
diyAudio Member

Dear Owen,

I will mount the coupling caps off board. I shorted the cap location, I guess I have also to remove R19 R21 etc and put them after the cap, that will be at the output connector.
What are C54 C55 etc for ?

D.
Old 27th September 2011, 04:29 AM   #807
diyAudio Member

by the way, as I have 4.7uF ciuplung cap, dies ut maje sense to increase the bleeder resistor?How much?

thanks,

d

Sent from my N-04C using Tapatalk
Old 27th September 2011, 07:11 AM   #808
diyAudio Member

Sorry, typing from this phone is impossible: let's try again

I have 4.7uF coupling caps, does it make sense to increase the bleeder resistor ? How much ?

The amp will be F5 or the Wire as balanced converter.

D.
Old 27th September 2011, 12:11 PM   #809
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Glad to see it's moving along well here! I suppose it's time for some Q&A:

CeeVee:

This should be possible to do as I'm sure there are plenty of people who are now buying the BIII. I'll look into it in the next few weeks and report back.

Right now the new GB for "The Wire" headphone and power amps is taking priority, and once everything is done there, I'll sit down and take a look at what can be done with the NTD1.

Davide:

Quote:
Will it cause any damage to short the output of the D1 ? I am controlling the DAC with the Arduino, and I would like to power up everything, with output shorted and then open them.
That won't be a problem as long as you short them after the output coupling caps.

Quote:
I will mount the coupling caps off board. I shorted the cap location, I guess I have also to remove R19 R21 etc and put them after the cap, that will be at the output connector.
That is exactly correct. Those are bleed resistors to keep DC off the output when no load is connected. You'll need to move them off the board and onto the output connector.

Quote:
What are C54 C55 etc for ?
Those are for people who want to use electrolytic coupling caps instead of the film ones. For people driving very low impedance loads, it would be impossible to get a large enough value cap on board, so I added the option for electrolytic coupling caps.

Quote:
I have 4.7uF coupling caps, does it make sense to increase the bleeder resistor ? How much ?
No... I would leave it at 100k. The dominant resistance value will likely be whatever you plug it into, and even if you're driving a 10k load, the -3dB point is down at 3.4Hz with a 4.7uF cap. If you're driving a 100k load you're looking at a -3dB point of 0.34Hz.

Regards,
Owen
Old 28th September 2011, 12:40 AM   #810
diyAudio Member

Hi qusp,

I'll like a set of your matched fets.

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!