A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2010, 02:42 PM   #691
diyAudio Member

qusp
Erno Borbely is a good value for the money, once a time I spoked with him about the people don't understand his expensives prices, my answer was: well you aren't a machined byg tayloring manufacturer sold in all world supermarkets, your product are like Valentino, Coco Chanel, Balenciaga, Versace, etc. all hand made & designed by Erno so it's necessary to appreciate his work to really enjoy his products....

I vote also for Auricap for big caps.
Old 21st November 2010, 03:05 PM   #692
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Looks like the first few kits are starting to arrive so it's time to post up a parts list so people can figure out what's what.

All the parts will arrive in a small baggie inside the envelope, and it's important to use the list to identify each part before removing any of the individual parts from the reel strips.

There are 15 small reel strips in each bag, and it's easy to identify each part based on the quantity of that part, whether it's a capacitor or resistor, and the size.

It's very easy to lose parts, so be very careful when emptying the bag. Work on a clean surface, and don't take parts out of the strips until you're ready to populate them all.

Stephen:

I don't have anything in my email that indicated you wanted fets, are you sure you asked me and not qusp? I was never offering matched fets, but I did sell a few from the rail I had. I only have enough left for myself, so it might be best to talk to qusp about matched fets if you're interested in them.

As for the tent parts, I'll post a little tutorial on how to do that later today. For now, just don't solder Z1-Z8.

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SMD Parts List.pdf (24.8 KB, 98 views)
Old 21st November 2010, 03:13 PM   #693
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin el mago View Post
qusp
Erno Borbely is a good value for the money, once a time I spoked with him about the people don't understand his expensives prices, my answer was: well you aren't a machined byg tayloring manufacturer sold in all world supermarkets, your product are like Valentino, Coco Chanel, Balenciaga, Versace, etc. all hand made & designed by Erno so it's necessary to appreciate his work to really enjoy his products....

I vote also for Auricap for big caps.
I agree or I wouldnt be contacting him to buy some, but there is no denying the prices are high and the components prices higher for what they are, he has the most expensive jfets on the planet. but the man is a legend and sure knows what hes doing. I just decided that if they werent going to contact me to take my money, that if it does happen i'll get what I feel are his best and notable products and that IMO is his shunts, plus i'm kinda stocked for IVs and his need modification for use with the buffalo due to the resistive IV and somewhat high inputZ. even the version supposed to be for sabre has high input R. I also want his 325 headamp.

they are also even higher for me, because I would chose many different parts, I would not choose nichicon FG and would use zfoil in place of caddock USF and favor different films. so i'm paying dearly for parts I wouldnt use that will sit in my ever increasing 'spare' parts bin, just like the 50 left opver unmatched fets after this haha, suppose there will still be some people that will buy unmatched

anyway enough OT in that direction, lets get on with the show chaps

Last edited by qusp; 21st November 2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 21st November 2010, 06:12 PM   #694
diyAudio Member

@qusp
Ok too much OT

@Owen
How is going my I/V?

Cheers
Felipe
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:10 PM   #695
diyAudio Member

fets are here, but will be a week or so before I start matching, still waiting on some parts for the test jig and another meter thanks to Flocchini. resistors should be off the line and on there way to me shortly
Old 24th November 2010, 05:57 PM   #696
toufu is offline toufu  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry to get in late, but can I still get a board and the parts?
Old 24th November 2010, 07:19 PM   #697
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Board arrived in Italy! Looks great!
Looking forward to instructions with respect to the bottom mounting of the heat sinking requiring components.
Thanks for the great work Owen.
Nic
Old 24th November 2010, 11:44 PM   #698
diyAudio Member

yes.. very high quality. thanks Owen.

In line with the post above, heatsinking method is an issue that needs to be worked out early on. Obviously short paths are the most ideal, but realistically speaking, would flying leads to a side-by-side sink arrangement kill the spirit of this circuit?
Old 25th November 2010, 06:32 AM   #699
diyAudio Member

yes it absolutely would unfortunately. I dont see the problem personally, everything is there the pictures a couple pages ago show how, flat sink or floor under the board, mark it through the holes that are there to screw it down through and drill, then follow the illustration underneath. I dont understand the hesitation, adding flying leads will kill a large amount of dynamic range and may even cause oscillations

but owen, you might look at posting a PDF to scale of the positions for the mounting holes, might help these guys visualize it.

Last edited by qusp; 25th November 2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 25th November 2010, 06:42 AM   #700
diyAudio Member

oh BTW I will have about 170 fets to match fromdue to an unfortunate issue we were sent 50 instead of 100, there were 2 rails in a bag marked 100 and when I got them out yesterday I thought to myself, jeeze that doesnt look like 100. sure enough was 50 and because we didnt contact them straight away they wont do anything about it, so had to buy another 100. I told them they should be able to tell by the shipping weight, its obvious their system thinks it sent 100, because thats what the label said, but surely there are other checkpoints, can they just ship what they like and if you get a big order do you have to count every single thing on the spot to make sure its right? dodgy....

so I had 20 already, so 170 total, so will probably be able to get more matched than thought but wont make any more commitments yhet, buoldig up the test circuit i the next couple of days, but wont have all DMMs and parts here for another week or so

Hide this!Advertise here!