A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
No worries... I won't ruin compatibility with either the BII or the Acko. I mostly just want to add a few point for the power tot he DAC itself. I'll probably leave the digital input area as-is since I don't think I can make it compatible with both the BII and BIII, and I'm guessing those with a BIII will probably just run the intended ribbon cable to the intended MUX.

Cheers,
Owen

Thanks for looking after us Owen! You know acko now mentions the D1 as one of the IV options in the latest update to his site.

The other thing that isn't immediately obvious but the 5V supply to the BIII needs something like nearly double the current of a BII from memory, I haven't done the sums on it but I would bet that reg would need some changes along with a larger heatsink perhaps now too?

I was planning to post a picture of my OwenD1+ackoDAC+ExaU2I but I still haven't finished the details of the final build. Since it might never be final, better post them now. And for reference I have included the btesting board for the ODAC on the left placed on the transformers.

Attachments

• David+Goliath.jpg
    David+Goliath.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 543
I do not think that the new layout should be compatible with BII, because no one will get a new BII DAC.
With the old NTD1 board you only can mount the BIII with the ribbon cable side to the power supply. For short cables maybe it would be a good idea to mount the BIII with Ribbon cabe to the other side.
Or you mount it like me. See my pictures.

With a mounted BIII DAC it is not necessary to have an SPDIF transformer or a input socket on the new board, because the BIII needs a additional comparator board (Level Converter Kit).The BIII only understands TTL Level and no Consumer SPDIF level.
The additional Comparator board has one or four SPDIF transformers.
You get two different versions (one or four inputs).
If you only need two inputs, you do not need the original input switch. You can make it like me with a little switch (on the back side).
Be sure to make the ribbon cable as short as possible. With long ribbon cables between BIII and the Level Converter you get sometimes audio dropouts.
Most if you switch a lamp or something other on or off.

The most important thing for the sound quality are the four output couplers!!
Owen, it would be fine to get more space for bigger (and better) output capacitors on the new board.
But you do not need to make it for me. I am ready with my DAC and I love it!

I use a combination of a very good KP-Capacitor 2,2 µF, a 56nF silver glimmer capacitor (New old stock from Jahre) and a Black Gate N bipolar 100µF/50V (red version).
Yes I know you will get no more Black gate N now .But I got four pcs 2 years before. The Black Gates are making the biggest sound difference (with / without).
The sound is very amazing with much micro detail and good dynamic!!

I use the DAC with 750 / 400 Ohm Source and Drain resistors unstead of 400 / 200 Ohm
The sound is still very very good and I get less heat.

It is a good idea to take the bigger (higher) SK104-63,5 STS for the LM317 /337 and not the SK104-38 STS
The SK104-38 heat sink of the 5,25V stabilizer becomes very hot. I think it is because the BIII together with the level Converter Kit need more current then a BII alone. Please take a bigger case for your DAC with bigger heat sinks on the left and the right side.

Where are all the builders who got a board with the first group buy?

The BIII combined with this FET single ended output stages is one of the best DACs in the world!!
I am very sure. The sound is very amazing with good output capacitors.

Please see my pictures (post #428 and #432)

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/178458-build-thread-new-take-classic-pass-labs-d1-ess-dac-43.html

I would like to write more here in this thread to help you, but sorry my english is not the best.

Last edited:
I do not think that the new layout should be compatible with BII, because no one will get a new BII DAC.

Salomon,

What are you talking about... Don't just think about you here... The established BII base is way bigger than the BIII, it just does not make any sense to kick every BII out, don't you think?

I do get your point that going forward you can't buy a BII but no one can justify selling a BII to buy a BIII... It does not sound any different or improve much aside the 8 channels... What would make sense is the Ackodac and even then...

See Qusp post about this. It would mean a big redesign of the board and delay things even further...

Do

ok, if there are many BII owners who are waiting for a NTD1, then Owen should make the new boards same as first circuit design with a SPDIF transfomer on the board.
I don´t know. I thought all the BII owners got there boards with the first group buy.

I do not think only of myself! I only want to help other builders to improve the performance of the new board!
I do not want do say more about this project.
It is not easy for me to right down all the informations in english. Maybe I should do other things.

Last edited:
ok, if there are many BII owners who are waiting for a NTD1, then Owen should make the new boards same as first circuit design with a SPDIF transfomer on the board.
I don´t know. I thought all the BII owners got there boards with the first group buy.

I do not think only of myself! I only want to help other builders to improve the performance of the new board!
I do not want do say more about this project.
It is not easy for me to right down all the informations in english. Maybe I should do other things.

Ok, was a little rough on you I guess... Sorry if I insulted you in any way

Many BII owners missed the first GB or were not even aware the NTD1 existed in the first place. Sure it would be nice to accommodate all of us and in the end, Owen will most probably try his best to please as many people as possible, I'm sure.

Do

oh great, way to muddy the waters salomon

Several of the first GB are back for a second board including myself. I would like proper inputs, but I did not suggest it, all this time; at the time of the first run there were only 2 of us using it, so it was not a realistic option and actually its a little problematic unless you mount the regulators for the dac above the dac board. Now there is quite a few starting to get around; it still doesnt make it less awkward, but I havent really given it much thought.

the builders from the first gb, there were a few who posted pics..in the build thread and the original thread and it wasnt that large a group, but as mentioned many missed out as they were not aware. i'm not against catering for the new dac, but catering for the digital input is madness and why? so you can add another connection in the signal path, one pin header is already bad enough for a digital signal.

you already need to buy an spdif comparator, as I mentioned already, to have a usable spdif dac at the time of purchase, so you are sorted already, do you suggest another uC as well, maybe a buffer and comparator?

i'm just trying to avoid a flood of suggestions here, just because opc said he would make a change to allow mounting, does not make it open season. he has already said what he thinks and you contradict him? how about you lay a board out?

Last edited:
I was planning to post a picture of my OwenD1+ackoDAC+ExaU2I but I still haven't finished the details of the final build. Since it might never be final, better post them now. And for reference I have included the btesting board for the ODAC on the left placed on the transformers.

nice work Nikola!!

haha I relate to the bolded part, this phase of my build is a real attempt to draw a line under the dac and move forward, but we'll see how realistic that is

bigpandahk I think there is some confusion, this run of pcbs has only recently reached critical mass to justify running them.

All that has happened so far is expressed interest and no money has changed hands at all. The timeline for these is run on a schedule that suits opc's commitments and this time he has asked that others distribute on his behalf. I'd take that as indication he has plenty on his plate.

I appreciate that we'd all like these things to move quickly but some respect for opc's quite significant contributions here wouldn't go astray IMO.

Owen has said this will likely be the final run for a long time (possibly ever) I believe. I don't think it suits anyone to do 2 runs of pcbs just to get some out quicker, especially when the size of each batch of pcbs would be reduced.

Hochopeper, thanks for reminding me and agree with your view. I highly appreciate members like Owen, qusp, Ian, Salas, tea-bag, Lorien, yourself and many others, contribute their time and sharing experience in this forum. Otherwise I won't be able to build the BIII with Arduino so fast.

I am willing to do anything that can help the GB. If ordering the PCB is just several emails with the PCB supplier for confirmation of order and payment, may be Owen can PM me the contact, so that I can place the order with reference to previous GB, make payment to the supplier, confirm order and receive payment from members via paypal and post the PCB to them. May be includes the FET if qusp willing to offer them.

thanks for the offer of help, but Owen is the best person to handle the contact with his supplier, it would only take longer to have another person in the chain, he is not just reordering, but making changes and he would certainly not be wanting to send you the gerbers to make the order

yeah well I wanted to get an idea of when this one was going to take off before running that and i've still got a box full of LPUHP that have to go out, theyve been waiting for heatsinks too long and I tyhink will finally give up. after that i'd like a week or 2 where I dont have any responsibilities to anyone elses DIY, just my own

nah not the copper ones, this was supposed to be a barter for a fully CNC custom aircraft grade (T6-6061 billet) enclosure based on our cad model in exchange for all of the parts for a fully upgraded LPUHP kit. for normal heatsinks I can just get from conrad or just use some copper bar stock to interface to the floor, getting heatsinks from OS is not viable due to shipping cost, but thanks for the offer.

i'll probably just run without sinks over winter and reassess it later after i've done some more playing with the combinations of multiamped setups i'm working on and tuned the speakers and digital crossover.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Two for me

]1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
28. analog_sa x2 + fets x 2 (shipping to US)
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets
31. trickymicky X 1 + fets
32. Regland x 1
33. flocchini x1
34. hirez69 x2 + fets x 2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.