A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
indeed its pretty much perfect for this project as is. still looks like a dac chassis, slick looking and enough heatsink for 2 x ntd1, or 1 x ntd1 with shunt regs for the dac and an i2s/clock and dual dac people theres still easy enough alloy and space around to sink to if you need more. in fact I wouldnt really need an external PSU case with this fella provided we get some internal panels for a second floor. though I may still use an external box for AC just so I can use my cannons somewhere hehe.

the LCD type I had in mind was the one that AR2 used, which is actually a Noritake U
type VFD (Vacuum Florescent Display) , a drop in LCD replacement

dac-in-lab1.jpg

like I said, if we can get enough of us, they will customize mounting arrangements, holes etc.

I'm interested. It will all come down to final price with shipping

The display looks sharp! Is it HD44780 compatible

Do

well being able to use my volume knob will actually mean the difference of me being involved or not, unless I can get him to do a custom size milled and recessed hole for me if it doesnt suit you guys. I got custom made solid titanium volume knobs made for this and my portable (seen below),I designed and modeled them and got them made; not using it is not an option. I must have volume to use the ESS volume control too, I wouldnt have it any other way, even though I will probably use my ipad to set it most of the time. I dont have any volume controls anywhere else in the system other than on my mac. ideally some sort of input selector control would be nice to have too, though again these can be set remotely, its best to have the option of doing it on the front panel.

we could just decide on common ground and leave the rest blank, as for instance getting a hole milled for a recessed volume knob is much cheaper than an LCD hole, so the volume hole could be left to the user to arrange if we cant make it work for all of us. I would like a hole for a momentary too, but that should be fairly easy for us to agree on. I can do up a nice logo for us to get milled into it if desired as well, very simple and not garish, symbolic only

Attachments

• knobs_ti.jpg
    knobs_ti.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 762
Last edited:
I'm interested. It will all come down to final price with shipping

The display looks sharp! Is it HD44780 compatible

Do

not familiar with that model not having done a lot of research into displays, but its available in numerous sizes

look at the link I used for god sake!! ha

different sizes

they have much better visibility than LCD, better viewing angle etc its a nobrainer IMO

not familiar with that model not having done a lot of research into displays, but its available in numerous sizes

look at the link I used for god sake!! ha

different sizes

they have much better visibility than LCD, better viewing angle etc its a nobrainer IMO
Yeah! I saw your link but couldn't find the info in there. I was thinking you might have known but I guess you're not that good! Just Kidding :D

I found some info on Google and youtube and they seem compatible with the CU-U version 20x4.

Cool!

ok i've spoken to siliconray, we can get all the customization we want if we can get 20 pieces together, he has not given a price, but says that we will like it. i'm inclined to believe him considering how much cheaper the NCORE guys cases turned out, even with all the customization. this will ideally include:

Front

hole for display
maybe just guide hole made for volume knob
several LED holes, not many needed given the use of a display
hole for momentary switch

possible additions for front panel

• input selector rotary
does the new digital input bopard from TP have a rotary for source selection?• hole for remote reception
• ESS logo, possible nickname 'Hot-Source' ;) ha

REAR

I think this is where people will vary a lot in their options, so really I think we keep the cutouts to a minimum and people can finish themselves. but theres a few things we should be able to agree on.

IEC
USB
BNC?
i'll be using 2 x 4 pin lemo or 1 x cannon for 4 channel output, but will probably get 4 x XLR for legacy
perhaps toslink

I need a second USB, but will be one of those pass throughs, this is for connection to the MCU and carries RS232, so could be DSUB9 or even a mini XLR I guess, as long as it has at least 3 pins

ermm ?? perhaps best to keep this to an absolute minimum so people can do what they wish, but the common and more difficult shapes like USB and IEC

Side heatsink

should be tapped for 2 x D1 minimum and maybe a couple of alternative sets to match the spacing on the Tea-bag salas PCBs. opc can we make it easier for people to snap off the psu this time? just thinking it may or may not be more suitable to mount them to the floor with the IV section on the sink, not imperative, I checked and the D1 as is will fit standing tall, so 2 will fit rather nicely actually. might I suggest that the mounting holes in the corners be increased to M4?

2 x internal panels, 1 vertical wall and one horizontal floor, the floor should probably only extend half way across. the vertical could be used to section off AC

Floor
should be drilled for 4 feet and a transformer or 2, we'll need to chat about this. or just leave it mainly for the individual.

potential GBs

• VFD display from Noritake
• Zfoil power resistors again
• nice quality single deck pot or perhaps stepper like elma
• transformers, actually i'de like to get some of these new cute little pretty reasonably priced 8VA R-Cores from Selectronic for clock, usb and lower power analogue stages, maybe even the IV if they do custom, standard lowish VA units only go up to 2 x 24v secondaries, but the tiny ones are perfect for dac analogue circuits
• LiFePO4 batteries
• momentary switches
• fasteners

i'd like to try to keep my contributions to helping getting the case and panel hardware sorted, someone else can arrange the basic passives parts GB, I get the feeling my choices wont gel with everyone and i'd rather not take it on tbh, the above are just suggestions, not me volunteering to run GBs for them all. someone in the EU to make the R-Core order would be cool, shipping shouldnt be too much as they are so dinky

I welcome input, but lets not get too bogged down in detail just yet

so another list

siliconray RE3220WH GB
link

qusp = 1
hochopeper = 1
opc = 1

the cute R-Cores mentioned above
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
just a note too, I may depending on timing bow out of a few things and do them later, lots of commitments for my limited coin at the moment, but the chance to get these chassis customized and at a discount is too good to ignore given ive been planning and budgeting to finish a 2 box build of the dac anyway. so I encourage others to please get involved if anything above is of interest to them, dont wait around for me to do it all, it wont happen. the case and the VFD are the main things I want to drive the price down on

Last edited:
just a note too, I may depending on timing bow out of a few things and do them later, lots of commitments for my limited coin at the moment, but the chance to get these chassis customized and at a discount is too good to ignore given ive been planning and budgeting to finish a 2 box build of the dac anyway. so I encourage others to please get involved if anything above is of interest to them, dont wait around for me to do it all, it wont happen. the case and the VFD are the main things I want to drive the price down on

Same here... Case and VFD and a few holes in the back for XLR, etc... I have all the equipment at home to do everything else.

Add another one for me if available.

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
28. analog_sa x2 + fets x 2 (shipping to US)
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets
31. trickymicky X 1 + fets
32. Regland x 1

Thanks

ahh yes, thats too bad for you guys then, seems very unlikely they would make them, particularly the small ones, do you speak Frenchy Do? perhaps you could shoot them an email in native tongue ask about bulk, say 100 units and if this would allow dual primaries. otherwise it'll be just for those with sensible power distribution

cool, thanks Do, I reckon we could get up to 100 units if not here solely, but for the wider forum as stuff like this is much desired/fashionable and not widely available. those reading the above post will note its missing emoticons, but people hopefully know me well enough to not think i'm in reality criticizing those who happen to have the misfortune of only having access to 120v

cool, thanks Do, I reckon we could get up to 100 units if not here solely, but for the wider forum as stuff like this is much desired/fashionable and not widely available. those reading the above post will note its missing emoticons, but people hopefully know me well enough to not think i'm in reality criticizing those who happen to have the misfortune of only having access to 120v

We do have both 120 and 240 in every home in North America but the outlets are only 120V as 240 is for larger appliances. I could however make a special outlet but then not transportable...

I'll ask for sure if they can make it happen.

Do

I dont believe you have it in every home, maybe every building; at least that didnt seem to be the conclusion that was come to during a recent conversation on this topic, I believe you have 240vac in much the same way that we have 480vac, you have 120 from one phase to ground, or 240 across live to live. same way we have 480 live to live as well as full blown 3 phase in the home in rural areas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.