A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 28 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th September 2010, 01:54 AM   #271
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

OK well there goes my interest, totally unusable for me if it turns out like that, but hey sure, yay teamwork
Old 28th September 2010, 03:34 AM   #272
diyAudio Member

still interested of course owen, but not upsidedown; and ceetee, it has absolutely NOTHING to do with looks. not for my build anyway.

Last edited by qusp; 28th September 2010 at 03:42 AM.
Old 28th September 2010, 05:53 AM   #273
lauret is offline lauret  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

If everything will be integrated in one pcb, why not bolt everything down on two large heatsinks on the sides? Then it is possible to bolt some aluminium panels onto the heatsinks to create a nice enclosure.

But then again, Owen, you already said that laying out this circuit with the resistors and mosfets on the sides will be hard, but I just wanted to make this suggestion.
Old 28th September 2010, 08:49 AM   #274
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauret View Post
If everything will be integrated in one pcb, why not bolt everything down on two large heatsinks on the sides? Then it is possible to bolt some aluminium panels onto the heatsinks to create a nice enclosure.

But then again, Owen, you already said that laying out this circuit with the resistors and mosfets on the sides will be hard, but I just wanted to make this suggestion.
most of us already have enclosures
Old 28th September 2010, 09:41 AM   #275
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Guys,

I thought we could discuss ideas here, i'm most definively in for watever is decided here, and yes ( qusp ...got your nik right?) team work means listening to others with some respect ( no wink ).

I was trying a theoretical solution to give opc the option of more availaible pcb space to work with, i was trying to help if there is doubt.

I have no problem in accepting that this option is not acceptable to you guys.

....and still availaible to help if it is deemed usefull.

I came in on this thread because i liked owen's work so much ...if there was doubt.

Last edited by CeeVee; 28th September 2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 28th September 2010, 09:43 AM   #276
Yunick is offline Yunick  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I'm in for a stereo set.

Thanks
Old 28th September 2010, 12:53 PM   #277
diyAudio Member

I suggest that the original layout was a good choice for what many of us would like to use in an enclosure. The thermal design is fairly critical here and should be improved on only by making the board wider by enough to add space between heatsinks for cool air inflow. Adding holes in the board beneath the end of the heatsinks would also be a very good idea. Alternatively, the existing layout with an area routed beneath the ends of the heatsinks - opening the area beneath the fins completely - would work well. This desigh will require a vented enclosure if the final layout does not attach the devices to an external heatsink because of the Pdis.

Thanks for the hard work and best regards,
Dave
Old 28th September 2010, 01:48 PM   #278
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzfish View Post
I suggest that the original layout was a good choice for what many of us would like to use in an enclosure. The thermal design is fairly critical here and should be improved on only by making the board wider by enough to add space between heatsinks for cool air inflow. Adding holes in the board beneath the end of the heatsinks would also be a very good idea. Alternatively, the existing layout with an area routed beneath the ends of the heatsinks - opening the area beneath the fins completely - would work well. This desigh will require a vented enclosure if the final layout does not attach the devices to an external heatsink because of the Pdis.

Thanks for the hard work and best regards,
Dave
would something like this work fitzfish:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg board vents_small.jpg (67.0 KB, 512 views)
Old 28th September 2010, 02:04 PM   #279
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeVee View Post
Guys,

I thought we could discuss ideas here, i'm most definively in for watever is decided here, and yes ( qusp ...got your nik right?) team work means listening to others with some respect ( no wink ).

I was trying a theoretical solution to give opc the option of more availaible pcb space to work with, i was trying to help if there is doubt.

I have no problem in accepting that this option is not acceptable to you guys.

....and still availaible to help if it is deemed usefull.

I came in on this thread because i liked owen's work so much ...if there was doubt.

yeah you got it right mate thanks, its from a fantastic Greg Egan book, people get it wrong all the time because even though we are conditioned to all sorts of misspelt and crazy nicks, people just cant seem to bring themselves to put a u after a q without a vowel after it; even though its staring them in the face quasp and quisp are popular alternatives

hey look, I have no issue with you trying to help, in fact its appreciated. but at this late stage I think you gotta draw the line as to what exactly is helpful. this thread has been around for well over a year with no result (as far as a PCB anyway, as the design works quite well) for a number of reasons. the design is in place, the parts are in place, the specs are excellent!!, the sound is excellent!!, finalizing the PCB layout for heatsinking is really the only thing left to do. Changing the design and entering into power supply discussions is not going to help that. suggestions at this stage to rework it to such a degree including literally turning the thing upside-down; arent really what I would call productive towards that end.

we could also add a sophisticated MUX with spdif to i2s convertor, discrete shunt regulated power supply and an MCU for volume control/input switching, but that wouldnt be productive at this stage either. these are the sort of things people can add themselves if they wanna take it that far

wasnt being disrespectful; facetious yes, disrespectful? not so much. sorry if I offended you

I have to kind of take a bit of a back seat here, because even though initially this was going to be designed with the ackodac in mind as the platform, OPC ended up buying himself a buff II; most likely due to impatience waiting for the ackodac to be finished (totally understandable as it was a long time coming, but it was a bit frustrating for me), so the direction changed for best fit with the buff both physically and WRT power supply. I run a buff II portable, but my home dac is an ackodac, so i'll have to live with a less than perfect fit and I dont mind that, but totally unusable without massively long signal connections doesnt thrill me, I may as well stick with what I have.

I have a feeling that the above would be impossible to route the traces around, but otherwise sure and if some of those holes could be in the right place for screwing the components down on the floor for those who wish to do that, that would work.
Old 28th September 2010, 02:49 PM   #280
diyAudio Member

Hi qusp,

you just confirmed my liking for australians, love the plave, love the people.....

the main reason i posted the above rendering was exactly to ilustrate where we should or should not put holes.....as it is shown it's a ver holy board....pun intended.

but not very easy to route around as you say.
Realistically i think we should place holes only beneath the heatsink wings, this would ease the routing issue to the transistors and resistors while permiting better air flow to the heatsinks.

Last edited by CeeVee; 28th September 2010 at 02:57 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!