A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 162 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2013, 05:37 AM   #1611
diyAudio Member

The USA -> AU mail system experienced massive delays for the month of December.
I get packages from one supplier frequently and they take roughly 5 days to arrive.
This time it was a month and a day...
Old 14th January 2013, 06:12 AM   #1612
diyAudio Member

IT's great news, finally, I see the light to finish my long-lasting project.
Old 14th January 2013, 06:14 AM   #1613
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
IT's great news, finally, I see the light to finish my long-lasting project.
You think that is a long project, ask qusp how long he's been working on his DACs!
Old 14th January 2013, 06:42 AM   #1614
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
ask qusp how long he's been working on his DACs!
Do not take advice from this man
Old 14th January 2013, 06:59 AM   #1615
diyAudio Member

For the record my personal opinion is that any project that doesn't take at least a year isn't any fun! Or you haven't made the project big enough!
Old 14th January 2013, 07:17 AM   #1616
diyAudio Member

My initial budget for this DAC project was $1,000 but now already exceed $4000 - still not finish. Using NTD1 was advised by qusp and it cost
Old 14th January 2013, 08:49 AM   #1617
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

A year? lol $4K? lol

besides i've built the equivalent of 4-5 entire balanced ESS dacs, to keep 'only' 2, but about to either add one of Ackos ES9016 units, which will actually work with the NTD1 as well, since the electrical characteristics (voltage and current output) are identical; or just finish the design for my own dual 9016 dac.

the ES9016 is just the 9018 Die without DVDD_L/R and DVCC_T pins being brought out, must be just generated internally from one of the other supplies. everything is the same, you can treat it just like 9018 but get slightly lower performance with less power supply fiddling/cost. i'm amazed it hasnt been taken on more readily. its not much cheaper as a chip (~15USD less) but will work out quite a bit cheaper to build a finished dac with. It should have exactly the same sound sig, has the same modulator, same everything as far as I can tell.

bigpandahk, if you budget for your dac initially was 1000, it was an unrealistic budget, like many who set out to build an ESS dac you didnt account for everything. I also strongly advised you against building dual mono (which tends to push the price up a touch...) and youve burned a dac or 2 along the way, added the fifo, long and varied arduino stuff. sorry but its all on you buddy even with dual NTD1 that should be ~25% max of the total cost even with the upgrades

its all good, but please dont put your expensive decisions on me. I think you'll like the result, but I also think you would have enjoyed the result of a single dac just as much. the ES9018 chip is already designed as dual mono in a single chip if the PCB and power supply is right ie. not to the datasheet or some other dacs on the market that followed it.

@ opc: no worries mate, indeed now you see why I try to always use express from Canada, it often causes this kind of worry.

@ hochopeper: indeed mate, lateral fets are in the house as well!

Last edited by qusp; 14th January 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 14th January 2013, 01:31 PM   #1618
diyAudio Member

Totally agree that $1000 was an unrealistic budget, but for someone knew nothing about digital audio, all I knew was a BIII DAC + PSU + case = $1000 lol
I like the result very much although it's not final yet. Looking forward to listen to the power of the NTD1.
Other than the expensive advice, you save my life (money) several times. In this several months, I learnt a lot and enjoy a lot
Old 14th January 2013, 05:18 PM   #1619
tkwou is offline tkwou  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi is there anyone interested in pcb and components. I have an original pcb and smd component kit from Owen and a set of matched quad FET's from qusp. I just never got around to doing the project and my eyesight is not good enough to work in smd anymore.
Old 14th January 2013, 06:59 PM   #1620
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwou View Post
Hi is there anyone interested in pcb and components. I have an original pcb and smd component kit from Owen and a set of matched quad FET's from qusp. I just never got around to doing the project and my eyesight is not good enough to work in smd anymore.
PM sent

Hide this!Advertise here!