A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 158 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2013, 10:13 PM   #1571
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
Excellent discussion above about the PSU overall.

If I were you, I would look closely at the superb linear voltage regs from TI. They make a +/- 1A pair in the TPS7A series that could probably be implemented with zener diodes to increase the voltage input and output range up to 45V. The noise is extremely low, and dynamic performance is superb, even though it's of little consequence. This setup would provide a tangible improvement over the 317/337 combo without driving dissipation through the roof like shunt regs would.

Cheers,
Owen
Great news, owen. I just received two Evaluation boards from Ti which am planning to modify the digital volume control for my 300B SE, now I can use one of it for the NTD1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ti PSU.jpg (863.8 KB, 269 views)
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:39 PM   #1572
diyAudio Member

Default EU Group 2 Shipping

Hi Guys

I have the boards and FET's packed and ready to ship, I've sent you all an email/PM with the details.

Hopefully all payments will come in over the weekend and I'll send them Monday.

This post is for the following - Blitz, lwif, Rolle, CeeVee, deanoUK, Emphrygian, Macfixer, Reenberg, ed linden.

Regards

Michael
Old 3rd January 2013, 11:42 PM   #1573
diyAudio Member

TrickyMickey,
I have made arrangements with Ed to buy his set. If it is OKay with you , I would like to have them shipped to me and save him the shipping cost. I wil arrange things with him and get hime to confirm with you.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:04 AM   #1574
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
TrickyMickey,
I have made arrangements with Ed to buy his set. If it is OKay with you , I would like to have them shipped to me and save him the shipping cost. I wil arrange things with him and get hime to confirm with you.
Hi Buzz,
I PMmed Tr. M. (Michael) with the same question. If it works, fine, if not you will have to wait a few more days,
Luck, Ed.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:04 AM   #1575
diyAudio Member

Thanks Ed.
Old 4th January 2013, 03:08 AM   #1576
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Great news, owen. I just received two Evaluation boards from Ti which am planning to modify the digital volume control for my 300B SE, now I can use one of it for the NTD1
I dont think the eval board for the positive reg is going to ve useful for the NTD1 at all i'm afraid.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:15 AM   #1577
diyAudio Member

Zfoils in Da house! after giving the aus government their pound of flesh.... and a piece of my mind hehe.

ive not ever received such a small bag worth so much cash! the house was empty apart from me today, I was out the back for a while, didnt hear anyone. thought I would check the tracking when I came in, it said 'delivered'... I said WTF! I looked at the door, nothing, had brief meltdown, then checked the letterbox, there was a card there telling me that my package was waiting for me next door....

sure enough, my neighbour saw me looking bemused and called me over. He said they were delivering a package to him and said I wasnt home so asked him to take it. this is fedex global express, insured on nearly $4K and they just gave it to someone else... all good all is well, hes a trustworthy guy and besides what would he do with them? he obviously had no clue what they were worth and why would he.

not really very impressed with that.

still no sign of the package from opc, hopefully not too far away.
Old 4th January 2013, 05:55 AM   #1578
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I dont think the eval board for the positive reg is going to ve useful for the NTD1 at all i'm afraid.
Sorry, qusp, I don't quite understand your comment, could you explain more details? Is this not the pair of LDO that Owen mentioned?
Old 4th January 2013, 06:22 AM   #1579
diyAudio Member

I will be trying another option in Zfoil place. They are Isabellenhutte PBh. Lower noise tha noise than most SMd resistors. Absolutely crush Caddocks. Will get some for qusp for him to compare.
Old 4th January 2013, 07:03 AM   #1580
diyAudio Member

yeah that would be cool, i've also bought some manganin to try winding some of my own for a bit of fun, but I didnt think the Isabellenhutte were rated for the dissipation we need here?

bigpandahk: the eval boards you have pictured? no, thats not the regs we are talking about. there are something like 100 ti regulators starting with tps7A. the ones we are talking about are rated for 1A, the one you have there will do 200m and 150ma max respectively.

it needs to be modified to cope with the higher voltage, as discussed and it needs a hell of a lot more copper for heatsink than on the eval board even if it could cope with the current.

we are talking about the TPS7A3301 (neg) which is QFN20 and is the matching negative counterpart to the TPS7A4700 youve been using for fifo and is on Ians reg board.

the negative part is not yet available in stock at digikey in the QFN20, will be soon, but the eval board wont cut it for either polarity for the job we have here. I will be doing a PCB shortly for them. with 2 pairs pos and neg, with additional heatsinking possibilities, higher voltage caps, the elevated voltage modification to get them to do +/-45v. I plan to make it so that it can sit under the edge of the IV board and with outputs that match the input positions.

Hide this!Advertise here!