A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 154 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st December 2012, 12:21 PM   #1531
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would tend to stay away from 'audio grade' caps for these positions, the specs are pretty ordinary, they are very large for how much capacity you get and the leads at least on the KZ are very thick, too thick for many PCBs. where are you doing the order? the original used united Chemicon KZE like this for the input and I think a nichicon PW 1800u/50 or 2200u/50, chemicon KY 2200u/50 for the output. which are still better choices IMO. these actually do have to put up with a bit of heat.
Old 31st December 2012, 12:22 PM   #1532
diyAudio Member

sorry which bypass caps are you after?
Old 31st December 2012, 12:27 PM   #1533
diyAudio Member

For 40V outputs, don't you want more headroom?
As for which kind, i dont care. The order is with Digikey. I know FC and Kg are "liked" by audio community. FM have excellent specs, but are limited at 50V. Just let me know.
The bypass caps are C32-C33, C38-C39, C40-C41, C46-C47
Old 31st December 2012, 12:57 PM   #1534
diyAudio Member

you mean 45v, the IV runs at 45v not 40v. in what circumstances can you forsee your regulators all of a sudden outputting more than 5v more than they are supposed to be? whats the headroom for? they have built in headroom, they dont just explode when you go over 50v =) i've been running 50v caps on the output for well over a year and its also what Owen specified. Yet another reason to use industrial rated caps, they tend to be tougher. run 63v caps for the reg inputs, but 50v for the outputs

the caps I linked have better specs than FM, audio people like all sorts of irrational things, the nichicon 'audio grade' caps are worse than their other caps in this case. the Chemicon KY 2200/50 are 17mOhm 105c and handle 3.68A ripple current and we can fit a 2700uf/50 in the same spot for a little more dosh. the Pana FC 2200/50 are 23mOhm, 105c and 3.1A ripple current. the FM are not even listed with these search parameters, so I gather they are not even going to fit, they need to be 7.5mm pitch, not 10mm.

for the bypass caps we dont use them =) they are part of a low pass filter that nobody used, in fact i'm not even sure Owen included it on the PCB in this round because nobody used it. thats why its a ? because you need to determine the value for yourself and I wouldnt be using a basic cap here. if I was populating it in parallel to a zfoil as part of a filter I might play with some small polystyrenes.

so forget them.
Old 31st December 2012, 01:23 PM   #1535
diyAudio Member

Thanks qusp. Ill use the ones you linked
Old 31st December 2012, 01:39 PM   #1536
diyAudio Member

cool, No worries. go the Chemicon KY 2200/50 for the output, it was the second 50V I linked. they are 50c each more in singles, but only 30c more in 100+ quantities and specs are quite a bit better. the caps I think Owen gave a bit more room this time around, but they are still very close to the heatsinks

Happy NY everyone! only minutes away here
Old 31st December 2012, 01:41 PM   #1537
diyAudio Member

I cant remember, Owen, did you end up deleting the dac/5th reg? that uses very different specs, as its much lower voltage the BOM speced a 15000uf/6.3v cap here if I remember, I dont use it
Old 31st December 2012, 01:54 PM   #1538
diyAudio Member

I will wait on OPC's answer about the 5th reg. I dont want to make any technical decisions, just defer to your expertise. Ill go ahead and add the caps and larger sinks and give updating pricing on what is decided up to this point.
Old 31st December 2012, 02:44 PM   #1539
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salomon View Post
In most cases with Buffalo III the EA-T220-38E-ND will become too hot, especially the 5,25V regulation!

It would be better to take the EA-T220-64E-ND

I already have written it here a long time ago.
You must not use it, but I am happy with the higher version.
qusp,
salomon recommended these, which digikey has. I think I already hav a good stock of the wider 2" ones. Will these fit the boards. Would mean some decent savings of about $.50/piece, as I bought them in large quantity for another GB.
Old 31st December 2012, 03:07 PM   #1540
diyAudio Member

wider which direction? there isnt much room, well nothing thickness-wise (across the board) because theres a pot in the way

Hide this!Advertise here!