A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 149 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2012, 10:33 AM   #1481
diyAudio Member

Ha!. I thought this was a thread on a DAC IV stage. That is bigger than my power amps. I love DIY.

Forgive me, I am being lazy, as I am in the middle of 100 projects, but what kinda of dissipation are we loking at here?
Old 30th November 2012, 11:53 AM   #1482
diyAudio Member

I think that with 45V rails you're looking at ~50W.
Old 30th November 2012, 11:59 AM   #1483
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphrygian View Post
I think that with 45V rails you're looking at ~50W.
yes, about 53-55W, thats only with the standard power supply and without including anything for dac power supply, so trust me, we need all that heatsink, but it will be enough to keep things at a reasonable temp. I figure there is enough to handle either a dual NTD1, or an NTD1 plus shunt regs for a few bits and pieces
Old 30th November 2012, 12:01 PM   #1484
diyAudio Member

I dont want black, it means that any holes done by us will look dodgy or have to be anodized again and there will be a LOT of holes that I need to do that others wont want. powercon definitely, not IEC the new powercon version. its very high quality, reasonably priced and good looking too

USB obviously would be good to get done, I need 2, one for the MCU. also black will show any possible marks made in shipping. I dont know if others are thinking about remote control? a window would be good for infrared, but I will be using wifi with these little fellas

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by qusp; 30th November 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 30th November 2012, 02:09 PM   #1485
diyAudio Member

I didn't think about how holes made after anodizing would impact the look, but I think you may be right.

As far as USB goes, I also want 2 (for the same reasons), but I'm going with Neutrik NAUSB connectors which are circular, so I don't need any special holes for them. I'm also going to setup some kind of (probably IR) remote, so somewhere to place an IR receiver would be good, but without looking much into it I was hoping a simple hole (which I can drill myself) would suffice.
Old 30th November 2012, 02:18 PM   #1486
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

I use the Neutrik NAUSB's too; it'd be a good USB 'D' type opening to standardize on.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:12 PM   #1487
diyAudio Member

I can live with those USB too, they do take up a bit of space, but space we have, as long as they are flush mount it doesnt bother me. pretty sure most building a dac like this could use the extra D type holes for something, they make ethernet too if someone is using that for i2s/teleporter. so perhaps we can standardize on a number of the D type holes, my cardas XLR will fit them too, so perhaps we could get 6-8 of those holes, then people could use for XLR, USB, RCA, BNC, probably even toslink? the powercon as I linked earlier is this one

Click the image to open in full size.

which I could even use 2 of as I was thinking of taking the dual thing to the extreme, silly as it may be, but thats not essential. these things would all be worth GB as well, I wonder what MOQ is to buy direct? we could possibly do better than mouser, which only gets us down to $8.49 if we get 25+ those, the USBs, the BNC perhaps could all be GB. actually best place might be markertek which has them for $3.59 even for 1 and 7.59 for the cable connectors vs 14.18 at mouser. so we should get all of those at markertek unless someone has a better source?

pricing at markertek is great, but I hardly ever order from there due to ridiculously high international shipping charges. so it would be awesome if one of the USA members could take delivery for a group order? nothing complicated, we dont want to make it a lot of work

Last edited by qusp; 30th November 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:37 PM   #1488
diyAudio Member

I use powercon connectors as much as possible. I also use their speakon connectors. Highly recommended. Just my 2c. I could get the powercon connectors and include them in the kit GB.
Old 30th November 2012, 06:12 PM   #1489
diyAudio Member

yeah on my speakers and amps i'm using speakon 4 pole and ITT Cannon 12 pole =) I like the speakon too. where would you get them? markertek? its less than half the mouser price
Old 30th November 2012, 06:13 PM   #1490
diyAudio Member

Markertek is great and fast and rarely lacking in stock.

Hide this!Advertise here!