Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th November 2012, 01:27 PM   #1471
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emphrygian View Post
Also, would anyone be interested in getting the case in all black or black with silver front panel?

I'm thinking it'll look a lot better than all silver...
All my stuff is black so I would consider black but I don't think we'll reach an overall agreement on this chassis. I would love to but seems like it will be hard... Knockout connectors would make it better for everyone not wanting unnecessary holes in their chassis but the cost of doing this could be restrictive.

Anyway, I'm all ears for now.

Do
Old 29th November 2012, 01:48 PM   #1472
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
All my stuff is black so I would consider black but I don't think we'll reach an overall agreement on this chassis. I would love to but seems like it will be hard... Knockout connectors would make it better for everyone not wanting unnecessary holes in their chassis but the cost of doing this could be restrictive.

Anyway, I'm all ears for now.

Do
Yes, I agree. Having lots of knockouts for connectors/display will probably eat away at whatever discount we'll get by buying together.

A more sensible option is of course to get only the rectangular cut outs done, since they are the trickiest, and everyone can add round connectors at their own leisure. "All" you need is a proper drill press. Or a regular drill if you're feeling adventurous

If we can agree on, say, specific mounting holes for XLRs that's fine too, but I think we need to go for the least common denominator rather than trying to please anyone and everyone.
Old 29th November 2012, 02:38 PM   #1473
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

Yep, we'll certainly stand a better chance of coming together on this if we're flexible. I'd be good with just getting the difficult holes drilled, then drilling the rest of the ones we each want. Black is good, bare aluminum is good. I'll have it powder coated black if it's not already black :-)
Old 29th November 2012, 04:57 PM   #1474
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRogers View Post
Yep, we'll certainly stand a better chance of coming together on this if we're flexible. I'd be good with just getting the difficult holes drilled, then drilling the rest of the ones we each want. Black is good, bare aluminum is good. I'll have it powder coated black if it's not already black :-)
You're certainly correct on this. On my side I've got all the right tools in the garage to work wood and metal but if I have to anodize or powder coat it, it will be an extra 200$ on top of probably 350$+ with shipping... I'm kinda in between now.

We'll see what the cost will be because right now we have 0 clue. It could be interesting if we're enough to buy into it.

Do
Old 29th November 2012, 09:55 PM   #1475
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
cocojazzsta
no there are no boards left and no its not designed for 1704, like the thread subject says... its for ESS. its a pretty highly modified version, runs at double the voltage at least, doesnt have the buffer etc.
Thank you for your answer,
If you have any IV discrete stage suggestion working good with PCM1704 output, please tell me,
Old 30th November 2012, 12:29 AM   #1476
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah its obvious my email through his site didnt get through, I didnt follow up again because it was still so up in the air and I didnt want to waste his time again, because I contacted him when this GB was winding up last time, not last GB, this one before the delay.

I was suggesting the bare minimum holes just to make it easier to fit everyone and i'm really not keen on my panels being swiss cheese on the back of the panels for holes I wont use. so far the only commonality I share with you guys is a possible powercon and a display... if its thin enough to knock out on purpose, its thin enough to knockout by accident, or in shipping etc.

of course there IS a lot f work we can get done that IS common to all of us, all the dac mounting and NTD1 stuff. but I dont think there is any way we can have a finished case that will work for everyone

all one colour, no two tone. if we arent getting it fully how we want it means it would need re-anodising after any work done and I asked about black, the numbers needed was prohibitive

Last edited by qusp; 30th November 2012 at 12:38 AM.
Old 30th November 2012, 03:05 AM   #1477
diyAudio Member

Parts GB
buzzforb - 1
Magsy - 1
vitalica - 2
Reenberg - 1
Emphrygian - 1
qusp - 1
Iancanada - 1
crazikid - 1
bigpandahk - 1
Rolle - 1
Coolhead - 1
woresseo - 1
Old 30th November 2012, 03:27 AM   #1478
diyAudio Member

My primary motivation of joining the enclosure GB is to have a cooling solution with pre-drilled holes for the NTD1. The panel customization for me is secondary and negotiable, for example: cut-out for an LCD panel is ok with me, I did not plan to use one, but I can see myself adding one after having a functioning IV stage.
Old 30th November 2012, 05:37 AM   #1479
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woresseo View Post
My primary motivation of joining the enclosure GB is to have a cooling solution with pre-drilled holes for the NTD1. The panel customization for me is secondary and negotiable, for example: cut-out for an LCD panel is ok with me, I did not plan to use one, but I can see myself adding one after having a functioning IV stage.
exactly, its not like any of us is used to buying cases exactly how we want them, they always need work. As you say the best thing about this case is its attractive, reasonably priced and has suitable size and heatsinking for this dac without being a poweramp case. I think we need to focus on what is common and that is the need to house the NTD1 and ESS dac.

I already have all the heatsink drill template info from last round so thats covered, we just need to figure out what additional mounting arrangements are needed for regulators etc. the internal stuff is pretty flexible. we should have one wall to wall off the transformers and one floor which can mount Fifo, USB etc, additional input circuitry and possibly an MCU/arduino etc.

so we should start by working out what we have in common, then see what of the rest we can all live with.
Old 30th November 2012, 09:47 AM   #1480
diyAudio Member

Mike from SiliconRay got back to me and said that 10 pcs of a custom RE3220WH should work out at about the same price per piece as the standard offering, which seems fair. I specifically asked if we could get it it all black, so hopefully that's included in the price.

Apart from the heatsink tapping (which I assume everyone wants) and as I said before, the non-circular stuff is what I think we should focus on. What springs into my mind then is the following:
- IEC outlet on the back (Does everyone want one? I'm leaning more towards powercon thanks to its locking feature, but I'll go with whatever the majority decides.)
- Toslink input on the back (Do most people want one and can the others live with the small hole?)
- LCD/VFD opeing on front

The last item is probably where we will have to reach some sort of compromise. You who are not planning to use a display, can you accept the way the original case looks in this respect? I mean, the opening is clearly visible from the front, but at least it's not an empty, black hole.

Also, do we want a momentary switch on the front? If yes, we can perhaps get it nicely recessed (again, like the standard case).

Hide this!Advertise here!