A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 130 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th November 2012, 01:44 PM   #1291
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

what is everyone planning for enclosures? I must say i'm surprised at the small amount of interest in a case thats perfect, attractive and well priced. i'm not sure the majority here realize whats required to house this IV stage properly, i'm not even sure opc has it in a case yet...
Old 8th November 2012, 01:48 PM   #1292
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

I don't

But I do have plans! I just need access to a table saw and a non-ferrous blade which won't happen until Christmas.

The case suggested does indeed look great, I just fear that cost would be prohibitive. Before I go back and look for the old post about it, do you know how much they would be if we had say 10-15 people?

Cheers,
Owen
Old 8th November 2012, 02:17 PM   #1293
diyAudio Member

i'll have to go back and check what he said, its been a while, but from memory what we ended up with was a customized case with tapping to match our hole patterns on the heatsink, all mounting hardware and the ability to customize the internal setup to suit, say for example an internal secondary floor, mounted in the middle of the case that only extends ~75% across towards the heatsink that we can mount USB, fifo and clocking, any control, maybe a couple shunt regs, or headphone amp etc. on and allow the shortest distance to the IV stage and dac, which is of course mounted vertically jutting out from the heatsink towards it. this leaves the entire bottom floor still for various power supply transformers, preregulators etc, keeping them nice and far away.

its the only case ive seen that will actually provide fairly well as standard, for a really clean layout of this dac without serious customization

basically it meant that we got that stuff for free if we can agree on some standard holes. I dont think its that expensive given it comes standard with all the heatsink needed. given that you either need to make a case from scratch, or modify a poweramp case to get enough heatsink. i'll go back and check my exchange with him and repost. i'll be doing it regardless, but if theres enough of us it becomes more viable to customize it to our needs, proper milled connector holes, hole and mounting for a display and even pretty reasonable pricing on laser etching for a logo or something (though this is more dramatic with black anodized etched back to silver, rather than silver on silver)
Old 8th November 2012, 02:25 PM   #1294
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

I've got all the tools to make a good chassis but I've been lazy the past couple months and if the price including shipping makes sense then I will buy the chassis for sure.
Old 8th November 2012, 02:27 PM   #1295
diyAudio Member

+1
Old 8th November 2012, 02:37 PM   #1296
diyAudio Member

whoops misread Do's post as yours opc, it wasnt there

Even those who have the tools and skills (and that will be the minority, I sure dont) the time to make such a case is significant and worth more than the cost of the case to most of us, so you have to be really into that side of things as a hobby for it to be worthwhile. to be able to model up the hole pattern (I can do this here in a format thats useful to him) and receive a case that has been designed to spec and comes with all fasteners, so that it just all slots together, thats pretty priceless for the time poor and it would still be unique enough to feel like what it is, high end DIY, not to the level of the F5X GB, but getting there.

i'll drop him another email and report back
Old 9th November 2012, 01:34 AM   #1297
diyAudio Member

Default GB

Hi,

I noticed in the spreadsheet that only 55 of 56 boards were accounted for. Is it too late to get the last one ? I am in Australia. Or has packing been finalised.
Old 9th November 2012, 02:43 AM   #1298
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

One buyer never did pay or respond, so I pulled them off the list.

I offered the board to Magsy who was first in line, but after a few days I haven't heard anything there either.

If I still haven't heard anything in the next few days, I'll let you know. You would have to take both the board and a set of fets, and shipping will be a little more as the Australia package shipped out today.

Cheers,
Owen
Old 9th November 2012, 03:44 AM   #1299
diyAudio Member

Not a problem,

Thanks.
Old 9th November 2012, 05:44 AM   #1300
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regland View Post
ZFoil

Qusp