A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 129 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2012, 01:47 AM   #1281
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

ok then i'm out of the cap GB, not interested in mundorf, they mosty just slap labels on other peoples products and add markup. my caveat about it still stands oil or no oil
Old 7th November 2012, 02:41 AM   #1282
diyAudio Member

will see if anyone else is interested in VCAP before bailing, makes no difference to me as i'll just grab when i'm ready and SG is not even all that much cheaper for me, gotten with an order (international shipping blows small orders out bigtime to Au) the difference in price is really not that much, but I tried all these years ago. for a metalized PP cap the SG is OTT expensive. the new range coming soon is priced more inline with what I would expect for PP

I take the relabeling others products thing back, its unproven rumor. tried to edit

Last edited by qusp; 7th November 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 7th November 2012, 03:03 AM   #1283
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

It was just a suggestion (just wanted some opinions, not actually change anything). Let's keep the Auricap XO since lots of people already signed for it. I've also left the Vcap CuTF in the list. I believe Teflon is a better bypass cap but its price is restrictive, at least for me at the moment if I want to be able to buy everything else.

Qusp, are you staying in the cap list for the Auricap XO?

Do
Old 7th November 2012, 03:06 AM   #1284
diyAudio Member

yeah i'll stay in for auricap, i'll just add bypass caps when I get around to it, for now i'll just use some small copper and polystyrene or copper and pps for bypass, these I already have.

so I suppose we should decide on a value for these Auricap. i'm using 4.7uf, thats fine for all but quite low input impedance amps, 3.3uf is fine for most. the BOM calls for a 10uf cap to cover all bases, but it would be pretty extreme case that needed anything that high.

Last edited by qusp; 7th November 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 7th November 2012, 01:53 PM   #1285
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

For most people 3.3uF should be fine. It plays well with anything that has 10k or higher input impedance.

If your next stage happens to have very low input impedance, like 600 ohms, then you'll need to go up to at least a 22uF cap.

The 10uF specified is to ensure there is minimal rolloff even if the load is 1k.

I would argue that if your next stage has low input impedance, even a crummy 22uF cap will sound noticeably better than a very good 3.3uF as the latter will roll off the bottom end and cause an associated phase shift which will be audible.

I'm not saying that 3.3uF is too small, but I am saying that you need to consider what the next piece of equipment in the chain looks like in terms of input impedance before selecting a value for that cap, especially at the prices you guys are looking at

Cheers,
Owen
Old 7th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #1286
diyAudio Member

for sure Owen, i'm just prompting discussion for exactly the reasons you state, I dont want people spending lots on caps that arent large enough, or too much for caps that are far larger than they need (physically as well, as this will impact on analogue performance)

I have a very simple excel calc that shows the 3db corner point and rough 10x rule of thumb for phase distortion, given cap size and amp input impedance.ive had it for years since I was just beginning 'diy' doing ipod iMODs and all that jazz. so if anyone would like that, shoot me a PM with your email, doesnt want to let me attach an .xls file here, i'll try compressing it to see if that helps.

perhaps we should have 2 values, say 3.3 and 6.8uf? but if those who dont know what they need would like to do the calc, that would be recommended before we go any further. suppose it depends on how much extra it pushes the price down if we get all 1 value.

hey i'm going to see if Auricap will respond to me directly if I use my credentials =) this is a reasonable size order, we could perhaps bypass PCX entirely

Last edited by qusp; 7th November 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 8th November 2012, 02:51 AM   #1287
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on the status of the GB...

Absolutely everything is packed up, addressed and ready to go out in the morning. The four bigger boxes are going out to the four distributors, and the smaller padded envelopes are the Canadian orders. I would expect a few of the Canadian orders will arrive before the weekend, but the international ones will take about a week to arrive. After that, it's just local shipping.

You can also check the following spreadsheet for exactly what mosfet set you happened to get. I have added usernames beside each set:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...TcyOXR4TGp3S0E

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8208.JPG (239.8 KB, 214 views)
Old 8th November 2012, 08:53 AM   #1288
diyAudio Member

ok then we better start wrapping stuff up, if I make the zfoil order in the next couple of days they'll be ready for shipping to me by the time the parts arrive here, so would then require about 1 week from that point for me to get everything packed up and ready to include them when they arrive.

sound like a plan? doesnt sound like anyone is up for the vcap so thats easy

i've sent Audience an email about the order, hopefully I get word back in the next day or 2. I asked about 70 pieces in 4.7 and 6.8uf

Last edited by qusp; 8th November 2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:04 AM   #1289
diyAudio Member

ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422