A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 115 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 03:34 AM   #1141
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

+1 on the keratherm reds - let me know cost. I should be in for at least 4 if not more. thanks
Old 24th September 2012, 03:59 AM   #1142
syklab is offline syklab  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi,

What is the keratherm reds ?
Old 24th September 2012, 04:03 AM   #1143
diyAudio Member

keratherm is high quality thermal interface material ...

datasheet - http://www.kerafol.com/fileadmin/use...atherm_red.pdf
Old 24th September 2012, 06:19 AM   #1144
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRogers View Post
Glad to hear you're still up for sourcing/matching the FET's qusp! Couldn't resist :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
Hi Guys,

Alright, so we've got two volunteers out of a possible three:

USA - MisterRogers - Has previously done a GB and knows how to poke fun at qusp! That's two pluses in my books.

Asia / Australia - qusp - No worries here either, so that's confirmed.

Europe - ?

As for the mosfets, I'll mull it over, as I might be able to dedicated some time to this. I already have the set up to do it, so I'll see if I can dedicated a few extra days to matching fets. They won't be cheap, however, since it's at least an hour per set in overall time plus the cost of the parts. My count is 37 quads of fets which means I would need to order a rail of 250 pcs to get enough good matches.

Cheers,
Owen
haha yep thats a plus in my book too

no worries on the rest, yeah I thought about it, i've still got the rig from last time and it worked out pretty well in the end after doing the research and building it, but I just cant justify taking that time, it would take me longer than your estimate since i'm sure you can attach a number of probes at once and maybe get it done quickly enough that tempco drift isnt as much an issue. if I used Zfoils for all the resistors in the test rig it would only leave the fet itself affected. if I were doing it again I would look at heating the heatsink actively so it could be kept at the same temp whatever time of day it was instead of waiting for it to heat up to a certain temp and stopping when it drifted too much.

that being said my rig was testing to a silly amount of zeros and drift probably wasnt as much an issue as it appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
Hi Qusp

Please count me for two sets of keratherm red isolation pad.

Thanks
will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Don't go double selling that keratherm mate, I still need my bits out of that sheet! :P

I don't have time to organise matching of any more FETs at this stage either.
hahas yeah sure, no worries I have enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasey197 View Post
+1 on the keratherm reds - let me know cost. I should be in for at least 4 if not more. thanks
done

Quote:
Originally Posted by syklab View Post
Hi,

What is the keratherm reds ?
(thermal interface material) its not a tweak for audio quality, just longevity, much better heat transfer to the heatsink than silpads

keratherm Red TIM orders

bigpandahk
kasey

hey we could do Zfoil resistors again if people are keen, easiest would be to send out to the regional distributors, i'd have to order pretty son though, as theyre made to order

Last edited by qusp; 24th September 2012 at 06:24 AM.
Old 24th September 2012, 08:01 AM   #1145
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
:

hey we could do Zfoil resistors again if people are keen, easiest would be to send out to the regional distributors, i'd have to order pretty son though, as theyre made to order
Hi qusp

Would you consider to arrange the GB
Old 24th September 2012, 08:27 AM   #1146
diyAudio Member

yeah I can handle that, as I dont think that will be too large and I was planning to make an order with them soon anyway. now that i've actually used the board for a while and have a better idea of what they are expected to dissipate, we can use them for both power resistor positions (2 x 200R and 2 x 400R per channel) i'm using 2 x tx220Z @400R and 2 x TX220S @220R. I initially thought the 12W rating might not be enough for the 200R position, but its fine.
Old 24th September 2012, 08:31 AM   #1147
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
yeah I can handle that, as I dont think that will be too large and I was planning to make an order with them soon anyway. now that i've actually used the board for a while and have a better idea of what they are expected to dissipate, we can use them for both power resistor positions (2 x 200R and 2 x 400R per channel) i'm using 2 x tx220Z @400R and 2 x TX220S @220R. I initially thought the 12W rating might not be enough for the 200R position, but its fine.
Let me be the first to join the GB.
Old 24th September 2012, 01:32 PM   #1148
Can you say Audio?
diyAudio Member

I'm in for the ZFoil's - also if you have it qusp, some keratherm.
Old 24th September 2012, 05:24 PM   #1149
diyAudio Member

no worries guys
Old 24th September 2012, 06:30 PM   #1150
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Good news and bad news...

Good news first:

The design passed DFM no problem and should be in production now. It's also slated for a three day turn as there was no cost savings going for a longer lead time since it's only a 2 layer board. I should have the boards by the end of this week or early next week.

Bad news:

Because of the size of the board, the maximum order size was a quantity of 56 pieces before being forced into a custom spec order. That would add tooling costs to the order and push the total board cost up dramatically (more like $35 each vs. $25 each) For that reason, I opted for the lower quantity which means some of the later orders might not get filled.

I'm actually expecting a higher than normal dropout rate for this project overall since it has been so long, so I would imagine there will be enough boards to keep everyone happy.

This is just a heads up to let everyone know.

I'll keep you all posted with the status, and I'll send out pictures of the boards when they arrive, and payment requests after that.

Cheers,
Owen

Hide this!Advertise here!