A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
bbp:

It's a little hard to get a read on the intentions of your posts, but I'm not getting a very warm and fuzzy feeling from the last few things you wrote.

There are a few basic etiquette items you're not respecting:

1. You've hijacked a thread to show results from your "modified" circuit, claiming it's a large improvement, and then not sharing the actual circuit. What was your reason for doing this? How is this information relevant to anyone in this thread if you don't share the underlying circuit?

2. You've made a claim that your circuit is achieving better performance, when it's actually a little bit worse. The noise floor looks to be higher, and the distortion is also higher than a standard NTD1.

3. You're claiming that the NTD1 is going to damage an ES9018 when this is not the case. The NTD1 is a thoroughly tested and widely used circuit. Mine has been in constant service for several years and is still performing perfectly. I have posted measurements way back in the thread of the voltage swing on the output of the DAC (source of the fets) during startup and shutdown, and there is no risk of damage with a properly built and adjusted NTD1, with or without the zener diodes. Please don't make completely false and unsupported claims that the NTD1 will harm the DAC.

As for the patent, I think you might be getting a little ambitious. It's essentially impossible for an individual to foot the bill for a patent application and the subsequent legal muscle required to protect it. This of course is in addition to the fact that I strongly doubt there is any new art to be had in this area. A better voltage source on the gate is hardly groundbreaking and not really a deviation from the existing circuit. Add to this the fact that performance is worse, and you're not looking at much of a patent application.

Forgive me if I've misunderstood the intentions of your posts, and I don't mean to be overly harsh, but this forum is all about the sharing of information for the betterment of everyone's knowledge and personal listening experience. After all, it's how you found this circuit in the first place isn't it? Tis the season for more giving and less taking!

Regards,
Owen

I am sorry I can not edit the previous measurement post. It's out of edit time limit.

Hello,

I am a little newbie on this forum. I was looking for a good I/V stage for a ESS9018 DAC.

To start, I thought to take the one available on DIYNHK and put the D1 behind. Do you think it's a good starting point ? Does the NTD1 better match with the Twisted Pear Audio Buffalo 2se ?

Sorry if I have stupid or allready answered questions.. I am still reading this very long thread (and others).

I allready did place an order for 4 PCB of the NTD1 stage. My idea is to use it for a 8 channel DSP-DAC-Preamp.

Thanks !

DJ

I am so confused. Too many acronyms:)

Is there a page or website for a look at the whole setup, amp, dac, and whatever other components are required?

Even just a FAQ would be helpful. This thread is too long and winding to digest, especially for a non EE hobbyist just getting started.

Fyi- I'm not complaining, I'm just confused!

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if I could adapt the NTD1 V3 I/V stage to my conditions? So that it still sounds really good though. If so, how...(link?)?

- Output impedance must be less than 100 ohms
- Output voltage much higher: RMS about 10 volts (~ 30Vpp(+15V/-15V))
- Using 4 AD1862 (not PCM63)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.