A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 106 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2012, 01:06 PM   #1051
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc View Post
I'm happy with my BII for the time being, and I don't really want to buy a BIII
So do I, so I hope the proposed changes will not affect the connections to BII.
Old 11th June 2012, 01:12 PM   #1052
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

I think Buffalo II and III have the same layout (mounting holes and boar-to-board connections) when used in stereo mode. At least they both fit the same twisted pear I/V stages. The BIII board is just a bit longer in the digital input end.
Old 11th June 2012, 01:14 PM   #1053
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Owen, the shunts are not optional on BIII and there is no onboard power at all. the digital inputs and switching are completely different and actually IMO overcomplicated, I think they require the external receiver MUX unless you send it TTL which as you know the ESS will take natively, but then you would be occupying one of the i2s inputs and stop any i2s switching. I dont think you can really cater for it on the board TBH and would not look forward to the delay it would cause to try, it would be a complete redesign.

if you thought the ackodac was complicated, BIII takes it to another level IMO

Last edited by qusp; 11th June 2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11th June 2012, 01:17 PM   #1054
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE=opc;3055500]
I need to ask a favour though... is there anyone out there with a BIII who can provide a diagram with the positions of the inputs and outputs? I'd like to re-arrange the PCB so that it works perfectly with the BIII as I don't think anyone can get the BII any more.

/QUOTE]

I have the BIII and can measure the dimensions, please give me a couple of days.
Old 11th June 2012, 01:20 PM   #1055
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
Even though I don't have a BIII I could try doing up a layout diagram for you that would mainly be compiled from information from TPA's online manuals to save you some time.
No I can't do it confidently from online info, there isn't enough detail that I can find.
Old 11th June 2012, 01:21 PM   #1056
diyAudio Member

ask Iancanada, hes bought it recently and is part of this GB, he has made some adapters for his fifo sync mode clock adapters, so is bound to have taken some good measurements and may even be able to share usable documents (minus unwanted or proprietary detail) from his layouts
Old 11th June 2012, 01:27 PM   #1057
diyAudio Member

please dont get rid of the ackodac mounting holes!! its actually started to pick up steam with more owners including about 4-5 of us (that I know of) in this thread, I suppose it would be asking too much to have a signal input to suit, but please dont lose the mounting holes
Old 11th June 2012, 02:21 PM   #1058
diyAudio Member

Owen

I just did some measurement as attached. Let me know if you want more information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buffalo-III_Board_Outline.jpg (150.5 KB, 297 views)
Old 11th June 2012, 02:41 PM   #1059
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Hi Owen,

Hope the protest didn't interrupt the F1 too much...!

Since there's already a large BII base out there, including myself, I'm hoping you're planning on keeping the BII layout in there?

I'm not really wanting to change the BII since there's no real improvement in SQ/advantages going with BIII except for separate 8 output...

Thanks
Do
Old 11th June 2012, 02:55 PM   #1060
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Hi Owen,

Hope the protest didn't interrupt the F1 too much...!

Since there's already a large BII base out there, including myself, I'm hoping you're planning on keeping the BII layout in there?

I'm not really wanting to change the BII since there's no real improvement in SQ/advantages going with BIII except for separate 8 output...

Thanks
Do
Completely concur
Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!