A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac - Page 104 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2012, 02:08 PM   #1031
Regland is offline Regland  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hopefully not pushing my luck but added a second one if available.

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
28. analog_sa x2 + fets x 2 (shipping to US)
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets
31. trickymicky X 1 + fets
32. Regland x 2

Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 02:33 PM   #1032
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
You would need 2 x o22 to power the D1 IV only, the o11 is a single polarity, single regulator with several outputs from the same voltage source, I have several o22 as well, but no I didnt bother as its not built for +/-45vdc. I intended to modify some, but didnt get around to it.

confused by your question a little, how could a single 3 term reg replace 7+ regulators of different voltages? yes prereg. I dont actually use it but thats what its for. rem,ember i'm not using the buff in any permenant capacity with tyhe D1, I use ackodac akd12p and this has always had dedicated regs for all voltages as standard.

I use a mix of various regulators and LiFePO4 for the dac itself, but for the IV I just use the standard NTD1 psu, but snapped off and mounted to the floor in a more convenient placement for my layout. I tried salas regs, but for me the PITA and extra heat was not worth the trouble, there are bigger fish to fry, so I went back to stock to allow more tweaking room for the dac, clocks, USB-i2s etc and I still ran out of room; so here I am
Sorry, not a single supply, Hynes actually makes Trident replacements and also AVCC so I have 5 of them since avcc is two modules. They mount like the Tridents and are about the same size.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:34 PM   #1033
diyAudio Member

I've posted query on TPA's thread and Brain confirmed that thing are happening with AC2.
I agree with you that things under the control of our own hand is much better than waiting for others. With my limited knowledge on software programming, it is another big project for me to implement the arduino control. That's fun of DIY.

As qusp said, the VFD must be an item in the GB in order to reduce the price.
Old 21st May 2012, 03:17 PM   #1034
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah AC2 hey? nice theory.... AC1 was vaporware that has been talked about since 2006 or before and only glt, the TP guys and maybe some other unnamed secret servicemen got them, AC2 looks to share a similar fate as was first mentioned in 2009 I think. 'things have 'been happening' for 6 years, there was talk of the PCBs being ready back then. this is one of those occasions I think its better to not mention on your blog or forum that something is ready until it IS ready. there will be quite a few people around the world who made chassis decisions and purchases based on the availability that never came to be. I get that its a hobby business, but people do very real things with the products /rant

Last edited by qusp; 21st May 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 21st May 2012, 03:21 PM   #1035
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Sorry, not a single supply, Hynes actually makes Trident replacements and also AVCC so I have 5 of them since avcc is two modules. They mount like the Tridents and are about the same size.
I realise that, but you mentioned the reg as prereg, or powering the dac directly and since the b3 does not have any onboard regs at all anymore, I couldnt work out what you meant. so you meant prepre reg or merely prereg? hehe
Old 21st May 2012, 07:01 PM   #1036
Horio is offline Horio  United States
diyAudio Member

I like your idea of setting the heatsink up for either 2 x D1 or 1 x D1 plus Salas shunt (I'd probably do the later). It's going to be awfully hard to get everyone to agree on front/rear panels, so it might be best to keep it simple and let people customize it themselves. I like the idea of a logo and hole for momentary switch on the front and maybe a blank panel for the back. I'm open to other ideas (like an LCD or volume/selector knob/cavity) if we can get people to agree on something.

D1 Enclosure GB List

Siliconray RE3220WH Enclosure GB
See post #1005 for details. We need a minimum of 20 units to make this enclosure GB possible.

qusp = 1
hochopeper = 1
opc = 1
pinnocchio = 1
woresseo = 1
vitalica = 1
horio = 1
Old 21st May 2012, 08:18 PM   #1037
diyAudio Member

pretty sure we'll be able to get most people in favor of the display, ideally I would have large volume and smaller rotary endless encoder/button but thats easy fixed
Old 21st May 2012, 08:33 PM   #1038
adelias is offline adelias  Greece
diyAudio Member

I'm considering joining the GB. The only thing holding me back is the the overall size of the case. I find it quite a bit large for my needs. I know that Siliconray is pretty open about making adjustments to the cases that he offers, including resizing. This can be observed in the Ncore case GB. Is the size of the case open to discussion?
Old 21st May 2012, 08:40 PM   #1039
diyAudio Member

No, for me, definitely NOT, that and the large heatsink that dictates the sized are why i'm interested at all and why I brought it up in the first place, otherwise I would be doing a 2 box. I think you underestimate the size your dac will be if you option it up. trust me, the more room the better layout, trying to fit the NTD1 in edgeways especially with shunts, fifo, usb-i2s control systems etc, or a second dac requires a case this big or you will end up struggling to find the right layout and thus going to all that trouble and expense only to compromise one of the most important things. plus its only JUST tall enough for the board.

sorry, dont mean to be blunt, but thats one if, if not THE most appealing feature. big tall case, big heastsink, but doesnt look like a poweramp

Last edited by qusp; 21st May 2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:49 AM   #1040
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
No, for me, definitely NOT, that and the large heatsink that dictates the sized are why i'm interested at all and why I brought it up in the first place, otherwise I would be doing a 2 box. I think you underestimate the size your dac will be if you option it up. trust me, the more room the better layout, trying to fit the NTD1 in edgeways especially with shunts, fifo, usb-i2s control systems etc, or a second dac requires a case this big or you will end up struggling to find the right layout and thus going to all that trouble and expense only to compromise one of the most important things. plus its only JUST tall enough for the board.

sorry, dont mean to be blunt, but thats one if, if not THE most appealing feature. big tall case, big heastsink, but doesnt look like a poweramp
I second that!

Hide this!Advertise here!