A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Buzzforb - i just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any payment to you for the component GB -- no rush or anything if it the component list is still in progress - I guess a lot of us are busy with all the preparation for Christmas :)

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all you
Soren

Land Ho! Boards on sight :radar:. I'll post them (fets and pcbs) asap via letter mail (bubble kind thing with extra protection for pcbs, fets came in their protective plastic box)
:cheers:

thanks Mike, will do. I had pretty much counted on the same people who did the boards if at all possible. will let you know when I have tracking on the resistors, thus have a better estimate.

No, problem doing it. Somebody already ask me to post boards-fets with caps-resistors together.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody :deerman:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Great news!!!

Thanks for the prompt update Savvas!

I would imagine the other two international parcels will not be far behind, so it looks like things are going according to plan.

As a reminder to all the GB members, you will be getting a payment request from the local distributors to cover the cost of shipping from them to you. Please be prompt and courteous to each of them, and make the payments quickly.

Note that nobody in the GB has paid anything for shipping to date, and this method will allow shipping to be done for very little money. Each of the distributors is putting their time and effort into getting your board and fets to you for the least amount of money, so return the favor and get the payments for shipping out to them right away.

Happy Holidays!

Owen

OK guys, Finally getting around to posting. I have included the BOM for you to have a look. THere are a few options that individual must decide. Final price can only be determined after I have received communication from individuals with their specfic request. ANy questions, ask Qusp:rofl:. JK, contact me through PM.

Attachments

• Dac BOM.pdf
    212.3 KB · Views: 166
ha bloody ha....

BTW I have shipping notification for the resistors too, as well as notification of an impending GST bill (10%) from Fedex :( no import duty because of our free trade agreement and correct labelling for the airway bill, but there is tax, however we avoided the USA sales tax by me buying it from here.

i've been assured there will be no extra brokerage fees from Fedex. will let you guys know how it pans out early-mid this week. I guess the amount caused a red flag, anything over 1K is supposed to be taxed, doesnt always happen though and we got it through last time too, but recently Au is actually talking about reducing our tax free threshold from the 1k it is now.... so guess they are tightening up, not looking forward to that.

We avoided it with the caps so thats a win, but TC wouldnt come to the party and despite calling the ATO and Customs to try and find a way around the GST for the parts that werent staying in the country, it couldnt be avoided and multiple shipments wasnt on the cards either, my requests for that were interpreted as attempts at tax evasion lol, which of course they were..... Better here than EU or Asia, we'll be able to work something out to keep further tax to the regional guys to a 'minimum', we'll do that offline though.

in fact lets not continue this convo in the thread

Heatsink for TO-220 Black

In most cases with Buffalo III the EA-T220-38E-ND will become too hot, especially the 5,25V regulation!

It would be better to take the EA-T220-64E-ND

I already have written it here a long time ago.
You must not use it, but I am happy with the higher version.

Last edited:
Rolle was helpful enought to point out two errors. One is just numerical in nature and pertain to the undetermined bypass caps. I got the parts numbers wrong, but they remain undetermined.

The other was more important. I did not include the 8 - 63V 2,200 uF caps for the 40V regulators. They were not on my printed BOM, an oversight to which i offer my apologies.

There are two options that seem reasonable. We need to make a choice.
NIchicon KG 63v 2.2mF @2.50/piece
Panasonic FC 63V 1.8mF @2.10/piece
I tend to lean toward the KG even though the FC are longer life products.

Please feel free to double check everything. It will only help.

I would tend to stay away from 'audio grade' caps for these positions, the specs are pretty ordinary, they are very large for how much capacity you get and the leads at least on the KZ are very thick, too thick for many PCBs. where are you doing the order? the original used united Chemicon KZE like this for the input and I think a nichicon PW 1800u/50 or 2200u/50, chemicon KY 2200u/50 for the output. which are still better choices IMO. these actually do have to put up with a bit of heat.

you mean 45v, the IV runs at 45v not 40v. in what circumstances can you forsee your regulators all of a sudden outputting more than 5v more than they are supposed to be? whats the headroom for? they have built in headroom, they dont just explode when you go over 50v =) i've been running 50v caps on the output for well over a year and its also what Owen specified. Yet another reason to use industrial rated caps, they tend to be tougher. run 63v caps for the reg inputs, but 50v for the outputs

the caps I linked have better specs than FM, audio people like all sorts of irrational things, the nichicon 'audio grade' caps are worse than their other caps in this case. the Chemicon KY 2200/50 are 17mOhm 105c and handle 3.68A ripple current and we can fit a 2700uf/50 in the same spot for a little more dosh. the Pana FC 2200/50 are 23mOhm, 105c and 3.1A ripple current. the FM are not even listed with these search parameters, so I gather they are not even going to fit, they need to be 7.5mm pitch, not 10mm.

for the bypass caps we dont use them =) they are part of a low pass filter that nobody used, in fact i'm not even sure Owen included it on the PCB in this round because nobody used it. thats why its a ? because you need to determine the value for yourself and I wouldnt be using a basic cap here. if I was populating it in parallel to a zfoil as part of a filter I might play with some small polystyrenes.

so forget them.

In most cases with Buffalo III the EA-T220-38E-ND will become too hot, especially the 5,25V regulation!

It would be better to take the EA-T220-64E-ND

I already have written it here a long time ago.
You must not use it, but I am happy with the higher version.

qusp,
salomon recommended these, which digikey has. I think I already hav a good stock of the wider 2" ones. Will these fit the boards. Would mean some decent savings of about $.50/piece, as I bought them in large quantity for another GB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.