A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think that with 45V rails you're looking at ~50W.

yes, about 53-55W, thats only with the standard power supply and without including anything for dac power supply, so trust me, we need all that heatsink, but it will be enough to keep things at a reasonable temp. I figure there is enough to handle either a dual NTD1, or an NTD1 plus shunt regs for a few bits and pieces

I dont want black, it means that any holes done by us will look dodgy or have to be anodized again and there will be a LOT of holes that I need to do that others wont want. powercon definitely, not IEC the new powercon version. its very high quality, reasonably priced and good looking too

USB obviously would be good to get done, I need 2, one for the MCU. also black will show any possible marks made in shipping. I dont know if others are thinking about remote control? a window would be good for infrared, but I will be using wifi with these little fellas

xbee-xbeepro-series1_lg.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't think about how holes made after anodizing would impact the look, but I think you may be right.

As far as USB goes, I also want 2 (for the same reasons), but I'm going with Neutrik NAUSB connectors which are circular, so I don't need any special holes for them. I'm also going to setup some kind of (probably IR) remote, so somewhere to place an IR receiver would be good, but without looking much into it I was hoping a simple hole (which I can drill myself) would suffice.

I can live with those USB too, they do take up a bit of space, but space we have, as long as they are flush mount it doesnt bother me. pretty sure most building a dac like this could use the extra D type holes for something, they make ethernet too if someone is using that for i2s/teleporter. so perhaps we can standardize on a number of the D type holes, my cardas XLR will fit them too, so perhaps we could get 6-8 of those holes, then people could use for XLR, USB, RCA, BNC, probably even toslink? the powercon as I linked earlier is this one

nac3fpx.jpg

which I could even use 2 of as I was thinking of taking the dual thing to the extreme, silly as it may be, but thats not essential. these things would all be worth GB as well, I wonder what MOQ is to buy direct? we could possibly do better than mouser, which only gets us down to $8.49 if we get 25+ those, the USBs, the BNC perhaps could all be GB. actually best place might be markertek which has them for $3.59 even for 1 and 7.59 for the cable connectors vs 14.18 at mouser. so we should get all of those at markertek unless someone has a better source?

pricing at markertek is great, but I hardly ever order from there due to ridiculously high international shipping charges. so it would be awesome if one of the USA members could take delivery for a group order? nothing complicated, we dont want to make it a lot of work

Last edited:
OK guys, I'll let you battle it out for the chassis... I want none of those special connectors. I don't want to start chasing for special cables nor do I want to have to carry the cables everywhere or make special adapters if I bring some of my gears to friends. Not that I don't like those connectors, they're good quality but this is mainly for professional/industrial equipment where cables have to stay securely hooked up.

That said, I will build my own chassis and use FPE to make whatever I want. I have all the tools to work metal so it's a no brainer.

There's too many specific details I need/require and I don't want to stop anyone to get what they want. I like designing my own stuff and I already have most of the parts to make a nice chassis for it.

Sorry to be a party pooper but I'll do like all my other chassis and build them custom with some FPE.

I might however get the LCD and transfos, etc... in the GB if you add them.

Thanks
Do

sure pinnochio, no worries, but I dont think you got the gist. D cutouts allow whatever you want. neutrik make USB, RCA, XLR, ethernet, BNC, etc all in this same cutout so you can have flushmount whatever, so the point is you can arrange it however you like and its still looks just like you designed it that way. thats why they were designed

disagree about the power connectors just being for pro, its a 20A high quality connector for very little money that is far more suited to our purposes than IEC ever was.

besides, you dont bring your power cable with you to friends place when you bring your amp/dac/etc? hehe how often were you planning on carting a 30kg dac around with you anyway?

dont make any decision on my part anyway, I still need to work out if i'm in on it as well, shipping to AU is not cheap, but the main thing is I have an offer of help on my Dac chassis with CNC so have the opportunity to do something really unique. so its a matter if whether I still start with this chassis and get it sent to them, then sent to me, perhaps get additions to it or select panels machined remotely using my 3D models and hoping all fits together; or start from scratch.

this was only recently reaffirmed as an option and only came up after I found this case, but logistically sending this thing around could be a nightmare. plus there was always going to be a significant amount of extra machining for odd parts and connectors I need, given its for 4 channel synchronous clocking and wifi MCU control, plus my odd connector fettish.

so I should really shut up. i'm feeling guilty too because that would be only 8 people without pinnocchio, though probably when the design firms up and price affirmed opc and maybe others will come to the party... dont rule me out yet, but I cannot commit 100%. I have literally no metal working skills or tools aside from a hand-drill and dremel...

didnt want to leave it till the last minute to mention this possibility; but then I suppose I already mentioned it and theres a few people that are neither in or out at this stage.

haha can you tell I feel bad, look at the massive explanation.

Last edited:
Alright then, I'll stick around and see the final common configuration.

D cutouts are fine with me and I can always stuff connectors in unused positions to hide holes. Silver color bothers me but you're right about possible shipping scratches. In the end, price will keep me in or out of the chassis GB. I also have to anodize in the end and thus more money.

Let's see what we all come up with

Do

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
hmm... I guess people have not been following along with the posts, as I too have had several emails about the status of the GB.

Here's a quick summary:

1. All Canadian orders were shipped and have been received.
2. The US orders all shipped to MisterRogers, and he in turn shipped them all out within the USA. I believe all orders have been received in North America.

3. There are three other distributors:

- qusp - Asia
- savvas - South-East EU
- trickymicky - North-West EU

The packages to the three international distributors shipped out on November 9th and will take 4-6 weeks to arrive. Shipping by faster means overseas would have doubled the price of this GB, and I'm not exaggerating. Sending a single PCB and mosfet set, via insured tracked mail overseas costs roughly $72. I need all international GB members to be patient while the packages arrive with the above three people. Once they are there, local shipping should take less than a week via lettermail. I expect most people will get their items before the holidays if all goes well.

I will update people on here as soon as any of the sub-distributors confirm parcel arrival.

If you want to know who your distributor is, just consult the main list here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnMLwB9mdXl2dFh4dzdTM2V0cjlzNEhueklKd1hlbHc#gid=0

Cheers,
Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.