A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to discuss the enclosure for a bit. If we want to go ahead on a group buy there too, we need to decide on what kind of customizations we want/can agree on.

Looking at qusp's earlier post on the subject, I'd say he has a pretty reasonable list of stuff that we probably all want.

Back
Does everyone want XLR out x 2?
1-2 USB inputs is probably wise as well.
Toslink

What connectors are people planning to use? I'll use Neutrik, which is sort of neat because the mounting holes for all the connectors are round and of the same size. Usage of a common hole size means everyone can decide exactly what connectors they want to put in said holes (assuming Neutrik have a matching connector).

That also goes for the power connector, where Neutrik has a proprietary connector called Powercon. Is that something anyone (besides me) would be interested in using? In that case, we should probably get an extra hole on the back for a hard power break switch, as this is not integrated in the powercon connector (as it is on many IEC outlets).

A noteworthy exception here is Toslink, because I don't think the Neutrik Opticon is compatible with regular toslink contacts.

Front
Cut-out for display (I want one too now!)
Hole for momentary switch
(1x?)LED hole (I want this for an IR receiver)
Guide hole for rotary switch?

I'm not interested in putting a rotary on mine, but maybe we can combine a led mounting hole with a (small) guide hole for a rotary? That way, at least me and qusp will be happy ;)

Now I want some opinions. If this GB is to happen we really need to get this discussion going.

Also, if it would simplify things regarding connectors etc, I might (and I really stress might!) be able to get good prices on Neutrik stuff if you guys are interested. It can't be any large volumes, but since we are just about 10 people on the list for the enclosure GB, it'll probably be fine. I will need to double check this though.

I'd like to discuss the enclosure for a bit. If we want to go ahead on a group buy there too, we need to decide on what kind of customizations we want/can agree on.

Looking at qusp's earlier post on the subject, I'd say he has a pretty reasonable list of stuff that we probably all want.

Back
Does everyone want XLR out x 2?
1-2 USB inputs is probably wise as well.
Toslink

What connectors are people planning to use? I'll use Neutrik, which is sort of neat because the mounting holes for all the connectors are round and of the same size. Usage of a common hole size means everyone can decide exactly what connectors they want to put in said holes (assuming Neutrik have a matching connector).

That also goes for the power connector, where Neutrik has a proprietary connector called Powercon. Is that something anyone (besides me) would be interested in using? In that case, we should probably get an extra hole on the back for a hard power break switch, as this is not integrated in the powercon connector (as it is on many IEC outlets).

A noteworthy exception here is Toslink, because I don't think the Neutrik Opticon is compatible with regular toslink contacts.

Front
Cut-out for display (I want one too now!)
Hole for momentary switch
(1x?)LED hole (I want this for an IR receiver)
Guide hole for rotary switch?

I'm not interested in putting a rotary on mine, but maybe we can combine a led mounting hole with a (small) guide hole for a rotary? That way, at least me and qusp will be happy ;)

Now I want some opinions. If this GB is to happen we really need to get this discussion going.

Also, if it would simplify things regarding connectors etc, I might (and I really stress might!) be able to get good prices on Neutrik stuff if you guys are interested. It can't be any large volumes, but since we are just about 10 people on the list for the enclosure GB, it'll probably be fine. I will need to double check this though.

Hi Emphrygian,

Inputs
XLR EAS/EBU (Neutrik)
SPDIF
Toslink (regular Toslink... I don't want to start looking for cables or pay big bucks for special cables)
USB

Output
I guess both RCA and XLR (I only really need XLR)

Display
Cutout is ok for me but I believe it would be better to have a knockout for those who don't wish to have a LCD display. You can have it almost cutout by leaving 1/32" from inside this way it does not show on the outside and is easily removed and ready for LCD with tapped holes in place. For this we will need to standardize on an LCD or VFD display. I'm using the HiFi Duino BII code so the display has to be compatible for it (I'm guessing most will use arduino???).

I'd like all Neutrik XLR flange to be flush with the chassis... Looks better. I've built a few amps and preamps with those and used FPE to design it. OK for the momentary switch button (I like the Bulgin MPI002/28/D4 type switch) but if the hole is smaller I can drill a bigger one to accommodate it. If we put in a knob to control volume and arduino parameters, we should also decide a knob size and color and have the knob recess a little inside the front panel. This would look good. Knobs are quite cheap anyways...

These are my two cents... :D

Do

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
My board arrived, thank you very much OPC!

Qusp, I'd like to pay for keratherm, but i didn't get a payment request. Two sheets for me if possible.

Thanks

Give a shout out to MisterRogers as well, who was very quick on the turnaround! I really appreciate the extra support from the local distributors... it was still a lot of work getting everything together, but it was much more manageable than the last GB I did which involved hundreds of shipments and took months to complete!

Just as a heads up for everyone... the three international distributors will not get their parcels for at least another week. Everything went out via surface due to the massive cost of air shipping, so it's pure geographic proximity that accounts for the US and CAD boards arriving as quickly as they did.

I suppose if people have hung around this long, another week should be no problem :)

Cheers,
Owen

well the parts GB has not gotten properly off the ground yet either (though I believe buzzforb is working on it since a couple days ago) so its not a huge deal at all. the resistors will take 2-3 weeks, so absolutely no dramas. I suggest we just wait to send all out at once, unless you guys unanimously object?

Can someone confirm the current draw per channel please?

I read early in the thread a few times 115ma per +/- leg, 230ma per channel or ~460ma per 'board'.
I specced and ordered some expensive custom transformers based on that but reading the thread yet another time I see OPC referring to 230ma per leg later on which is going to mess me right up :(

I'm not planning on using the onboard regs but Salas shunts.

I am currently on a business trip, but would like to start a list for the component GB. I will post the list that Qusp sent over to let you know what will be included. Without numbers, I cant really move forward. THere is no reason why we can time this to go out with all other parts to make sure everybody has everything they need to build it up without delay.

buzzforb - 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.