A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Regarding the Auricap I'm starting to doubt that a 10uF will cut it for me. After running some more calculations and some simulations (thanks Owen for the nice test circuit!) I think I need at least a 22uF, preferrably higher, which isn't feasible for the group buy I guess.

I would like to get Owen's input on increasing the input impedance on the Wire AB amp, but unless it can be raised to at least somewhere around 4k without sacrificing too much performance (which I'd venture to guess Owen would have done if it was indeed possible), anything less than 22uF is probably too small.

I will think about it tonight and then remove myself from the Auricap list if I don't change my mind.

ahh, ok so before I do anything more, has everyone thought about this problem? so far it seems that at least half who have given it serious thought have discovered at this late stage that its not enough, its a bit bloody frustrating ive gotta say, ive been pushing people to think this through for weeks

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Regarding the Auricap I'm starting to doubt that a 10uF will cut it for me. After running some more calculations and some simulations (thanks Owen for the nice test circuit!) I think I need at least a 22uF, preferrably higher, which isn't feasible for the group buy I guess.

I would like to get Owen's input on increasing the input impedance on the Wire AB amp, but unless it can be raised to at least somewhere around 4k without sacrificing too much performance (which I'd venture to guess Owen would have done if it was indeed possible), anything less than 22uF is probably too small.

I will think about it tonight and then remove myself from the Auricap list if I don't change my mind.

With the BAL-BAL headphone amp, I really wouldn't hesitate to suggest changing to 10k resistors, but with The Wire power amp, I would not go any higher than what is already there. The noise penalty quickly starts to negate the advantages of a differential arrangement, and I personally wouldn't do it.

Increasing the value of that capacitor will only cost a few extra dollars, and has absolutely no negative impact other than the small cost. Increasing the resistor values in the power amp on the other had, will have an audible impact on noise floor, making it a bad idea.

Cheers,
Owen

Thank you for that answer Owen. I guessed as much, but now we have it in print. So, I'm out of the Auricap GB. Still in for Zfoil, Keratherm and enclosure.

Sorry for adding to your frustration qusp, but sometimes when my brain reads the words "group" and "buy" close together, it ceases to function properly for a while ;)

no his concerns are valid, increasing the cap to 22uf if he wants auricap, is not a few dollars, they only go up to 20uf and it adds like 16USD each, particularly as I dont like the chances of convincing everyone to get 22uf caps, which would be needed to get the discount.

going from 4.7uf to 10uf is only a few dollars, which is why thats what i'm suggesting we do, but its a big jump up to the 20uf

no worries I know the syndrome Emphrygian hehe, I know it well, but i'm concerned that even with all the conversation i'm still going to get a lot who pull out because they didnt think it through. but anyway I guess i'll send out the PM's now and cross fingers...

Last edited:
ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Pinnocchio
Bigpandahk
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
vitalica
Greg Stewart

Capacitors - Vcap CuTF for Bypass

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp
woresseo
vitalica
Emphrygian

ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Bigpandahk
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
vitalica
Greg Stewart

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp
woresseo
vitalica
Emphrygian

Joined 2011
Paid Member
added myself to enclosure and keratherm.

ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Bigpandahk
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
vitalica
Greg Stewart

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian
outriding

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp
woresseo
vitalica
Emphrygian
outriding

ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk x 2
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Bigpandahk x 2
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
vitalica
Greg Stewart

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk x 2
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian
outriding

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp
woresseo
vitalica
Emphrygian
outriding

Updated the list as I've ordered two sets of PCB+FET, therefore need two sets of cap, Zfoil and Keratherm

Last edited:
To all interested in the Group Buy.

Qusp has sent you a PM requesting your commitment (are you in or not). This is a lot of work on his side and I don't believe I'm asking too much to reply to him by email asap.

Please send him an email or PM indicating your commitment to buy and which items you want. Anyways, most of you are used to GB and I believe also know the drill. We need to get this going.

Thanks
Do

Based on the list of things that qusp has on offer for group buy, I am trying to figure out which and how many of those components that they will replace from the official BOM. If someone can point me in the right direction, it'll be much appreciated.

ZFoil - Z1-8
Auricap XO Capacitor - Is this capacitor for C34-35 C44-45, C9 C14 C19, C20-21 C18 C17?

ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk x 2
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Bigpandahk x 2
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo
vitalica
Greg Stewart

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk x 2
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian
outriding

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp
woresseo
vitalica
Emphrygian
outriding

you'll notice the time-stamp on my last post in the thread this morning, not my first post this morning, if you catch my meaning :D

i'm going to resist my first urges and instead thank the ridiculously small number of people who have replied, even if 2 of them were pulling out....

haha another, but cant email me? look this is the point where I would traditionally explode, the part where after much poking and prodding over weeks and weeks, even mentioning a pretty accurate predicted price a few days ago for the total for resistors and caps, but nothing, people continued adding their names to the list, people balk at a price that is 40% cheaper than retail? are you kidding me? impossible to get any other way, so they cannot have had any idea or made any effort to find out what the retail cost is... just put their names on the list like sheep, actually more like sheep who dont know what exactly it is they want.

well at least I get the PM, thanks for that Malvin, doesnt change the fact i'm ******* pissed, I put my name on the line for this, you guys make me look like an idiot it'll be the last time I get involved in any GB. i'm sick of it

I have received a total of 4 emails (2 were pulling out of the caps) as well as one PM pulling out of the caps and now a post, no email or PM, pulling out of the caps and resistors.

******* funny that is....

Last edited:
Based on the list of things that qusp has on offer for group buy, I am trying to figure out which and how many of those components that they will replace from the official BOM. If someone can point me in the right direction, it'll be much appreciated.

ZFoil - Z1-8
Auricap XO Capacitor - Is this capacitor for C34-35 C44-45, C9 C14 C19, C20-21 C18 C17?

The Auricap XO is supposed to replace the output cap(s), C28-29 and C51-52 in the schematic.

The Zfoils are for the power resistors, R13-14, R16-17, R25-26 and R28-29 (there will be two values of Zfoils, just like the BOM/schematic).

sorry qusp, pm sent
dropping out of zfoil and caps.
definite yes for a few kerotherm sheets

ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk x 2
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
Regland
woresseo
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Bigpandahk x 2
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Regland
woresseo
vitalica
Greg Stewart

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk x 2
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
woresseo
Malvin
Greg Stewart
Emphrygian
outriding

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp
woresseo
vitalica
Emphrygian
outriding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.