A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
yeah AC2 hey? nice theory.... AC1 was vaporware that has been talked about since 2006 or before and only glt, the TP guys and maybe some other unnamed secret servicemen got them, AC2 looks to share a similar fate as was first mentioned in 2009 I think. 'things have 'been happening' for 6 years, there was talk of the PCBs being ready back then. this is one of those occasions I think its better to not mention on your blog or forum that something is ready until it IS ready. there will be quite a few people around the world who made chassis decisions and purchases based on the availability that never came to be. I get that its a hobby business, but people do very real things with the products /rant

ROFLMAO!!! I gave up my hopes too... A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away... :D

Still I know it is just a hobby and not full time job for them, it could have made it before BIII. It is just not in their high priority... It should...

Anyways, I'm already using Arduino and it works beautifully!

there will be quite a few people around the world who made chassis decisions and purchases based on the availability that never came to be. I get that its a hobby business, but people do very real things with the products /rant

It is not good for their business when they lost trust from their customer. Fortunately, I haven't invest any on the AC2. Hope that I understand how to program the Arduino.

yep and I actually think things such as the beaglebone and rasberry pi are better suited to the task today for system integration. for instance the possibility of doing things like checking the weather for the day and adjusting bias dynamically to suit ambient temp, to get the most class A power out of a high bias AB poweramp like the lateral fet 'the wire' amp..

NDA complicated things for a while for AC1 documentation and application notes, but thats not really such an issue today, or for the last year or 2, certainly in time for the buff III. all of that shouldnt have been a surprise though

but hey you might be lucky....

Last edited:
@bigpandahk -- See the blog link in hochopeper post (#1029). From the Hifiduino blog, the author provides source code which you can download to interface with TP Buffalo II.

Simplicity is the advantage of Arduino. Its programming language is similar to BASIC and the almost non-existing software architecture guarantees a small learning curve, in comparison to Linux, which Beagle Bone and Raspberry Pi are based on.

On another note, I am still on RS Electronic's wait-list to purchase the Raspberry Pi. For $35 dollars, you get the computation power of a desktop computer in the late 90's, so not only can you use it to drive a VFD/LCD panel for this build, but also do auxiliary tasks like temperature monitoring, IR remote, etc.

I highly recommend everyone who are doing the enclosure GB, to consider the display panel. Unless you prefer the minimalist approach in equipment interface or rather have a few analog meters. ;)

@bigpandahk -- See the blog link in hochopeper post (#1029). From the Hifiduino blog, the author provides source code which you can download to interface with TP Buffalo II.

Simplicity is the advantage of Arduino. Its programming language is similar to BASIC and the almost non-existing software architecture guarantees a small learning curve, in comparison to Linux, which Beagle Bone and Raspberry Pi are based on.

I highly recommend everyone who are doing the enclosure GB, to consider the display panel. Unless you prefer the minimalist approach in equipment interface or rather have a few analog meters. ;)

I agree that Arduino is a good MPU for the control and display but this will be my next step after completing the BIII and NTD1. I hope the GB of NTD1 will be started soon.

I am sure will join the GB for the display panel but the enclosure need further consideration.

one for me

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
28. analog_sa x2 + fets x 2 (shipping to US)
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets
31. trickymicky X 1 + fets
32. Regland x 1
33. flocchini x1

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was at the Montreal Grand Prix from Wednesday to Sunday, so I'm running a little behind on pretty much everything right now. It was worth it to see those F1 cars though... what incredible pieces of mechanical engineering.

I'll get cracking on this very soon, as the list is now pretty long and people have been quite patient.

I need to ask a favour though... is there anyone out there with a BIII who can provide a diagram with the positions of the inputs and outputs? I'd like to re-arrange the PCB so that it works perfectly with the BIII as I don't think anyone can get the BII any more.

From first glance, it would appear that the power terminals have moved. and the digital input on the other end of the board also looks different. If someone can provide a good diagram with the bolt holes, digital inputs, power and output terminals clearly marked and referenced to the bottom left hand corner of the board (the one with the power terminals) it would be a very big help. If it's done well, there's a free board in it for whomever agrees to provide it.

I'm happy with my BII for the time being, and I don't really want to buy a BIII just so I can measure it.

Cheers,
Owen

Owen, I fully endorse spending time at F1 as long as you protected your hearing! I stayed up to try to watch both qualifying and the race, on race day (or night in my case) I fell asleep 30mins before start and woke to see Hamilton's parade lap, bugger. Race start is 4am my time. Damn. I don't miss many of them though. Canada and Brazil are the only two I'd miss really mostly due to an unfortunate race start time.

Can I ask that you don't go sacrificing the acko layout too much when you revise the pcb layout. I haven't actually purchased a DAC yet I think the acko board is looking more likely for my system.

Even though I don't have a BIII I could try doing up a layout diagram for you that would mainly be compiled from information from TPA's online manuals to save you some time.

Owen, the shunts are not optional on BIII and there is no onboard power at all. the digital inputs and switching are completely different and actually IMO overcomplicated, I think they require the external receiver MUX unless you send it TTL which as you know the ESS will take natively, but then you would be occupying one of the i2s inputs and stop any i2s switching. I dont think you can really cater for it on the board TBH and would not look forward to the delay it would cause to try, it would be a complete redesign.

if you thought the ackodac was complicated, BIII takes it to another level IMO

Last edited:
ask Iancanada, hes bought it recently and is part of this GB, he has made some adapters for his fifo sync mode clock adapters, so is bound to have taken some good measurements and may even be able to share usable documents (minus unwanted or proprietary detail) from his layouts

please dont get rid of the ackodac mounting holes!! its actually started to pick up steam with more owners including about 4-5 of us (that I know of) in this thread, I suppose it would be asking too much to have a signal input to suit, but please dont lose the mounting holes

Owen

I just did some measurement as attached. Let me know if you want more information.

Attachments

• Buffalo-III_Board_Outline.jpg
    Buffalo-III_Board_Outline.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 378
Hi Owen,

Hope the protest didn't interrupt the F1 too much...!

Since there's already a large BII base out there, including myself, I'm hoping you're planning on keeping the BII layout in there?

I'm not really wanting to change the BII since there's no real improvement in SQ/advantages going with BIII except for separate 8 output...

Thanks
Do

Completely concur
Bob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.