A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Remove the fets :)
1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1
28. analog_sa x2 + fets x 2 (shipping to US)[/QUOTE]
29. savvas + fets

thankyou for noticing lll it is lll and not III yes? or is it 111, 1ll? ha sorry...

I dont mean to be rude, i've just been through this scenario of trying to get people to read the conditions of GBs and it just doesnt work, you arent alone and I dont think it has anything to do with language, or intelligence, its very confusing to me.

I also remove the fet

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1

9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1
29. savvas + fets

Last edited:
well i'm the opposite, getting another heatsink this size would require getting a custom enclosure anyway, as fitting 2 of these beasts plus all the extras that make up a modern dac in a case just isnt going to happen, so may as well get a custom case that can do the heatsinking. any format that sinks the heat to panels that have external surfaces is good in my book, this thing can get pretty toasty

to be clear, before there is more people asking for fets, i'm not keen, I will not be doing another set to cater for the GB like last time. but the people already on the list asking for fets might be lucky

No worries about the fets, I didn't know if it was an option but I saw some folks posting. So I figured why not try anyway :p

no worries Ben, I included you, I just wanted to stop a flood by stating that upfront. those on the list now for fets i'll probably be able to take care of, but not a large group like last time

for you bigpandadahk, happy days!

hmm.. looks like I should just order 50 boards.

Alright, I'll start putting the panel together, and hopefully order the boards in the next week or two. There's a one week turn on the boards, so that should give a rough timeline on when these will ship out.

Regards,
Owen

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets

From a few days ago on the last page:

to be clear, before there is more people asking for fets, i'm not keen, I will not be doing another set to cater for the GB like last time. but the people already on the list asking for fets might be lucky

thanks hochopeper, correct I simply dont have the time, my business needs the time and I figure I gave enough to it last time. Each fet requires 10 mins or just under plus initial setup of the rig (which has been packed away), it needs this whether the fet makes the grade or not; and data entry, sorting, packing....

multiply that by 100-150 and.....measuring gM at the circuit operating point is not like measuring IDSS. I have posted my method if people want to do it, but let me warn you it is not a task to be taken on lightly, as I did when I agreed to do it the first time. even with full on measuring gear, or a curve tracer.

the cutoff was before that post, as well as Ian as I had already mentioned to him I would sort him with a set. i've got a heap that I already measured but didnt make my grading last time and another 100 or so that havent been measured, given my parameters were more than 100x tighter than what Nelson mentions for his power amps I might find more sets by loosening the requirements and charging less for them, but i'm not making any commitment; the whole scenario was a nightmare last time and I swore to myself I would never do that again.

I will see how things go and I WILL have a look at what I have already tested, I will do what I can, but my time and tbh patience is limited

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, since we already know the FET cutoff point, let's just leave the list as is and assume that everyone below the cutoff has it listed as a "nice to have". Perhaps if you get lucky with matching there will be enough for more people, but if not, that's just the way it goes.

To be clear, I'll be ordering 50 boards so the GB is still open until we hit those numbers. It won't delay the ordering of the boards however. They should be going out at the end of next week.

Regards,
Owen

and another one for me
1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets

sorry
1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1

9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets

Well, since we already know the FET cutoff point, let's just leave the list as is and assume that everyone below the cutoff has it listed as a "nice to have". Perhaps if you get lucky with matching there will be enough for more people, but if not, that's just the way it goes.

To be clear, I'll be ordering 50 boards so the GB is still open until we hit those numbers. It won't delay the ordering of the boards however. They should be going out at the end of next week.

Regards,
Owen

I have enough fets for everyone, but as it goes down the list and depending on my available time to test any more, the matches will be less and less effective. still better than just buying them as they will be selected, but unless I have a breakthrough with testing regime i simply cannot afford to put the time into it. particularly as it will follow directly after getting the LPUHP out the door and at the same time as getting the NTD1 PCBs out

@gusp...I appreciate I'm pushing it with the fets but hoping I'll be lucky...:)

sorry
1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1

9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1
28. analog_sa x2 + fets x 2 (shipping to US)
29. savvas + fets
30. lm1no2 x1 + fets[/QUOTE]
31. trickymicky X 1 + fets

very interesting! dont you think opc?

this I think is that case we were looking for, I reckon you could probably even run dual dacs using that side heatsink with the IV and dac mounted against the wall and bolted securely and still have plenty of room for an eleberate PSU, USB->i2s etc etc and if we band together we can probably get the price down as well as getting customized mounting arrangements and holes like he did for the NCore guys. pretty sexy too IMO

$240 plus shipping
Outside Dimension: W x H x L = 320mm x 216mm x 310mm(12.8''x8.64''x12.4'')
Inside Dimension: W x H x L = 272mm x 192mm x 296mm(10.88''x7.68''x11.84'')
Front Thickness: 10mm
Back Thickness: 4mm
Material: Aluminum
Finish: Brushed, hard anodized
Net Weight: 10kg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

indeed its pretty much perfect for this project as is. still looks like a dac chassis, slick looking and enough heatsink for 2 x ntd1, or 1 x ntd1 with shunt regs for the dac and an i2s/clock and dual dac people theres still easy enough alloy and space around to sink to if you need more. in fact I wouldnt really need an external PSU case with this fella provided we get some internal panels for a second floor. though I may still use an external box for AC just so I can use my cannons somewhere hehe.

the LCD type I had in mind was the one that AR2 used, which is actually a Noritake U
type VFD (Vacuum Florescent Display) , a drop in LCD replacement

dac-in-lab1.jpg

like I said, if we can get enough of us, they will customize mounting arrangements, holes etc.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi qusp,

I really like it! Having the correct front panel is imperative for me though. I need to have an option for mounting a knob (for ESS volume control), and I'd really prefer if the knob was provided with the front panel so we can all agree on something.

I'd also be up for an LCD, but again, it would need to be standard so it works for everyone.

Cheers,
Owen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.