A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
4. qusp x 1 this is tentative mate, but wanted to make sure my name was down
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2
25, Jean-Charles X1 +fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
hmm.. looks like I should just order 50 boards.

Alright, I'll start putting the panel together, and hopefully order the boards in the next week or two. There's a one week turn on the boards, so that should give a rough timeline on when these will ship out.

Regards,
Owen

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets

thanks hochopeper, correct I simply dont have the time, my business needs the time and I figure I gave enough to it last time. Each fet requires 10 mins or just under plus initial setup of the rig (which has been packed away), it needs this whether the fet makes the grade or not; and data entry, sorting, packing....

multiply that by 100-150 and.....measuring gM at the circuit operating point is not like measuring IDSS. I have posted my method if people want to do it, but let me warn you it is not a task to be taken on lightly, as I did when I agreed to do it the first time. even with full on measuring gear, or a curve tracer.

the cutoff was before that post, as well as Ian as I had already mentioned to him I would sort him with a set. i've got a heap that I already measured but didnt make my grading last time and another 100 or so that havent been measured, given my parameters were more than 100x tighter than what Nelson mentions for his power amps I might find more sets by loosening the requirements and charging less for them, but i'm not making any commitment; the whole scenario was a nightmare last time and I swore to myself I would never do that again.

1. cersepn x 1
2. icewall x 2
3. pmchoong x 1
5. regal
6. randytsuch x 1
7. LK x1
8. greyrab x1
9. alexcount x1
10. adelias x1
11. Coolhead x1 + fets
12. Emphrygian x 1
13. tranhieu x 1
14. crazyfrog x 1
15. woresseo x 2
16. Algar_emi x 1
17. ggetzoff x 1
18. syklab x1 + fets
19. Magsy x 1
20. Vitalica x2 + fets
21. Pinnocchio x 1
22. hochopeper x 1
23. neb001 x1 + fets
24. bigpandahk x 2 + fets
26,iancanada X1 + fets
27. lll X1+fets
28. analog_sa x2 + fets x 2 (shipping to US)

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
qusp:

It's funny how time heals all wounds... I swore I'd never ship another PCB, and yet here we are with another run of 50 NTD1s. :)

I'm secretly hoping a few people in this group want to do a nice chassis for this, as mine is still a mess of wires sitting in the back of my stereo rack. I have a design, I just don't want to spend the money on a one-off chassis like that.

Cheers,
Owen

qusp:

It's funny how time heals all wounds... I swore I'd never ship another PCB, and yet here we are with another run of 50 NTD1s. :)

I'm secretly hoping a few people in this group want to do a nice chassis for this, as mine is still a mess of wires sitting in the back of my stereo rack. I have a design, I just don't want to spend the money on a one-off chassis like that.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi Owen

Will this China made chasis meet your requirement, only cost $50. All alumimum including heat sink at both side.

Attachments

• DAC case.jpg
    DAC case.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 300
Can you guide me to the link were the upper chassis is available for 50 dollars.

The link below will show you hundreds of China made chasis. Although all information are in Chinese, you can see the photo and price in RMB. If you need help on translation or even order it, drop me a PM and I will try my best to help.

The chasis is very heavy 6-15kg, the shipping will be more expensive.

È«ÂÁ ¹¦·Å »úÏä_ÌÔ±¦ËÑË÷

qusp:

Cheers,
Owen
indeed mate, I cant believe i'm even considering getting that matching rig out, its like i'm watching myself in a car crash from outside. I even told hochopeper to slap me if he saw me considering it.

i'd be interested in the chassis perhaps, but probably my build requirements wont mesh with yours, I have 2 dacs in a dual stereo balanced setup, plus Ian's fifo, plus titan, 4 channel output, plus combined 2 channel headphone source output, MCU plus 1 or 2 xbee's and ideally a retro-ish LCD with wifi/ipad remote.

mostly external prereg and transformers with the only AC entering the case going to the NTD1 regs unless I bypass their bridges, which I might actually do just to keep it 'simple' the case would have to be a monster to fit it all in one so it would be a 2 box with DC umbilical with cannons

Hi Owen

Will this China made chasis meet your requirement, only cost $50. All alumimum including heat sink at both side.

not a chance for me

They have huge size chassis which can accommodate all your parts. Some even has the PASS logo on the front panel:D

in that case they arent getting a cent of my money! besides I dont want a huge poweramp case, I still want it to look like a dac and most of the heatsinks on these cases are not terribly useful, there needs to be a way to couple the floor very well thermally to the floor. no I think the case needs to be purpose built and I really dont approve of theft of intellectual property; so dont care how cheap they are and using a company that fakes Papas logo for cases to accommodate a dac IV design originally freely given by papa would be in very bad taste.

sorry but this sort of thing does not sit well with me at all

Last edited:
cool, glad you are on the same page :cool:

you may be waiting a while, as I had just about totally decided against using the D1 for my other channels, not because I dont like it, but because its such a space hog and really requires a custom heatsink, or a custom chassis to do properly even with 1 of them, but ive not been able to find another design I like as much, the build except for the second D1 and the control systems is all working on the bench, but arranging everything optimally and financing the custom case will take some time. probably the PSU case will just be made from T6 alloy channel and plate and kept out of sight, but I guess its time to start modelling up the dac chassis.

cool, glad you are on the same page :cool:

you may be waiting a while, as I had just about totally decided against using the D1 for my other channels, not because I dont like it, but because its such a space hog and really requires a custom heatsink, or a custom chassis to do properly even with 1 of them, but ive not been able to find another design I like as much, the build except for the second D1 and the control systems is all working on the bench, but arranging everything optimally and financing the custom case will take some time. probably the PSU case will just be made from T6 alloy channel and plate and kept out of sight, but I guess its time to start modelling up the dac chassis.

Your progress is much better than me, I am still waiting for the delivery of BIII and the next GB for the NTD1 PCB. The only component ready is Ian's FIFO. Still a long way to go before thinking about the chassis.

yeah I have 1 x AKD12P + titan + D1 in a case (with the lid off to enable my constant tweaking) and a second AKD12P on the bench with fifo and with opc's BAL-BAL 'the wire' headphone amp connected directly acting as a buffered IV stage that can drive headphones (spectacularly well I might add Owen and it doesnt make a bad IV stage either)

so putting basically double the below plus MCU, display and control systems into one case I think would make it impossible to have a clean layout. much easier (though still not easy) to do it with 2

Attachments

• 2nd dac breadboard madness_24Apr2012_0863.jpg
    2nd dac breadboard madness_24Apr2012_0863.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.