A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, yeah Iloveswan, I suppose I can test one or 2 for TC,

btw guys I normally pay by visa debit card to Texas components, so haven't had to worry, but when I checked my payment after confirm payment I noticed a 5% 'convenience' fee had been added when i paid by paypal, one would think that with such prices these things would be covered as just the cost of doing business.........(at least do it in the background so I don't know lol), so I'm going to have to get you guys to add 5% of your orders and add to the fêts payment. Sorry for taking another bite at the cherry, but 5% of this order isn't loose change.

Speaking of which opc, have you got the mosfet matching/testing guidelines/parameters and circuit ready for me mate? Haven't got any mail from you.

Also guys, those who wanted extras like regs and caps from me, i'm making the orders this weekend, so we need to sort this out asap. Will send you all an email tomorrow, so those that need to make preparations to have paypal funds available, please do it now as I cannot afford the delays of last time, as a friend if mine in oz who is getting some things too, he needs to do it this weekend. Will make the Conrad order late this week sometime so if anyone else is keen, please act fast. I got details for the pricing on and cartage on the most appropriately sized model. Those who would like details please email me.

Think that covers it.

The ? Caps form a plain vanilla rc filter, which you can find calculators for it all over the net and depends on the input impedance of the next stage and your desired bandwidth what exact value you need there. I dont think you want any cap recommendations from me :D what's your budget and what is the source resolution 44/48/96/192/384? I do know good value caps too, but that's a subjective term in itself so I need a budget before I make any suggestions.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The ? Caps form a plain vanilla rc filter, which you can find calculators for it all over the net and depends on the input impedance of the next stage and your desired bandwidth what exact value you need there. I dont think you want any cap recommendations from me :D what's your budget and what is the source resolution 44/48/96/192/384? I do know good value caps too, but that's a subjective term in itself so I need a budget before I make any suggestions.

For input impedance 1Meg & sampling 384kHz?

@qusp
Please link me to spreadsheet or let me know the values.

Thanks in advance

Felipe

Hi mate, I'll dig out a link to a calc online. You can find many rc filter calculators, some for speaker xo and others for opamp filters etc, all can be repurposed for this pretty straight forward filter. Sorry for lag, I'm still moving and on the iPad for all forum stuff at the moment; so don't have access to any of my research or links. I'm setting up the Mac today at some point, so will post details after that's done. In the meantime google is your friend. With 1meg inputZ you can pretty much treat it as infinite so should have little or no effect, it's the rc filter formed by ? And the r nearby, sorry don't have the schematic handy

The 22 uF cap loaded by the parallel combination of the 100K R and the input impedance of the following stage would be what you are mentioning. The formula is fc=1/(2 * pie *R* C) or fc=1/6.283185307*R*C
where fc is in hertz, R is in ohms, and C is in farads.

The only tricky part is that in this case = R total= 1/(1/R)+(1/100000) practically you could forget about the 100K as its effect will be less than the accuracy of the parts.

The other way to look at it is that the output unloaded has a corner frequency of 0.1 Hz

The "?" capacitor is on the input forming a low pass filter with the DAC output impedance. Does anyone know what the Buffalo II output impedance is? I am guessing with only 4 outputs +- L +- R that they are paralleling two outputs of about 190 ohms if I remember? so roughly 95 ohms?

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I've received a few questions about shipping, and it has been a while since my last update, so hopefully this will help.

I can officially say that as of this evening, almost every single board has shipped, but they were all late going out. I'd like to apologize for all the delays in shipping... this whole thing turned out to be far more work than I had anticipated, and I was way behind in getting these out.

I've attached a list which shows the status of everyone's kits. If it says NOV 15 under the ship date, then it means your parts went out on that date. If you have an X under your name in the "Packed" column, then it means your kit was shipped this evening. There are only 4 people who's kits are not shipped:

Merlin - I still need to build up your board, but it will go out before the weekend

qusp, gogu, jameshillj - I need to get qusp's latest address, then I'll send these out tomorrow.

Pierre - I'll build your board at the same time as Merlin's, and we can arrange a local pickup/delivery.

There were 3 dropouts, plus the extra board from qusp which means that a total of 4 boards are up for grabs for those on the waiting list. If you're interested in a board, and aren't on the list I just posted, send me a note ASAP and I'll get you added. If I get payment before tomorrow night, then I'll ship your boards tomorrow night. Send me an email or a PM.

Sorry again for all the delays, but thankfully everything has shipped!

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• Board Payments DAC 8.pdf
    28.9 KB · Views: 100
yeah I dont get that either gogo, unless you were wanting the smd's stuffed (I assumed you had told opc that was what was happening).

OPC: Flocchini is getting his sent with mine and was to be chopped like mine, have you sent it to him instead? jameshilly was getting his stuffed though right? I dont have any PM's from him, but do think I remember there being something in the thread.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I've received a few questions about shipping, and it has been a while since my last update, so hopefully this will help.

I can officially say that as of this evening, almost every single board has shipped, but they were all late going out. I'd like to apologize for all the delays in shipping... this whole thing turned out to be far more work than I had anticipated, and I was way behind in getting these out.

I've attached a list which shows the status of everyone's kits. If it says NOV 15 under the ship date, then it means your parts went out on that date. If you have an X under your name in the "Packed" column, then it means your kit was shipped this evening. There are only 4 people who's kits are not shipped:

Merlin - I still need to build up your board, but it will go out before the weekend

qusp, gogu, jameshillj - I need to get qusp's latest address, then I'll send these out tomorrow.

Pierre - I'll build your board at the same time as Merlin's, and we can arrange a local pickup/delivery.

There were 3 dropouts, plus the extra board from qusp which means that a total of 4 boards are up for grabs for those on the waiting list. If you're interested in a board, and aren't on the list I just posted, send me a note ASAP and I'll get you added. If I get payment before tomorrow night, then I'll ship your boards tomorrow night. Send me an email or a PM.

Sorry again for all the delays, but thankfully everything has shipped!

Cheers,
Owen

Owen, don't worry just arrived the Legato so I am busy doing the set-up.

Cheers

Felipe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.