A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

qusp:

At this point it might be best to just find a buyer for your second board as well as the SMD parts as a kit. I made the global decision to sell each board as a kit with the SMD components since I thought interest was unanimous.

I'd rather not get stuck with an extra set of SMD parts, so that would be best with me. I guess I misunderstood that you wanted two boards but only one set of SMD parts.

Let me know if you're okay with letting go of the second board with it's SMD parts.

Merlin:

I think you're correct, we have a surplus of two boards at the moment.

one from Lauret and one from qusp.

As I mentioned, pars seemed interested earlier, so he might take one.

I also just got a note from Salomon saying he'll take one. Hopefully that covers everything.

Thanks again,
Owen

one last post had an email to take care of now i'm off to bed.

@ opc: no problem keeping it together mate, whatever works for you. I only did the 1 set of smd out of convenience so I didnt have to search through all my parts boxes (which are all going into boxes as i'm in the middle of moving house as we speak) and decide what I needed and what I didnt, so I asked for the one set and was at the time thinking I might get a few more things to take advantage of the GB pricing, but before I knew it you had ordered already.

as my email said, I really need very few smd parts because most are in the regulator section, which I will use at some point, but have no need for right now. buying 2 sets of smd would be crazy.

so yeah if you would prefer to keep them together and dont mind hanging onto my second PCB to sell with the parts, then thats fine with me, but I also do not want to see you stuck with a board because of me, so have no problem paying for the second PCB only (no parts) if needed.

and if a few people would like to send their kits over here with mine together for me to do the SMD then thats fine too, we'll work something out.

@ merlin neither do I mate, totally with you there, but buying a 3rd board for me would just be silly

night guys!! :cheers:

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
one last post had an email to take care of now i'm off to bed.

@ opc: no problem keeping it together mate, whatever works for you. I only did the 1 set of smd out of convenience so I didnt have to search through all my parts boxes (which are all going into boxes as i'm in the middle of moving house as we speak) and decide what I needed and what I didnt, so I asked for the one set and was at the time thinking I might get a few more things to take advantage of the GB pricing, but before I knew it you had ordered already.

as my email said, I really need very few smd parts because most are in the regulator section, which I will use at some point, but have no need for right now. buying 2 sets of smd would be crazy.

so yeah if you would prefer to keep them together and dont mind hanging onto my second PCB to sell with the parts, then thats fine with me, but I also do not want to see you stuck with a board because of me, so have no problem paying for the second PCB only (no parts) if needed.

and if a few people would like to send their kits over here with mine together for me to do the SMD then thats fine too, we'll work something out.

@ merlin neither do I mate, totally with you there, but buying a 3rd board for me would just be silly

night guys!! :cheers:

You are a very good person, don't worry if Pars don't buy your pcb & smd parts I will buy to Owen, if you need only the pcb without smd parts I only buy the smd parts to Owen (but remember I don't know to solder SMD).

Go quiet to bed.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

So far so good! Quite a few payments have come through, and things seem to be settling down a little bit. It looks like all the boards are spoken for, which is a big relief for me.

I've attached an updated list, and I would like it if everyone who has paid can make sure they're marked as such, and make sure all your options are correct. I should be able to start shipping a lot of these out tomorrow, but it depends on how long the packing and sorting takes. I'm pretty sure everything is correct, but it's nice to have everyone double check.

By the way, if anyone is buying up parts, I found a heatsink that is cheaper and significantly better than the Ohmite one originally specified. Same footprint, but no holes behind the die.

Digi-Key - HS346-ND (Manufacturer - 513102B02500G)

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• Board Payments DAC 3.pdf
    28 KB · Views: 88
Hi Owen,

For me a set of 4 FETs FQA32N20C's = 10$ CAD ?
Resistors set 4 ohmite 400 ohms = 24$ CAD ?
PCB 20$ CAD ?
SMD parts 23$ CAD ?
Shipping to Germany 8$ CAD ?

Please let me know total amount with shipping expenses to Germany to do the Paypal payment

Cheers,
Horst

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

It would really be worthwhile for someone to do a matched group buy for transistors. You could easily get the price down to $1.00 per fet, and then charge a little for the matching service. I have had a lot of interest, but I only have one rail of the fets, and I don't want to part with all of them.

I would be more than willing to help someone set up a matching circuit. Once set up, it just takes time to run each transistor through.

Matching my devices into pairs made a very measurable difference in this circuit.

Merlin:

The list has been updated to include you as paid.

Salomon:

I don't have any fets or resistors left to sell, only the board and the SMD parts. For Germany, that would be a total of $51.

Regards,
Owen

right, yeah I was going to buy some more fets too, I have 10 here, but that may or may not be enough to get 2 matched pairs that are closely matched. I would love to get the thin film ohmites too, but I dont know anywhere that has both values in stock. does digikey carry them? from memory I saw them at mouser one time, but very limited range. I could do the matching for VGS if you can tell me optimum values, but I dont really have the spare coin to buy a crapload of fets till after the move, all my spare coin has gone into that for the moment.

speaking of coin, i'll send you another email in a sec mate.

Hello,

@ Owen
It is ok, that I get only the PCB and the SMD Kit
I have send you the money for it with PayPal 1 hour before.

But it is very difficult to get the Caddock resistors (4x 400 Ohm and 4x 200 Ohm) in Germany. The PCB-Design is made for the Caddock or other good TO220 Resistors. I hope I will find them, because i will not solder in other resistors. It would not look good on the PCB.

best regards
Horst

The problem are the Caddock resistors. The other parts I will find easier.
In Germany it is easier to get the 500R value instead of the 400R. Is it possible in this circuit to take 200R and 500R instead 200R and 400R?
I think I get 25% more Output-Level.
Get I other problems?

Regards
Horst

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
qusp:

I picked up my Ohmite thin film resistors from Mouser, but I bought the last 12 pcs they had.

There must be a few other distributors that have stock somewhere. It's a bit of a specialty part, but it is listed as standard on the datasheet.

Salomon:

If at all possible, I would stick with the 400R value. You can use any TO-220 style resistors in this position, so check out DK, mouser and any of the others to see if anyone has stock. A quick search on Mouser brought up at least 3 options from Ohmite and Bournes

resistor

Regards,
Owen

I havent tried the bournes to220 parts, do you have an opinion on them opc? do they have the mounting hole or just like ohmite? I have some other things on backorder at mouser, maybe i'll add the ohmite to that, depends on whether its a usual stock item or if I have to order 10000 of them

Sorry, I have the next question:

Typical applications use the LM317 and the LM337 with a max. input voltage of 35V to max. 40V. In the Datasheet I also found the max. value 40V.

If we use a transformer with 40C AC we get over 50V DC on the Input of the regulators.
Maybe we should make with a little bit lower voltage.
Are 35V on the Output of the regulators not enough?
Plaese help me, if i think wrong.

The 400R from Caddock I will order and wait a little bit for them.It`s ok, I don´t need them tomorrow.

regards
Horst

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.