A New Take on the Classic Pass Labs D1 with an ESS Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
will see if anyone else is interested in VCAP before bailing, makes no difference to me as i'll just grab when i'm ready and SG is not even all that much cheaper for me, gotten with an order (international shipping blows small orders out bigtime to Au) the difference in price is really not that much, but I tried all these years ago. for a metalized PP cap the SG is OTT expensive. the new range coming soon is priced more inline with what I would expect for PP

I take the relabeling others products thing back, its unproven rumor. tried to edit

Last edited:
It was just a suggestion (just wanted some opinions, not actually change anything). Let's keep the Auricap XO since lots of people already signed for it. I've also left the Vcap CuTF in the list. I believe Teflon is a better bypass cap but its price is restrictive, at least for me at the moment if I want to be able to buy everything else.

Qusp, are you staying in the cap list for the Auricap XO?

Do

yeah i'll stay in for auricap, i'll just add bypass caps when I get around to it, for now i'll just use some small copper and polystyrene or copper and pps for bypass, these I already have.

so I suppose we should decide on a value for these Auricap. i'm using 4.7uf, thats fine for all but quite low input impedance amps, 3.3uf is fine for most. the BOM calls for a 10uf cap to cover all bases, but it would be pretty extreme case that needed anything that high.

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
For most people 3.3uF should be fine. It plays well with anything that has 10k or higher input impedance.

If your next stage happens to have very low input impedance, like 600 ohms, then you'll need to go up to at least a 22uF cap.

The 10uF specified is to ensure there is minimal rolloff even if the load is 1k.

I would argue that if your next stage has low input impedance, even a crummy 22uF cap will sound noticeably better than a very good 3.3uF as the latter will roll off the bottom end and cause an associated phase shift which will be audible.

I'm not saying that 3.3uF is too small, but I am saying that you need to consider what the next piece of equipment in the chain looks like in terms of input impedance before selecting a value for that cap, especially at the prices you guys are looking at ;)

Cheers,
Owen

for sure Owen, i'm just prompting discussion for exactly the reasons you state, I dont want people spending lots on caps that arent large enough, or too much for caps that are far larger than they need (physically as well, as this will impact on analogue performance)

I have a very simple excel calc that shows the 3db corner point and rough 10x rule of thumb for phase distortion, given cap size and amp input impedance.ive had it for years since I was just beginning 'diy' doing ipod iMODs and all that jazz. so if anyone would like that, shoot me a PM with your email, doesnt want to let me attach an .xls file here, i'll try compressing it to see if that helps.

perhaps we should have 2 values, say 3.3 and 6.8uf? but if those who dont know what they need would like to do the calc, that would be recommended before we go any further. suppose it depends on how much extra it pushes the price down if we get all 1 value.

hey i'm going to see if Auricap will respond to me directly if I use my credentials =) this is a reasonable size order, we could perhaps bypass PCX entirely

Last edited:

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Just a quick update on the status of the GB...

Absolutely everything is packed up, addressed and ready to go out in the morning. The four bigger boxes are going out to the four distributors, and the smaller padded envelopes are the Canadian orders. I would expect a few of the Canadian orders will arrive before the weekend, but the international ones will take about a week to arrive. After that, it's just local shipping.

You can also check the following spreadsheet for exactly what mosfet set you happened to get. I have added usernames beside each set:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnMLwB9mdXl2dEthOUZuS2VzMmpLNTcyOXR4TGp3S0E

Cheers,
Owen

Attachments

• IMG_8208.JPG
    IMG_8208.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 288
ok then we better start wrapping stuff up, if I make the zfoil order in the next couple of days they'll be ready for shipping to me by the time the parts arrive here, so would then require about 1 week from that point for me to get everything packed up and ready to include them when they arrive.

sound like a plan? doesnt sound like anyone is up for the vcap so thats easy

i've sent Audience an email about the order, hopefully I get word back in the next day or 2. I asked about 70 pieces in 4.7 and 6.8uf

Last edited:
ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Pinnocchio
Bigpandahk
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
necplusultra

Capacitors - Vcap CuTF for Bypass

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp

ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
Regland

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Pinnocchio
Bigpandahk
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
necplusultra
Regland

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp

what is everyone planning for enclosures? I must say i'm surprised at the small amount of interest in a case thats perfect, attractive and well priced. i'm not sure the majority here realize whats required to house this IV stage properly, i'm not even sure opc has it in a case yet...

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't :(

But I do have plans! I just need access to a table saw and a non-ferrous blade which won't happen until Christmas.

The case suggested does indeed look great, I just fear that cost would be prohibitive. Before I go back and look for the old post about it, do you know how much they would be if we had say 10-15 people?

Cheers,
Owen

i'll have to go back and check what he said, its been a while, but from memory what we ended up with was a customized case with tapping to match our hole patterns on the heatsink, all mounting hardware and the ability to customize the internal setup to suit, say for example an internal secondary floor, mounted in the middle of the case that only extends ~75% across towards the heatsink that we can mount USB, fifo and clocking, any control, maybe a couple shunt regs, or headphone amp etc. on and allow the shortest distance to the IV stage and dac, which is of course mounted vertically jutting out from the heatsink towards it. this leaves the entire bottom floor still for various power supply transformers, preregulators etc, keeping them nice and far away.

its the only case ive seen that will actually provide fairly well as standard, for a really clean layout of this dac without serious customization

basically it meant that we got that stuff for free if we can agree on some standard holes. I dont think its that expensive given it comes standard with all the heatsink needed. given that you either need to make a case from scratch, or modify a poweramp case to get enough heatsink. i'll go back and check my exchange with him and repost. i'll be doing it regardless, but if theres enough of us it becomes more viable to customize it to our needs, proper milled connector holes, hole and mounting for a display and even pretty reasonable pricing on laser etching for a logo or something (though this is more dramatic with black anodized etched back to silver, rather than silver on silver)

whoops misread Do's post as yours opc, it wasnt there

Even those who have the tools and skills (and that will be the minority, I sure dont) the time to make such a case is significant and worth more than the cost of the case to most of us, so you have to be really into that side of things as a hobby for it to be worthwhile. to be able to model up the hole pattern (I can do this here in a format thats useful to him) and receive a case that has been designed to spec and comes with all fasteners, so that it just all slots together, thats pretty priceless for the time poor and it would still be unique enough to feel like what it is, high end DIY, not to the level of the F5X GB, but getting there.

i'll drop him another email and report back

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
One buyer never did pay or respond, so I pulled them off the list.

I offered the board to Magsy who was first in line, but after a few days I haven't heard anything there either.

If I still haven't heard anything in the next few days, I'll let you know. You would have to take both the board and a set of fets, and shipping will be a little more as the Australia package shipped out today.

Cheers,
Owen

ZFoil

Qusp
Pinnocchio
MisterRogers
Rolle
BigPandahk
Reenberg
lwif
analog_sa
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
vitalica
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo

Capacitors - Auricap XO

Pinnocchio
Bigpandahk
reenberg
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
MisterRogers
hirez69
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
necplusultra
Regland
woresseo

Keratherm

Pinnocchio
bigpandahk
Reenberg
Rolle
hirez69
lwif
atom6422
crazikid
flocchini
MisterRogers
lm1no2
Coolhead
ccliu
macfixer
tehrkn
kasey197
Blitz
Slartibartfasst
necplusultra
woresseo

Enclosure

Pinnocchio
Rolle
crazikid
MisterRogers
ccliu
qusp
woresseo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.